What's Happening in your neck of the woods?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us over from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1127088/

61 degrees here today and just noticed it was raining..do hope it's a sunshine day in your neck of the woods!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

We have had beautiful, warm weather this week but rain starting tonight and lasting through the weekend. Lots of it too, they are saying 100 mm in some places so I guess it will be in the house work this weekend.
Glad you are feeling better Betty.
Found this little guy in the garden last weekend.

Thumbnail by growum
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Missed there was a new thread so I am reposting my little 'pot' story.

Susan it is on the corner of 14th Street and 16 Avenue SW.

This morning needed to go to LH and on my way, as happens twice every time I go there I pass a store called Tiempo which has decorative stuff for home/garden mostly I think from Mexico. It has been on that corner for about 15 years and the windows always have interesting things but I have never gone in. But the past while there has been a set of pots that I reallly like and today - having my first cash from my RIF I felt a bit flush so I went in to check the price and came home with all 3 pots! I will arrange them together in one of the garden beds next spring. They are clay and painted so I cant leave them out all winter - I think the color might fade. They are actually a bit darker than the pic appears.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Just love those pots...

Susan, got your package, just love the material, excited to use it for a specialty project! You are too kind!

OMG..talk about blending into the background, you'd have to see movement I'm sure before realizing it's a critter. Don't you be floating away with that much rain, perhaps we should have built you an Ark..

Can you all remember us complaining about the heat? I'm already longing for it..lol

Tired tonight, going to bathe, take meds and get comfy into flannel sheets...

Hope you all got to do something for you today..

Good Lord willing we'll gab tomorrow!

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

I was raking when he/she started to hop. It waited for me to run into the house and get the camera. Never would have seen it, if it hadn't moved.
Those pots are really nice - beautiful colour!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow talk about camoflage!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Yep he sure does, good job he isn't that beautiful blue color , if he was he would be dinner!
Ann

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

S N O W !!! In the forecast for this evening here in Thunder Bay .. have decided NOT to believe it as we have had such wonderful weather this week.

Lots of volunteering being done this past while .. United Way is in full swing, as are several initiatives for the local Food Bank and Shelter ..keeps me outta trouble LoL.

TGIF and I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Say it isn't so "M" oh no..
Next weekend with the boys coming for thanksgiving I'll get them to help me winterize everything, shut down the pond, put all the garden art away and now that I've had my back deck covered in I'll not worry about that part of it..

October brings all sorts of weather, this morning I left home earlier than usual, sun was rising over the trees on the back concession, had to stop a few times are really open my eyes as it was so bright and colors overwhelming, especially the yellow and reds..

Going to Meaford tomorrow for the Scarecrow Festival & Craft show, am hoping I don't forget my camera because travelling around bottom end of Georgian Bay can be so beautiful at this time of year.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh no! The S word. Eeeek!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Went to the Quilt & Knitting shop across the road a few minutes ago, need a sweater on but lordy, what a gorgeous day..best we take advantage while it lasts..

And Marilynne once again goes on her rant about meteorologists being paid by the accuracy of their forecasts !!
Was up at 4am with the pup .. and NO snow.. nothing .. temp was 5C .. sky was clear with a lovely half moon and stars.

Volunteering at a local Mall today .. collecting food articles for the local Food Bank .. the Food Bank itself requested help from other volunteer organizations to help with the collection .. so I am there representing the AIDS Committee of TBay .. I think it'll be kinda fun, at least I don't have to stand outside .. altho .. it IS a bright sunshiney day ^_^

ENjoy your day everyone .. and .. look at the splendor of Natures leaves ^_^

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Still lovely weather here.

My lily order which went from Edmonton to Mississauga to Calgary finally arrived on Thursday- 12 days! Fortunately the shipper packs very well and the bulbs were OK. ( Refund on the shipping since it was Expidited Post and was gauranteed to arrive in 2 days!)So I got them in the ground yesterday and got about half of my remaining little bulbs in, should get that finished this morning or tomorrow morning ( or both!)

