Ancient History

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

When I was a kid my father raised Quarter Horses. We had a mare, a blue roan, her name was Venice Blue and she was mainly shown in halter classes..I think she had her A.Q.H.A. championship...not sure...Well I was in the barn one day and I heard someone ask my father, what he would take for that mare? He answered, "There isn't enough money in the world, I love that horse" A month or so later we had an auction, and when they led Venice into the ring, I started crying because I thought my father would be sad. All the women in the stands around me, started crying too. (I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time, and very cute) someone put me in the lap of a man whose name was Rex Cauble and he asked me if "I would stop my crying, if he bought that little ole mare for me" I sobbed, "Yes" (I was not dumb) So he bid for her...and the way he said the bid, no one touched it. He said: "I bid $5,000 for that mare, for little Miss Wheeler here" Turns out my father had expected her to sell for a lot more than $5,000 he was mad!!His response to being asked what he would take for her, was just horse trader talk...I was too young to understand that.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!