Question: Is it OK to Re-Arrange / Transplant?

Portland, OR(Zone 6a)

Hi there,

My TBI finally produced deep purple flowers for the first time in its new home after being moved 3 years ago.

Now, I would like to divide and re-arrange my rhizomes to straighten them out. (are they suppose to grow sideways instead of vertically?) Is it necessary to do this?

Would it flower if I take one rhizomes and planted somewhere else? Do I have to wait another 3 years before it flowers?

Would it hurt them in anyway being disturbed?

Thanks.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_DFqWwY3ggp4/TJVn79CqLaI/AAAAAAAAB4Y/89w2IwJmj-Y/s144/002%20%287%29.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3l6wgP5A9-lv7Bbc1Ac0tw?feat=directlink

South Hamilton, MA

They look straight to me. the rhizomes are a stem really, so don't need to be straight. Your flower stem looks good.

Portland, OR(Zone 6a)

irisMA

Thank you for your answer, I won't straighten them out.

What about move one rhizome to another location? Do you know if it would flower next spring? I should take a drive down to Salem and ask Shreiner's Garden Family.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I think it varies a lot as to how long a newly planted/moved rhizome takes to start blooming. I am sure some of the experts here can give you a more definite answer though.

Since I am not familiar with your climate, I can only say that generally, irises are best divided/moved after they bloomed. They need to be established before winter.

As far as blooming after transplanting, it depends upon how old the transplant is. Usually, the side rhizomes that are produced on both side of this year's blooming root will be next year's bloom. It can also depend on the variety. I have purchased rhizomes from Schreiner and a few need an extra year before blooming.

Edited to add that it is not uncommon for irises to bloom the second year after planted. Be sure that you don't plant the rhizome deeply. It likes to have the top of it exposed to the sun for it to bloom. Plant level with the soil.

Your best bet is to ask Shreiner. You can email them and they ususally will answer.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2010 10:18 PM

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I had to peak at your Picasa site. What a beautiful Oasis you have created. I just love all the plantings and pots and hanging planters. It must be just a delight to sit out there with a nice cup of coffee in the AM and a nice glass of wine in the PM. Hat's off to your hard work.

South Hamilton, MA

You can drink something besides coffee & it doesn't affect the garden.☺

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Cute-LOL

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Hey Blomma and Rebloomnut, how cold are your winters? How long does the snow stay and how deep? I am working on getting my bearded iris, the taller ones, to make it through the winter (many rotted), and this year they plants were huge (Schreiners) but no blooms. Been in the ground two years. Heard that if they are too close together they won't bloom. The little guys, dwarf like Hottentot and Autumn Jester seem to work better. Also finally got Red Lady and two other taller ones to bloom. I took a chance and moved them apart and replanted this fall. In fact about a week ago. After a really rotten rainy summer the fall is turning out gorgeous so maybe they have time to get 'situated' before the long dark night ahead. I put about 1" of dirt on them last year and cleared it firs thing this spring. Still lost some. Driving me nuts trying to figure out why some rot and others don't when they appear to have the same treatment. Do you protect yours in the winter? thanks.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

We don't even try to protect ours anymore. This past winter 63" of snow fell in one month and the cold Northern winds didn't seem to do much harm. When we started digging our iris last month, we found some that had rotten Mothers and small rhizomes, while others right next to them, covered with a couple of years of oak leaves, grew very large rhizomes with no rot at all. Go figure. You are bound to lose some no matter what you do. Some of our problems are probably our high altitude (7,000') and soil heaved from days of snow and then sunshine that warms up enough to wear short sleeved shirts. lol

Surprising Wit stood for years without blooming at all, then last year and this year it bloomed. It was a $40.00 iris from Cooley's as a bonus. I thought the rhizomes would be small, but they weren't.

The labels are almost 8" long ~

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
South Hamilton, MA

The main problem is heaving. Put a brick or a rock on top of the rhizome this winter, & remove early in the spring. Snow cover does help as insulation.

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I know what you mean, HappyJack. We have the same extremes in weather. I guess I have to agree about your statement that some will rot and some won't. It helps to have confirmation thought. I can stop driving myself nuts trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Fact is if some survive, then I am ahead of the game. We'll see what happens next year. Moved pretty much everyone. lol. 63" in one month. Wow. Our ground freezes solid quickly so jacking isn't a problem.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I have 2 that were sticking out of the ground enough before the first good freeze so I put a brick on each one. I had read about the brick or rock on another thread so am hoping for the best.

South Hamilton, MA

it should work

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.