Hinoki False Cypress 'Nana Gracilis'

Brandon, FL(Zone 9a)

Last week (September 27th) I received my Hinoki False Cypress 'Nana Gracilis' from Heronswood Nursery. The plant arrived bone dry due to it sitting in the UPS warehouse over the weekend I guess - the invoice was printed on September 22nd. I watered it immediately and set it out on my front porch (north side of house) to acclimate it for 3 days before I plant it in a 20x20 container.

Any suggestions on helping this plant make it?

Thumbnail by sinkevito
Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice looking tree! I don't have any suggestions, hope it makes it ok.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Looks very happy to me!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9a)

I planted the Hinoki False Cypress 'Nana Gracilis' into a 20x20 container. I used the following soil mix: two and a half parts potting mix (sphagnum peat moss, perlite, starter charge, dolomitic limestone, calcitic limestone) to one part pine bark fines and one part crushed lava rock. I will keep it on the front porch (north side of house) for an additional week to further allow it to acclimate before moving it to the east side of the house with morning sun.

It looks healthy so hopefully it makes it even though it arrived bone dry.

Thumbnail by sinkevito
Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

That's a cutie, sinkevito. The rainy season got mine. Too much rain. By the time I noticed an "illness" it was too late. I think they like some dryness, or at least a soil that won't stay saturated. I will try again so take notes, ok?

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I concur with wormfood: hinoki's need good drainage.
But I find they also benifit from a little afternoon shade in hot climates.
I've had a couple succumb to relentless summer sun / heat.
My plants in partial shade look much happier.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.