Iris Fertilizer question I need to know ASAP

Winnsboro, TX

I posted this under another heading and it must have got deleted. LOL
I have the opportunity to get a couple of truckloads of goat poop/pellets for free. What I'd like to know is if they would be good to use in my iris and daylily beds? If I did use them would I have a bigger problem with weeds? Would it be a bigger hassel to use it and go organic so to speak or should I just use some commercial fertilizer in the spring? I need to know this asap as the fellow that has them is cleaning out his goat pens and and barn. I need to tell him in a couple of days if I want it or not.

Thanks for any input on this smelley subject.
Marian

Thumbnail by lovelyiris

i use goat poop on lots of stuff, prefer it to commercial fertilizers but not sure about your specific plants. i just mulch it into the soil.

Gainesville, TX

sure wish I had a truckload

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Just consider it to be pelletized compost and use it accordingly. I pay about $2 for a 40 lb bag of compost and you are getting a truckload for free.

South Hamilton, MA

If he is cleaning the barn, it probably needs to be aged. Otherwise it might be too hot. However figuring you have a spot to pile it or store it, I'd go for it.

i believe that unlike horse or cow manure, the manure from goat, sheep, llama and pot belllied pigs can be used right away. we go from animal pens to gardens with no cooling off period. does not seem to have hurt anything. please let me if this is wrong.

Kansas City, MO

I bet Google has the answer.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

The general consensus is the goat droppings vary in nitrogen according to the amount of urine mixed with the dry portion. Nitrogen dissipates in the open air in a relatively short period of time so aging in the open air will cause a "mellowing" effect to all forms of animal manure. The info suggests the goat manure would not be excessively "hot" without aging unless there was a large amount of urine present.

Chicken manure is different. It has a high percentage of nitrate in it's fresh form and aging for 3 or 4 months in open air is almost mandatory unless it is composted with a lot of other material. Some folks age it for a year before using it as an amendment.

Winnsboro, TX

Ok, great advice and knowledge from some of you in the know. I guess I'll just go for it and get as much as I can and work it into the beds everywhere. I didn't even think about googling it but I think I'll go ahead and tell him I want the poo. Thank you for getting back with me and telling me what each of you thought regarding using it. I'll try to repost in the spring and tell you how it did. Maybe I'll skip using it on a couple of beds that are close together so I can use it compare which grew the best and so forth.
Happy Gardening, Marian

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm supposed to be able to use my "bunny balls" from my pet rabbits right away too. Unfortunately in their litter box we keep their hay and I'm afraid that all of the fresh seeds from the hay will germinate. My two bunnies certainly gift me with lots of bunny balls!

rabbit poop is one of the best, right up there with llama. too bad you cant use it.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Finally my rabbit can work for his treats:lol: My hutch has the slide out cleaning tray and I just use newspaper for the main liner and scoopable cat litter in the corners where he tinkles. Thankfully I have a small garden so he won't have to work so hard:lol:

i know what you mean. i have pot bellied pigs and i look at them and wish they would poop more! one thing i have noticed about the pots poop, when i put it all around a new planting the gophers stay away. coincidence probably but going to watch more.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Let me know about the Pot poop as I can get lots of Pig Poop here and we have millions of Gophers in this country.

boy, me too. seems to work when i plant but dont know how long it will last. does make great fertilizer, things grow better with it, to me. i dont know how long to wait but it has been at least 3 months since i first started using it and no gophers around those plants. think i will just keep adding it into the soil and makes notes every week. wouldn't it be cool to have a free, natural gopher repellant !

