My newly planted clem, died? in just 3 days!

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I ordered 2 Rebecca from Bluestone. I planted them both right after I got them, and 1 is still green, appears ok. The other turned totally brown and looks flat dead. Will it come back? What should I do? I don't know what caused it to die so fast. Has anyone had that happen before?

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Leave it where it is. It might come back next spring. It might have went into dormancy with the shock of being planted. Just keep giving it plenty of water. I planted some that look almost dead 3 weeks ago and they are growing now and putting out blooms. Don't loose hope yet

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

My Rebecca from Bluestone did the same thing. Was doing fine then just conked out. I'm going to cut off the brown part and see if new growth will sprout. I think we've got at least another 8or 9 weeks before it comes close to freezing. My Nellie did that too but all of a sudden came back about three weeks ago. It;s going like gangbusters. I think we should rename Clematis the Lazarus plant. :-) Crazy.

well we only have a month til freeze or so, actually the weather is crazy, never know. It was only like 50 last night.
So I'd say by the middle of Oct we will be getting frosts at least.

Athens, PA

This is not abnormal for clematis - it seems that especially the type 2's do this. I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago with my Clematis Sunset. I continued to water it because of the things I had heard and the following year, it came back and even flowered for me.

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine did the same thing for me from Bluestone. It never came back though. Now, I have bought other plants from Bluestone and some survived, but many don't. Now I go to other places to purchase my plants as I can get them larger to start with. Like Romence Gardens, and for clems I go to Joy Creek, Brushwood, Garden Crossings, or even Silver Star Vinery I hear is good. Why get a plant in a small 3 inch container when you can get a gallon sized?

Just my opinion

kentstar

This message was edited Sep 27, 2010 5:00 PM

LOL my opinion too now.

:(

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have to agree too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.