Putting the garden to bed

New Boston, NH

Every year as I continue to compulsively add plants it is more work to cut down the jungle and move those that need it ,get the new bulbs in etc.It is as busy a time as spring and as I hate to see the season end it looks tidy and clean and expectations for next year begin.Many plants came to maturity this year and gave alot of pleasure and serinity as I polk around.The house dogs enjoy the yard and can't figure out why it is changing.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I love fall in the garden!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'm loving fall more this year since it was such a lousy summer.
I can't wait to plant all my bulbs when they come in.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have mixed feelings about fall - love the color and smell of the woods - still it can be depressing too

some of my bulbs are in route from bleek right now - the rest arrive in mid october - need to wait to plant all of them - so i know what the heck i have - and now i have all the daff's from the ru too

Duh - I never ordered bulbs! Might wait for a sale.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

still have time on cubits - check mamajacks coop from sunshine - lots of choices.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Still early, plenty of sales coming up!

New Boston, NH

We have had several catalogs with sales 50% 0ff on one.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Actually right now things seem to be getting a second wind as far as fresh green growth is concerned. The cooler temps and actual rain here and there seems to have revived things a bit. I have not got any bulbs yet either Victor. Thinking I will go to local nursery and pick out individual bulbs as I really don't need a whole lot of them. I usually cut down most things in the spring unless they seed about too much or the foliage is so nasty I can't stand to look at it. Noticed that the south facing beds and back yard are in shadow much longer into the day now. Sun will be down below the tree tops soon and the dark is showing up earlier every day. Dark when I get up now too, I hate that. I like the cool freshness and colors of fall but it will be a bit sad to see the garden going to sleep once again.

Thomaston, CT

Love the pumpkins, gourds, Indian corn, apples, & the smoky smell of fall....brings back memories of childhood, walking down the dusky street with the glow of bonfires in the gutters, & a sweet smoky scent....I miss that. Just toured the perennial beds, & they are pretty sad looking....will start to clean them up soon.....

I just want bulbs for one area - under my beech. Only minor bulbs. No daffs or tulips. Probably no crocus either. And something the deer won't eat.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

lots a smaller allium to choose from - i would check out that MJ coop i mentioned

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.