CLOSED: How to peel labels off bubble mailers and boxes?

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

How do you peel labels off bubble-wrap mailers and boxes that you re-use? Or do you bother? When I try, I rip paper off the mailer or corrugated box.

There is a DG FAQ that says to remove old labels before re-using mailers, but can you get away with just labelling over them? (I figure I will try to get off old cancelled postage somehow or other, I can see where that would bother to Post Office)..

I have plenty of small boxes at work, but they are covered with 4"x6" shipping labels. I was thinking of spray-painting over them as easier..

A USPS clerk told me that even bubble-wrap mailers go "package rate" since they don't like to bend one "with much in it". If so, I might as well use a small solid box. The price difference seems only to be around 30-35 cents anyway for the same weight.

Corey

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

If the labels won't come off without tearing the box/mailer I just label over them and make sure it's taped real good so it won't peel up and show the old label. If I have a big black marker handy, I scribble out the old label first.

I haven't spray painted boxes myself, but I have received stuff in boxes that were painted over, so I reckon it must be acceptable.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8a)

I just label over mine as well..

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Me, too.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

me too, I just make MY label bigger to cover the old one.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone. That's re-assuring. These 4x6" labels are so big I would have to buy contact paper, so I'll probably get spray paint instead.

Corey

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I've seen two sites suggest "use a hot iron".

Doesn't that melt gunk onto the iron?

I guess I'll check Goodwill for old irons and hair dryers to test this
Maybe the oven, as long as I stay under 451 fahrenheit!

(The bubbles probably melt much lower.)

Corey

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

I think I'm totally missing the point here....someone please explain.

Why can you not simply fold a piece of typing paper in half then in half again, write on it with a bold pen or marker and tape that directly over the previous label with clear packing tape and tape the bubble envelop closed? Is there some local USPS regulation that refuses to accept the envelop that way? I've had no problems doing that...

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> tape that directly over the previous label with clear packing tape

I'll try that next time I I take a package right to the postal clerk, so I'll know if they are fussy at my post office. They already told me that they charge the "package" rate for bubble mailers if there's anything bulky in the mailer.

I read in some DG FAQ "remove oold labels first". I guess if they are complelty hidden and the new label isn't loose, why should they care?

But if I re-use a box from work, covered with 4x6 shipping lables with many barcodes, I feel that I ought to clean it up.

Once I test the heat-gun or hot-iron theory, I'll post my results.

But several people have said they got away with a mailer with more than one layer of label, so it must be possible. My usual assumption about any bureacracy is that they will have many silly rules which may be enforced arbitrarily. Did you see Men In Black II, the post office scene?

Corey

columbia, TN(Zone 7a)

I would not recommend the heat gun (you will have a fire) or the iron,( oh scorch), just get a stick on lable and use wide tape to cover the old addys. Annette

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Good idea about tape (cheap) instead of many 4x6 labels ($$). And it will appear that the tape is just holding the pkg closed, and I'm paranoid.

I priced used irons at Goodwill, but will wait for a 50% sale, if ever. If a spray can of flat white has good coverage and is cheap, that's less bulky.

I may test the "iron" theory by holding a box over a toaster ...

If it all bursts into flame, or covers my hand with melted plastic, I'll need a story to tell the Emergency Room people ... hmmm ... "I read about how to do this online!"

:-)

Corey

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

If you use an iron, you would place a piece of newsprint or an old, lightweight rag on it. The gooey label will stick to the newsprint/tea towel, not the iron.

I think you reading too much into FAQ. I'm sure the intention is just to cover any sign of old zip code or bar code. The scanner reads from the bottom up and will ship to the lowest bar code/zip code. The post office doesn't care how the envy looks, just that it's legible. I generally use priter labels over the old "to" address and my own return address label over the old "from" label and I've never had an issue. I, too, add a layer of tape if it's at all iffy. After all, the object of this exercise is that the package gets where I want it to go, or as the worst case scenario, at least comes back to me!

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I will probably go with that and just make sure the USPS clerk accepts it.

at least until the desire to play "Science Project" takes over. I was thinking of
(1) a used iron never to be used on clothes again
(2) wax the iron heavily
(3) waxed paper between the iron and the label
(4) ?? how to get left-over glue off the paper of the mailer??

I think it is unanimous on the side of "why bother" and "I don't do that".

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.