This afternoon I am heading over to a nearby community centre to help with some planting. A friend who lives in that community has got them to start a community garden ( big thing here in Calgary at the moment) and they have also set up rain barrels, compost bins and a big raised perennial bed. I and others have been contributing plants but the dirt for the bed just arrived this week so today is get everything in the ground day! I dont know how many beds they have set up for members to garden.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Spent the day in Meaford yesterday, although sunny with the wind coming off Georgian Bay I could have dressed warmer; was a bit chilled so as soon as I came home a hot bath is what I needed.

Disappointed in the show, the girls I went with all came to same conclusion, because we do knitting, stained glass, decorative painting, crochet, metal work, etc.etc.etc. there wasn't an 'ahhhh got to have that moment' so put my $$$ I saved away in my 'fun' money and when I go the the big Harvest craft show in Hamburg N.Y. next month I'll have it to spend.

This morning, I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit, want to take out the fall inside/outside decorations and get that done before the months slips by and it's time to do the Christmas ones...yikes, not a word to be taken lightly is it.

Both you gals "M" & "Carole" offer so mucy to the community, sure do hope the know what treasures they have in you!

Well it's coffee time, maybe get into some heavy clothing and go see what mischief I can get into

Be back on a break

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Our first real frost last night, quite a shock to the system after the tropical weather we had last week. Promises to be a nice day today though.
Just put Amish Friendship Bread in the oven. Picked my grapes yesterday so will put them on to juice and do grape jelly tonight.
May have a beach afternoon - not too many of them left.

Thumbnail by growum
Victoria Harbour, ON

Bread smells wonderful...yum/yum - mouth is watering over the grapes, I've loads of fines but no grapes, not sure why?

OMG, beach day, you can still have a beach day..

Cold here today but sunny, had frost last night I believe, first time in my neck of the woods!

Been in and out of back shed bringing in Fall/Halloween goodies, almost tempted to throw 1/2 of them away, still might do

Ahhhhhhh .. the melodious 'scrape, scrape, scrape of the scraper as it slashes through the FROST and shoves it off the windows and windshield of the car. I do think that winter is hovering somewhere out there, waiting to SPRING on us .

Sorry to hear Meaford was a bust Betty, but I betcha Hamburg will be better .. fingers crossed.

Mmmmmmmmm fresh homemade GRAPE JELLY .. how awesome Laurie .. I was going to do cranberries (high bush) into jelly this year, but it seems either the bear, deer or birds OR all of the aforementioned critters .. hope you get lots and enjoy every bit of it ^_^

Birthday day for me and i am enjoying not having to think up supper LoL .. we'll be having Chinese Food .. not my total favourite .. but .. we have NO Red Lobster in TBay.
There are 2 very large mysterious looking boxes in the extra bedroom that I have been banned from opening as of yet .. but, so far I have gotten new mittens and several replacements for kitchen items I have inadvertently KILLED over the past year LoL

It is a gorgeous fall day here and I do believe I will TRY to leash up Piper and take him along with Lilly and me and walk the back pathway .. I'll try to take a pic .. but the leaves are falling like rain today .. may not be many left ..

Have a wonderful day !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Birthday "M" drats, going to have to make myself a reminder to check the birthday list. Oooh did you ask for something special??? but it fit into the sized boxes that are waiting for you??? I'm excited to hear what you've gotten.

I smell like smoke, great time this morning for burning.

Greg just dropped in to move the mini-trailer for me, he wasn't happy with Ned..got his i-phone yesterday and Ned chewed the case all up so Greg went to Barrie this morning and $46.00 later has a new case...pups..got to love them..wasn't it a few months ago the Braedon's puppy ate Jeff's guitar case? lol..

Enjoy your meal "M" sure am wishing you the best.

Back outside I go, should really be raking up leaves..ahh thought came to me, maybe I could host a $20.00 contest next weekend when the boys come, i.e. who can rake the most bags of leave in 1 hr. - think it could work? that they'd fall for it?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy Birthday Marilyn!

