Getting Rid of Tree Trunks?

Auburntown, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks to a nasty infestation of bagworms, my husband recently cut down one of our evergreen trees. I would like to replace it with a new butterfly bush I recently bought. It needs to be planted pretty soon. How should we go about removing the evergreen stump and the majority of its roots? Should we just try and dig out as much as possible? What about using a stump remover? Any ideas would be quite helpful! Thanks.

Thumbnail by Shaigirl
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you want it out fast, I'd dig out as much as you could. The stump remover chemicals take time to work. They accelerate the natural process of rotting so they're faster than letting nature take it's course, but they're still not fast. Or you could grind the stump out (rent a stump grinder or have someone come out and do it for you). Your stump doesn't look that big though so that might be overkill.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I agree with E3.

I like the way your border comes out.

Auburntown, TN(Zone 7a)

We actually ended up digging it out. Surprisingly, the stump itself wasn't that bad. It was all the roots!!! But we dug, pulled and tilled the area... so I feel pretty confident my new butterfly bush will have plenty of room to grow! Below is a picture of the messy aftermath!

We have another tree stump that needs removing... but nothing will be replacing it until Spring. I think we may go the stump remover route just to see if it makes things any easier.

:-)

Thanks for the help!

Thumbnail by Shaigirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.