Question about seed harvesting

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My basils are setting seeds and I have never grown them before. Do I have to let the seed stalks dry on the plant or can I cut the entire stalk and let it dry in the house. I don't want to lose them. I have so much enjoyed cooking with the fresh basils, rosemary and sage. I plan to extend my collection next year.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

From brighthub.com:

Basil: Let your basil plants send up flower stalks near the end of the growing season. Pinch off the flower stalks when they begin to dry and become brown on the edges. Allow the flower stalks to dry at room temperature for a few days. Then, gather the basil seeds by tapping the stalk gently on a paper plate. Tiny black seeds should shake out of the stalk.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/environment/green-living/articles/24355.aspx#ixzz105dWgZ6w

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Yep - Kay's right on the money. You will get a lot of seeds from the Basil plants too;o) And if you miss some you'll have volunteers next year.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much for your quick reply. The seed pods at the bottom are dry and the ones at the top are not. Can I go ahead and collect them?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

If they look like they are starting to dry go ahead and collect them. The longer you can wait the more mature the seeds will be.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much. I will check them in the morning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.