Please ID this ugly bug!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

I found 5 of these on the outside of my kitchen trashcan today, and later brushed one off my neck- I have been working in the veggie garden, and I think they came in possibly on carrot tops, etc. The other day I saw one on a tomato or cucumber leaf- don't remember. I checked all my fresh veggies in the pantry near the trashcan- none there. I don't think it is a threat, but would like to know what it is. Thanks-

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

PS- he is actually about half an inch long.
Here's a photo of my dinner tonight- The tomato weighed in at 1lb7oz-I think it is Giant Belgium, but not sure, as about 4 of my tomatoes grew in together!

Thumbnail by JoParrott
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That my friend, I'm pretty sure, is the baby "Ladybug". (Larvae) So he/she is a GREAT bug to have around!!!

Good thing it is on your fresh vegies, because that is what it eats, the BAD bugs!

See if this is the guy: http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2009/07/13/lady-beetle-larva/

I'm removing a link because they dont know what they are talking about, but had an image of the ladybug, ladybird, whatever you want to call it!!

This message was edited Sep 20, 2010 10:09 PM

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

You all are the BEST- what a fast reply- I would never in a million years have guessed that- I feel so bad about putting him down the disposal :-( !!!

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Now I don't know what to do- there are Lady Bug larvae on my eggplants & peppers, but also lots of aphids- Do I spray to kill aphids and sacrifice the good guys? I don't think they can ever wipe out the aphids- I need help !

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I'm guessing the best thing to do is spray them all off with WATER only.
You can use a sprayer and do a direct hit on the aphids.

Or you can use a hose and...
not sure if the Larvae will survive but the aphids should drown.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.