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Yes it sure would. My cat is a killing machine when it comes to Gophers but I hate the thought of him touching the dirty things. It would be wonderful if there were none around to entice him.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Wow, if you two are right, you could collect it, package it and sell it as gopher repellent.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

HMMMMM!! Do I really want to package and store a bunch of Poop. NOT LOL

Winnsboro, TX

Hey if the poop was free, and you could sell it as all natural. I'd do it in a heart beat. Besides you would have a ready supply on hand for all your plants Steph. LOL Funny thought....you could scoop it just like ice cream, but the good thing about the poo is that it wouldn't melt when you packaged it. LOL Just a visual I couldn't resist Steph. lol

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

OOOHHHHH. The vision was really nasty. Since we have and Ice Cream Shop. LOL. I may not get this one out of my head for awhile. Way to go Marian. HAHA

well, have to shatter an illusion here. pot poop looks just like bunny poop only bigger. no oogie wet piles. (one of the reasons i dont mind it) it also does not have the same odor as farm pig poop, if they are fed pot food, might be different if they are fed table scraps and other stuff. probably more than you would want to know about it.

Winnsboro, TX

I know ya'll have an Ice Cream Shop Steph. That's why I had what was a funny visual to me of scooping the poop and bagging it for sale. I guess I could pay postage for you to ship me some flat rate boxes full of pot bellied pig pooo and I could bag it and sale it. LOL Wonder if the post office would consider it Bio hazardous material. (grin)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I think you guys are smoking pot poop.

yes but we dont inhale

Winnsboro, TX

Hey Sharon you know how expensive the Worm Castings (poo) is and they sell it so I was just trying to figure out a job for myself and how to make a living until I can find someone else to set with. After all it would be organic and recycled at the same time. LOL we could call it Pot Pig Pellets, Triple P. oh shoot I'm sure someone could come up with us a more clever name than thoses. Super Scoop of Pig Poop. who knows?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

What about commercial plant foods of some kind for the fall?? What do you use??

Kansas City, MO

Hey Marian, I think keep it simple for our minds, Super Poop.

Winnsboro, TX

Their you go Irisawe "KISS Super Poop" for all your planting needs. Now I just hope it works as well as everyone is claiming it will. LOL

so far no gophers around the plants with pig poo, but they gophers sucked down the onions i planted next to them without it.. so frustrating !

Winnsboro, TX

Well if it will keep the gophers away I'll cover the entire 35+ acres with pig poo. LOL
I know all about them sucking plants clean outta sight. Plant them one day and the next day all you have are holes in the ground.....

Gainesville, TX

wondering if regular sized pig poo would do the same

cant hurt to try. i think it should work as it smells more like human poo (sorry gross) and that should deter them. not sure how good it is for the plants though. will have to check.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I have a hard time allowing myself to use human refuse. I am so careful with the Milogranite to not get it near any food plants etc. There was a time when people used it but these days it can have almost any morbid thing from all the medications and desease we humans have . I think animal waste is ok as milogranit on plants you do not intend to eat but need to be aware if water runoff etc, can be a problem. Am I overdoing the caution thing or can it be over done??

no i dont think it can be over done. i would never use human waste, way to disgusting. was just saying that pig poo is a lot like it, but without all the human type complications, like meds and fast food leftovers.
there is a company nearby that offers free delivery of that black sludgy stuff that i think is left over from water treatment plants, however much you might like. cant do it. cant even think about it, even though this soil here really sucks. wish i could.

Lebanon, OR

with all the drugs flushed down toilets, with the illness and meds many people have or taking (such as me right now) I would NOT want any human waste no matter how cheap it was.

D

South Hamilton, MA

A couple weeks ago police depts all over the state collected unwanted drugs to avoid them get inot the water table.

Lebanon, OR

I wish they would do that here.

D

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

That appears to be a local issue. We had a prescription medication pickup here by the police dept. They take medications which are expired or unused and dispose of them properly. One of the concerns was the various painkillers being sold as a street drug. The primary concern was it has been found that a lot of streams and rivers have been contaminated with prescription drugs being flushed into the sewer systems and eventually ending up in the downstream water supplies.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

They do the prescription drug collection here in Phoenix as well. I think it's an excellent idea. Scary to think of all the stuff that goes down the drains/toilets into our sewer systems...

Kansas City, MO

There are alot of things I am willing to do for my irises to thrive. I think I am finding my limits though, after reading this. LOL!!

We are training a new puppy and the topic of elimination of wet or solid is a constant topic at this time. To find the same topic, so to speak, on here just makes me think it is all coming down to this. Toooo funny!!!

Help!!

K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.