Betty it's worth a try!

Not so nice today as the past few, I am off to the Zoo- checking out the facilities, local peony group is hosting the Annual meeting of the Canadian Peony Society next summer.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Will you get the chance to visit the zoo at same time?

Perfect day out there, although you can tell it's late afternoon, just had to put the fireplace on to take away the chill!

Managed to make applesauce with the apples they give you at the Meaford Warehouse for coming in, have my goodies prep. for supper, got 2 rows done on the rag quilt blanket I'm doing for Greg, goodies in the firepit all burnt, about 90% of fall decorations have been taken out, painting checkerboard design on a floormat that I'm doing for a DG friend who I will see in a few weeks, so I'm up and down as they say like a 'toilet' seat, accomplishing much but NOT all on one thing..

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Marilyn!

Must be bread day. I just put mine in the oven too. My own type of multi-grain bread that has just about everything under the sun in it. Harvested a bumper crop of green peppers yesterday and gave a bunch to a neighbour.

The roofers have just finished a 4-day stand here. Last roofers put ice shield under the entire front rood, BUT, they glued it to the plywood. Result - we had to replace the plywood too this time - at least on the south face of the roof. Grrrr! We're also trying to trouble-shoot the problem with the DR ceiling fixture which is not working. DH got a gadget which can detect where the power is. The switch is good and there seems to be power to the socket. So maybe all the thumping of bales of shingles worked something loose there. We did a potluck retirement party for 15 by candlelight in the DR last night.

Gotta go. Have a rehearsal this evening and need to look at a few notes first.

Ann

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Happy Birthday Marilyn!!♪♪♪

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Happy Birthday Marilyn hope you have a great day/night

Thanks to everyone for the BDay wishes ^_^
What an awesome day for a bithday .. sunny and the skies are SO SO blue !!!

THE BOXES :-) well ... one box contained a new set of Kitchen Aid cookware .. something I have wanted for so so long .. it's beautiful to say the very least.
Box #2 held a set of Corelle dishes .. another 'wish list' item .. as my hands are NOT the best .. the lighter the dishes, the better ..

Good luck with the leaves Betty .. Lorna mulched away for 3 hours on the riding machine today .. and will no doubt have to do that again at least 2 more times .. so many leaves .. she LOVES it ..

Tried to leash up Piper for that walk today .. nope, nadda .. he just goes strange when approached with a leash ..

Ready for bed for sure .. 4am comes so quickly ..

Have a banner week everyone

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Marilynne
Many Happy Returns ......sounds like you had a great day!
Spent the day getting the garden ready and still didn't finish.
From now on it will be what ever I can get done and the rest......oh well.
15 bags of leaves raked and 11 taken over to a friend who uses the bags full to build a house around a Rhody and she manages to keep it here in Edmonton. She kind of does it igloo style.
Got a new bed dug and DH Rototilled it up and then emptied pot soil into it and he went over it again.
I should be able to get the plants I have for it in this week and worry about the edges next year.
I want to get my baby Hosta's in the ground too and now I will have room in my shade spot with the sunny bed being the new one.
Bye for now all of you.
Ann

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

I'm cold (sniffle) . . . I DON'T LIKE THE COLD . . .

Oh, well - even in this cruddy wet, cold weather , the Swiss chard is still hoicking along, so at least I've got some fresh greens as compensation.

I'm thinking of growing some Jerusalem Artichokes next year (sigh - been saying that since, um, 1971 I think) - has anyone done them and did the tubers stay good to eat all winter? Those and some mid-height blueberries if I can find them, and if the nutritional content is closer to lowbush than highbush.

Betty, I hope you are well.

Carol, love those pots. I'd love to have some great pots, but those I see when travelling would never make it home unless I bought them a plane seat.

Susan - I'll pray for you. Let us know how things turn out.

