Zone 7 overwintering in ground?

Bayside, NY(Zone 7a)

Has anyone successfully left their dahlia tubers in the ground (well mulched) in Zone 7, and had them grow well the following year? I'm going to risk a few as an experiment this winter, but was wondering about other people's results. It would be great to have one less digging chore! Thanks

Christi

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Noelle216. Pirl is zone 7 from NY. I'm sure she will be along to talk about her experience.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I left 6 varieties in the ground last year here in zone 8. We had a mild winter. Only 1 variety survived. :( I'll be digging all of them this year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Do you think it's that the winter's are too wet the1pony?

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

It may well be. My soil drains pretty well, but when it rains as much as it does here, it stays constantly wet no matter how well it drains. :-/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My mom is just across the border in White Rock BC and although she had the landscaper lay sand for extra drainage under her beds but she still has alot of things rot in the winter. She hasn't had much luck with wintering over dahlias but she's zone 7b.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

My friend is also in 6B and she has overwintered them, I think it does not always work. I know I can't do it, it may be her fantastic sun.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've never left them in the ground. It means certain death for them here. Good luck!

Omega, GA

What zone can dahlias be left in the ground & survive. I'm in zone 8b.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Zone 8 should do it. I wouldn't leave them in more than an extra year, as the tubers multiply like crazy, and then you get weaker plant power per stem. They need to be divided every 2-3 years. I wonder if anyone has just divided in Fall and replanted the divided tubers right then and there?

Omega, GA

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to try it. We leave pretty much everything in the ground but those bulbs that need xtra cold like tulips. I live under some large oaks that soak up the water when it rains so wetness should not be a problem. Daylilies grow very well here in the south & also need dividing every 2-3 years to bloom well. When I dig up my amarylis in the fall to divide I plant them right back in the ground, does not affect their performance the following spring, I would think dahlias would be the same way. Any input on this from anyone, dahlias are new to me

Manchester, TN

I have left my dahlias in the ground for the last 2-3 years in zone 7 because of chronic laziness on my part. However, they get a good mulch of leaves blown into the bed each fall so that may help them. I saw the post that recommended dividing and I think I'll do that this year. Mine have started coming up, and we had one of the worst winters we've seen here in a while.

Manassas, VA(Zone 7b)

I live in 7b & we left ours in the ground & they did not live. This will not occur again. They are to hard to get in trades & cost a lot around here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.