Bad Caterpillar!!

Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

Looked out my door and saw my double purple datura..almost leafless.
When I went out and got the pot I found the culprit...cute little fella.
My grandson wanted to keep it for a pet but his dad convinced him it needed to go about its business.

Thumbnail by gammy3
Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

Here is the entire picture.

Thumbnail by gammy3
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This is a TOMATO HORNWORM caterpillar.
Tomatoes, eggplants and daturas are hosting plants for this caterpillar, which soon will be a huge beautiful moth.
It can get really large ... you will need to choose: either you want a datura or a beautiful moth.

Learn something every day on DG, i did not know they ate daturas.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Datura is in the some family of eggplant.
Here is my Tomato Hornworm called: Tommaso !!!
Helloooooooo

Thumbnail by drthor
Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I have reduced the problem with Hornworms this year a lot by sprinkling a little of DE on the hole where I plant my tomatoes and eggplants. The Hornworms must not like the taste of the DE.

Thumbnail by drthor

this is going to sound weird, but it sort of bothered me. i did not have even one hornworm on my tomatoes last summer. never happened before. i dont use any kind of pesticides and have never had this happen. seems like there is always a hornworm or two with tomato plants.

Arlington, TX

LOL well perhaps they just decided to become carnivores! I hate the hornworms but love the nightly moth visits. I have a few every year and have no idea why you weren't gifted with some this year.
C

Twisp, WA

I did not see a single tomato worm last year either. Of course, my vegetable garden was so neglected, I could barely see anything out there! Seriously, I think it's the first time in 20 years of living here that we have had zero. I can't say that I miss the ugly buggers. I pick them off with a pair of tongs and feed them to the chickens - can't stand to touch them. I've never had them on a datura.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.