Moving lilies when they still have a green stem

Nashville, TN(Zone 6a)

I need to move some lilies. Some of them have large healthy looking green stems. Normally by this time, the stems have died and come off. Do I cut off the stems? If so where? Any info about moving lilies is appreciated.
Badger

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I would cut them back by half. Allow the remaining stem to die naturally, even if it is soon after planting. There will be nutrients that will migrate from the dieing stem to the bulb for winter storage.

This way it will also be easy to plant at the same depth as was previous, by looking t the stem. If you use mulch, take that into consideration. Take a good look at how the stem looks in the soil/mulch/air transition zone before you dig, so you'll have a better gage of how to replant.

Rick

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for thr thread Badger
Thanks for the tip Rick.
I am guilty of moving lilies while they are blooming,because I am so obcessive about color. I am in a "recovery group" for "garden obcessions that get us no-where"
I havnt lost any lilies this way, but after reading many posts on the subject,I realize I am living in a fools paradise.
The bulb depth note is very usefull. Thanks

Nashville, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info. I'm clearing out a bed with round up. Once it looks like the bermuda grass is mostly gone, I want to fill the bed with crocus, daffodils and lillies. I plan on throwing cosmo seeds in the bed for late summer color. Cosmos should be good over bulbs because they will let in light while the bulb tops are still green and they don't need alot of water.

I don't like to spray but this bed was overrun by the grass and it was either spray or replace all the soil.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Bermuda grass is a terrible thing. Even in Minnesota it can be a pest.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.