Brought in the Tomatoes

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This year was so cold and wet, we didn't have the tomatoes vine ripen very quickly. It is suppose to snow on Thursday and dip down to -3ºC so I picked most of the tomatoes to ripen in the house.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's some more

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh Joanne LOL
That is a lot of Tomatoes! I am grateful for my Greenhouse as I will be able to keep my Toms going for a bit longer and hopefully make it over the chill that is coming.
My neighbor said S___ this weekend, SAY IT ISN'T SO!
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I still have 6 plants in the greenhouse, with a bunch of peppers. All those tomatoes came from the plant in the veggie garden. I would have been a great had we had warmer and sunnier weather this summer. I think it got above 23ºC perhaps 10 days the entire summer.

Here's where all the tators came from

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And here

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow Joanne - thats a lot of spaghetti sauce!

Glad you posted that - reminds me I have 2 cherry tomatoes out on the patio - better pick or bring in the house. Took my last 2 zuchini off this morning - not very productive this year so dont have to do a lot of baking. Pulled all the beans yesterday and will pick the last few peas today, carrots and beets and potatoes will be OK.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think it will be funny to watch Harley try to eat all those in tomato sandwiches. LOL

I have a heater in the GH so I have left 6 plants to continue on...or are they now considered trees?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Wow! I sure hope that you have success in ripening them.

I severely pruned all my tomato plants a few weeks ago knowing that there wouldn't be time for any fruit not already forming to ripen. I also take off all the side foliage so that the sun gets to the tomatoes. In spite of a really warm summer, I didn't get an over abundance of tomatoes.

My garden is getting shadier. and I didn't plant egg shells in the holes this year. There are so many other variables I don't know whether that really makes a difference, but some people swear by them. Anyway, my plants are winding down, but so far there's no urgency to bring in the fruit.

In regard to zucchini, I'm gonna quit trying to grow it. Haven't had good success for several years - got just one zucchini this year. Maybe it's time to grow more potatoes or turn my veggie garden over to hostas.

Dundas,, ON(Zone 5b)

Well, now I don't feel so badly about the few tomatoes I got. I hope they ripen well inside,

VA: The eggshells provide calcium which is good for the tomatoes, but also keep the cutworms (?) away from the roots as the eggshells cut their skin. At least that's what my grandma told me and I've always used eggshells so don't have any non-eggshell years to compare.

Calgary, Canada

Way to grow it ! Joanne!
My tomato crop is pitiful this year. Potted them late and then went away and
the downsizing of my house didn't help.
Ah---but in gardening---there is always ---next year!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Did you make it through all these tomatoes....BURP!?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.