Is this an edible Cape Gooseberry?

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

I was given some "Cape Gooseberry" seeds by a friend. I expected pretty, brown "paper lanterns" with an orange, edible fruit inside. Instead I have light beige "lanterns" with a creamy-yellow fruit bursting out! Help - are they triffids? Here are pictures of the various plant parts and the fruit...

Thumbnail by fleuriste
Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

Another view of the fruit

Thumbnail by fleuriste
Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

This shows the leaves, the plant is a straggling thing spreading over around a three-foot square

Thumbnail by fleuriste
Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

A face-on pic of a flower - I think this one is pollinated as the centre is starting to lighten

Thumbnail by fleuriste
Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

This flower opened today. The Buff-Tailed Bumble-Bees love them!

Thumbnail by fleuriste
Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

Any identification help would be appreciated - otherwise I'll just have to eat one and see how I feel *grin*

szarvas, Hungary

Il y a plusieurs Physalis.
Physalis peruviana est poillue , la tienne est très lisse.
Donc je crois que ce serait Physalis angulata.

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

Merci Dany!
Je pense que vous avez raison, les fruits seront comestibles si elle est angulata.
Nous allons les essayer pour le désert après notre déjeuner demain pour essayer le goût. Je posterai la suite le lundi - si je ne suis pas malade d'ici là * sourire *!

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

Hi Everyone!

I had a Google Search with the information that Dany gave me, once I knew for sure it was a Physalis. I had looked for Cape Gooseberry and never come up with an image of the fruit that looked right. With Dany's info I was able to have another go! Thank-you Dany!

The Physalis I have isn't angulata after all - it is Physalis ixocarpa (Tomatillo)!

See the fruit at this link - it is EXACTLY like mine!
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/tomatillo.htm

The company looks interesting as a source too, has anyone used them and have you any feedback?

Marciac, France(Zone 7a)

This post is now closed - thanks Dany!

Navan, Ireland

Although I know it is closed, I enjoyed this thread. Thank you for posting - very informative.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.