Best performers from seed trades 2010 Annuals

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

The best performers I had in my gardens from seeds I have never tried were leonitus leonuris-lions ear, crepris rubra-pink hawksbeard, and nicotiana lime, oh thank you so much for those who traded those seeds with me..What were yours favorites that you have never tried before? Annette

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 6:35 PM

This message was edited Sep 24, 2010 6:38 PM

joepye weed, cardoon, salvia and a plant with lovely pink flowers that i have no clue as to the name. they were given to me by a very generous DG member. added color and lots of bees to my garden. i know cardoon is invasive, but i have acres of dirt and the hummers love it.

St. Annaparochie, Netherlands

Hi Annette, I can remeber I send you the Crepis and the Nicotiana Limegreen in the ''trade 30 kinds of seeds' swap last year. Crepis is also one of my favourites. People who visited my garden were very suprised: A pink Dandelion??
My favourites this year were:
Cuphea fire fly
Reseda odorata
and Lathyrus belinensis

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

I received a baggie marked salvia coccinea & Coral Nymph. I
didn't think much of it when it bloomed, just thought it was kinda
cute. I planted it near my den window and the hummingbird was
at it every morning. Now I'm saving seeds to plant even more
next year.

Thumbnail by zinniared
columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

I also received those seeds in a trade, took them a while to take off, the hummers do love them, hope I can collect seeds from them, thanks flinter, yes I did get the crepis and lime nicotiana from you.

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 7b)

If you don't get seeds, I can give you some from my plants.

Marine City, MI(Zone 5a)

This year I tried yellow triple datura. What a pretty flower.
I also tried tithonia and LOVE it. Hubby wants the whole side of the house planted with them next year. Im gonna mix them up with red leaved cannas. Should be spectacular!
Eyeball plant from seed, that was cool. It really puts on alot of flowers. The grandkids loved them!
Next year Im looking forward to planting variegated sea holly! I love variegated plants!

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

I got some Tithonia 'Torch' seeds from a trade, and I am in loooove! hehe. They're still blooming up a storm, even though our weather has been soggy. I'm going to plant them in at least one more place next year. :)

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

One I didn't mention right in my face, was my first year with moonflower vine, the picture is my back door with one plant on each side of the railing. Helped it with a lot of cup hooks. Annette

Thumbnail by kobwebz
Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Pony,

If you want to try a second strain of Tithonia 'Torch' , I have some Botanical Interests Item #1118
http://www.botanicalinterests.com/store/search_results_detail.php?seedtype=F&seedid=108

Mexican Sunflower "Torch"
Tithonia rotundifolia
brilliant orange

3' to 5' tall - stake if necessary
don't overhead water
full sun, tall heat lover tolerates infertile soil, drought, and neglect
3" blooms late summer to first fall frost
Heirloom

I assume it is improper copyright usage to send a JPG of a commercial seed packet

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Corey, but I am so happy with these, I'm going to stick with them. I also have Tithonia 'Aztec Sun' and the regular Tithonia Rotundifolia to try to find room for... ;)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Cool!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.