Marilynne, loved the colours on the tree. Just brilliant (the tree, not you, girl)

Going to put a sweater on now. Keep well all.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Here I is, tired from fighting last night..lol..must have been some dream/nightmare because this morning my face is all scratched up..hope the other guy is worse off than I...hope so..

Think this is why I had bad dreams...

My adrenaline was working overtime last night..

Not often I get ANGRY but I wasflipping mad all evening..

Kyle dropped in, you know he's my sweetie, well some of the bullies on the school bus have been giving him a difficult time due to the bus having to go down his road, approx 3/4 mile, they think he's a sissy to have the bus pick and drop him off at his door, one kid had he pinned against the bus seat one day and threatened him..anyway, Kyle went to the vice-principal and explained the situation, he's mature that way, likes to handle things on his own.

SOOOO the Vice Principal when the bus was leaving for home got on the bus, asked Kyle to get off so he could speak with the youth, what does this idiot, big time idiot do, tells the youths causing trouble that Kyle has special needs and that they should be kinder, not harrass him..do you think this would work??? nope, when he got off the bus they are calling him 'retard'..'go to dummy school' etc.

Now I've been honest with you all, have mentioned he is at the lowest scale of autism, unless I told you this you would never know, he's very bright, mature, caring etc. etc.- always fighting for the down trodded...

My heart is just broken, wouldn't mind going to the school myself and speak with the vice president..but NOT..

Greg and Mel are dealing with this..

It's cool here as well, my entire grass is covered with leaves..I see you all rake yours in the fall, normally unless I have help I leave mine for the spring....so many yet to fall, love all the trees but lordy it creates a lot of work

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Marilynne - I haven't grown Jerusalem Artichokes since the early 70s myself, but I think they can become a bit invasive if you aren't careful.

Betty - what a dumb thing for that VP to do. Maybe that's why he's a VP? Bumped up from the classroom for lack of skills?

OH my gosh Betty !! I would go to the school board with this .. to heck with keeping it IN the realm of the school.
Even a letter re the incident to the principal copied off to the chair of the school board (as crass as this sounds, don't forget, it is an ELECTION YEAR including school boards) . These BULLIES need to be taken care of quickly and effieciently, not given MORE FODDER to fling about !!
Makes me SO angry !!!

Night 2 of puppy K tonight .. have new pics of Piper and Lilly on the pet forum .. All I can hope for is some kind of positive reaction from Piper .. he is a wee dear, but .. STUBBORN as they come !!! I look at the other breeds represented and cringe .. the only other one crating ANY problems is a Boxer .. the Sheltie, Chihuahua, Doddledeedoo,and Lab listen so well .. perhaps Piper's day is coming ^_^

Lordie, started to clean the garage today (AGAIN) !!! Where in the world does this STUFF come from, and WHY oh WHY does it get kept .. one full truck load bit the dust today ..

At present , it is 21C here !!! STELLAR :)

Toodles

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Gorgeous day here as well, this is the time I most would love to be home, enjoying every last minute of it..

Thank you girls, was awfully angry to say the least. Greg said he and melanie are dealing with this issue, glad it's not left up to me because I'm all wound up!

"M" every once in awhile I watch hoarders just so I can see what can happen, that's enough to send me purging..lol

Ann are Jerusalem Artichokes flowers or veggies?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Veggies. Tubers. Nice and sweet peeled and cut up in a salad. Can by cooked like a potato.

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Just talked to my daughter, the new grand-dog went to the vet yesterday and weighed in at 37.6 lbs - she will be 4 months old on the 9th. She is going to be one big dog. DD weighs about 100 lbs soaking wet and is just shy of 5' so the dog will be lots bigger than her soon.
Jerusalem Artichokes do have nice flowers though too don't they??

Victoria Harbour, ON

Have to be on the lookout for the Jerusalem Artichoke..most likely have seen them but never paid attention..know when I was in Florida last time I had a dip made of artichoke, talk about delicious!!!

