Aluminum cans become Iris ID Markers

Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

I had intended to clean out an iris bed this afternoon but the rain has kept me inside so I thought I'd take time to share this NO COST DYI iris marker idea with you. For nearly a decade I have been keeping track of what iris are planted where with these DYI markers. They would be good to use when nothing else is handy.

#1 You need a pair of cheap sissors like mine which came from the Dollar Store.

#2 An empty pop can (aka soda cans, coke cans, beer can)

#3 Cut the can in half across the middle being careful to keep hands away from sharp edges.

#4 The bottom half is what is good to use. (Put the top half into the recycle bin.)

#5 Holding the bottom half in your other hand, make 2 cuts straight down from into the can's edge to the bottom on opposites sides.

#6 Now carefully fold the corners down into triangles so there are no sharp edges but two points which will be pressed into the ground.

#7 Write on the bottom (now the top of your marker) with a Sharpie, grease pencil, or paint marker. Put name and whatever else will fit.

#8 Now also write as much info on the bottom of the inside. I can get iris name, TB, and hybridizer written.

#9 Plant this can next to your new iris baby. Press into the dirt. The Sharpie marker will wear off if exposed to the sun but if the marker gets buried it will last. The underneath ID in the ground will last forever.

Thumbnail by Pegwesttx
Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

Another photo.

Thumbnail by Pegwesttx
Midland, TX(Zone 8a)

These are recenly planted and ID with the DYI pop can markers. I have lost very few iris IDs in the past few years. In combination with a map of my iris beds these homemade markers have stood the test of time. When buried into the soil they aren't accidently pulled up by gardeners.

Maybe this idea will be helpful to others.
Peg

Thumbnail by Pegwesttx
springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Maybe you could use a nail instead of the marker, sort of emboss them, that would not fade like the marker, although would be more difficult to read...

Winnsboro, TX

Great Ideal and like you said and they are free. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.
Marian

Lebanon, OR

for us in OR we must pay .05 cents for each can in a deposit and we get the same back...so we do recycle them at the store.

D

If you want to have them sitting around forever, I don't hardly use cans much. The other thing is at 5 cents each, it would cost more in gas to drop them off...

Lebanon, OR

For me it is where I buy the pop, so no big deal...is a good idea

D

that is handy. We don't have many places here to recycle

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

If you engrave them with an inexpensive engraver, rather than embossing with a nail or knitting needle, soil particles will get stuck in the engraving, making it easier to read.

(Everyone should have an engraver to mark valuable electronics, etc., to help with lost or stolen item recovery. Ask for one as a Christmas present.)

Rick

Stockton, IL(Zone 4b)

Use the Elmers brand Painters black PAINT markers found at Walmart and they won't fade! I use them on my metal tags and some are 6 years old and still dark as the day I wrote on them. The fine marker is good for writing names.
I did try another brand from the hardware store, and it did not hold up as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.