Protecting Hydrangeas in Zone 5

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I am in 5b specifically. I have 4 hydrangeas. What I need opinions about is whether or not I need to protect my plants this winter. They are all mulched. By protect I mean wrap to protect buds. Two of mine are ever-bloomers which don't need to be protected -- if I understand correctly. The other two are lacecaps. Just wondering if it is needed because I have physical limitations and I have to partition my energy well. Thanks!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you know the names of the lacecaps? There are a couple lacecaps now that are rebloomers although most of them aren't. Assuming yours aren't rebloomers, then you will want to protect them to guarantee flowers--otherwise it's likely you'll lose the buds over the winter. You might also consider having someone remove them and plant rebloomers instead, that way you can enjoy flowers without having to go to extra effort every year.

Galesburg, MI(Zone 6a)

I am pretty sure they are not rebloomers. I assume that because during spring clean up I cut the stems down to about an inch - before I knew what the plant was. I moved in to the house in late fall 2009 so I never got to see anything before the frost. So I went with my mom's tried and true adage that you can cut anything down and it will come back stronger. It did come back this year and formed a gorgeous lush shrub -- but with no flowers save one tiny one that showed up at the very bottom and let me verify it was a lacecap. Unfortunately I let my Mom take care of the backyard clean up last fall when I moved in and it took a lot of help from the nice people here to ID my lilac and azalea by foliage only because they had no blooms this spring :-)
Maybe I will just replace them. Or have my husband do the protecting. I try not to make him do too much since the garden is my hobby and my "area." Thanks for the reply!

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

If you can consider non-rebloomers, the possibilities can grow! Mail order companies may be low on inventory this late in the season but check (or pre-order).

Try this one rebloomer: Endless Summer Twist 'N Shout Hydrangea

"Like all plants in the Endless Summer Collection, Twist-n-Shout produces abundant blooms on both old and new wood all summer long. Lacy deep-pink centers are surrounded by gorgeous blossoms of pink or periwinkle blue, depending on soil type. Sturdy red stems and glossy deep green leaves turn red-burgundy in fall to offer year-round interest in the garden. Easy to care for and hardy to zone 4, Twist-n-Shout is an elegant stand-alone specimen, dramatic in combination with other plants, and compact enough for containers."

or try this one (hardy to Zone 5 but not a rebloomer): Lanarth White

"Hydrangea macrophylla 'Lanarth White' is a longtime favorite lacecap variety. Its large flower clusters are faintly blushed with blue or pink. The variety grows 4 feet tall and wide. Zones 5-9"

or try this one (rebloomer and hardy): Let's Dance Starlight

"LDS is a reblooming lacecap variety with blue or pink flowers, dark green foliage, and a compact habit. It grows 3 feet tall and wide. Zones 5-9"

or try this one (hardy and rebloomer): Forever & Ever Summer Lace

"A magnificent plant with elegant lacecap bloomheads atop medium green leaves. Blooms on old and new wood, providing reliable bloom in harsh northern areas; repeat bloom for long season of enjoyment."

or try this one (hardy but it is a non-reblooming climber): Hydrangea Anomola subsp. Petiolaris

"This is the best of the Anomala species. The beautiful climber takes a few years to really get going but then grows and climbs its way around and up. It can be enjoyed as a ground cover with its white lacecap type flowers, or let it climb up old stumps or wood walls and it will put on a spectacular display. This plant is also fantastic when allowed to grow up a tree, and does little if any harm provided that it is not allowed to cover the tree's top growth and foliage. Very hardy but needs sun to be at its best." The last comment applies only to the northern half of the country as the leaves will sunscorch in some places in the south.

or try this one: (hardy but not a rebloomer): Hydrangea Arborescens Radiata

"This beautiful white lacecap's flowers radiate in any sunny or bright garden. The blooms continuously shower the hydrangea all summer long. Cut after the first bloom of the season and get more in just weeks. In sun or light shade, this large and vigorous hydrangea will be the centerpiece of a great garden. The best feature about this plant is that the underside of the smooth leaf is silvery white."

or try this last one (hardy but not a rebloomer): Hydrangea Japonica Coerulea

"The tiny center flowers of this lacecap are deep blue with large petals of light blue that have aged from white. The flowers around the outside edge create an enchanting bloom. The lacecaps nestle amongst tapered leaves which become very colorful in the fall adding to the appeal of this plant. Credit is given to Joseph Dalton Hooker for the discovery of this very ancient Japanese variety in the 1800s. Coerulea is of the same hybrid parentage as H. Serrata, and is noted as being hardier. This is a gorgeous plant with continuous blooming from May till the first hard frost."

or try this one (hardy but somewhat rare non-rebloomer): Hydrangea serrata Hallasan

"Native to the Hallasan National Park in South Korea, it is described by Corinne Mallet as a "dwarf bush, not growing taller than 3', but extending horizontally in a curious way as it produces runners or stoloniferous branches. . ." The foliage is dark green but very rich in anthocyans which adds crimson marks to the foliage. It is indeed very dwarf. Recently listed as cold hardy to Zone 4. If cautious, assume Zones 5 - 8."

or try this one (hardy but not a rebloomer): Hydrangea serrata Grayswood

"A lacecap with flowers which open white and age to deep burgundy as they reflex, Grayswood mimics Preziosa in a lacecap form. One of the oldest & still a fine form. Grows to 5’ x 5’. Part shade. Mid to late season bloom. Zones 5-8."

Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions! Hee hee hee! Have a good day, kellydz!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, Luis, why did you have to go and do that? I think I'm drooling on my keyboard. Hydrangea Japonica Coerulea is now at the top of my wish list.

Also, love how you say, "this last one" and then go on to list two more. LOL Sounds like something I would do.

Angie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.