37.6 lbs. wow, how on earth will a little tyke like her manage to take the dog for walks? Would say the dog will take her for walks, she'll be going where pup wants to go..lol

"M" how did kindergarden go..did you behave?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Here's the low down on Jerusalem Artichokes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yikes, I have rows/rows of what seems to be this exact flower..all dead right now of course..always amazed that they stand tall and need no support..hmmm will have to go check the leaves in the a.m. and see if what I have could be Jersusalem Artichokes and if so, will have to try some..

thanks for the link Ann, still old school, can never remember to go in search of info on the computer...

night night everyone

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

What could be the thinking of that VP? You'd think he would have figured out that you can't appeal to the common sense or sensitivity of bullies.
If it was my child, I'd have a letter off to the Superintendent so fast that the mail box would spin.

I'm in winter mode early this year - already planning what I want to do next year. I hope I'll have the $$ to get someone to come and level my lawn. First I had the planters dug, and then the city did the water pipes, and all the extra dirt just stayed on my little lawn. so it's higher than it should be and really bumpy. I haven't wanted to get too carried away with anything expensive or permanent until I could get that tackled, so I hope next year is the year.

Well, g'night all - off to dream some more.

Mornin all ^_^

Good (or better) news in the Puppy K dept. Piper redeemed himself for the first half hour, then it was 'woof woof' time LoL .. if pups can have ADD, Piper has it LoL

That link to the Jerusalem Artichoe (sunchoke) was great .. like Betty .. I think I may have some of that out there somewhere, or, something that looks darned close to it ..

Off to see a man about a leg today .. Lorna is all a flutter as this is the day she has the first fitting for her permanent leg .. if the sun is in the right position in the sky, wouldn't it be awesome if it fit her perfectly and it could come home !! She sure is missing not having a prosthesis .. the 'training leg' got way too sloppy for her to wear ..
FINGERS and TOES crossed on this ..

Sunny but windy day .. the leaves are again 'raining down'.

Way we go

TTFN

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty
I really feel for you, Where the heck was the Bus Driver? Why couldn't Kyle sit near the front?
Kids can be so mean!!! I hope he is able to get things worked out and Autism or not he deserves respect and friend ship just like all the other kids. My daughter had the opportunity to do play school with some special children and in their small class they had 4 "special kids" and 4 community children. DD learned so much about differences and generosity she still uses those skills today. I think every child should be able to have a friend who is different and then they find out we are all not so different after all.
Anyway enough rambling.

Last weekend DH rototiled a new sunny spot garden for me. Yahoo now it will be nice enough to move some things and have a sunny garden too.
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Very well said Ann! I applaud your way of thinking, how come things like this aren't contagious?

Kyle was over last night, regualr bus driver was back asked Kyle if she could speak with him, asked who were the kids, he didn't want to say, she came out and listed a few and could see by Kyle's reaction that yes, she'd hit it on the nail..

Guess on their route home, same group acting up, she told them she wasn't the other bus driver and as far as she's concerned their bullying goes beyond bullying and she'd have them charged if they persist..good for her!!

So are you all ready for the weekend? I've company coming for Saturday, rest of the weekend I can do my own thing..my thoughts are to go shopping tonight for the majority of my shopping list and only leave the turkey purchase for tomorrow night!

SHOPAHOLIC MARILYNNE LoL

Replaced the 26yr old microwave that died Wed evening .. real learning curve happening here with the one I purchased.
On my way out of Sears appliance dept. I noticed a BEAUTIFUL stackable washer and dryer set .. it's an Inglis, and the price .. well .. tooo good to pass up .. our Maytag stackables are 18yrs old .. nary a thing the matter with them .. BUT .. the newer models use far LESS water .. and .. as we have a well .. that is a definite BONUS !!! So .. on Oct. 20 I will be awaiting the arrival of a new washer and dryer .. have put my Maytags on Kijiiji. I actually feel BAD !!!!

Betty, so glad to hear Kyle's busdriver is ON it !!! My son once had a bus driver who pulled over and would NOT move until the kids settled .. they would either be late for class, or, late for home .. take their choice .. had a great respect for her ..

Take care all

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.