Love Bugs

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Okay....how many of you have love bugs flying around all over the place? How long do they last and where do they come from?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

lol - Supposedly they were created at the University of Florida...

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

I hate to tell you this but my mother and I took a trip from Atlanta to Destin in January and on the way back had to stop at least twice and scrape them off the windshield. Maybe they live forever? Horrible thought, isn't it?

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

It sure is but at least they don't bite like the sand knats that we have.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

FlipFlops - Here in South Georgia, they appear 2x per year - September & May. This time, there are not too many, at least not yet! It is a bit later than most years, so I am hoping this will be a short "run" (or should I say "FLY"?) It has been extremely dry here - we have had zero rain for about 1 month - all the grass is dying. I am also hoping that keeps the newly-laid eggs from developing or hatching (or whatever!~), so next May's "crop" will be small, too. --
Samantha

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Samantha - We have had ample rain here except for the last week. It is hit and miss and they had a good down pour over in Brunswick and Jekyll Island when I drove out there this morning. We have had quite a few here and I have found them in the house too. They just "drift" in when I open the door, I guess. Most of them that got inside have died. Seems like today they weren't as bad...maybe because we haven't had as much rain. Hope you get some rain soon!!
Deanie

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Deanie - We finally got a storm Saturday evening, then some rain yesterday & a big storm early this morning - my grass was singing "Hallelujah", & I went out & planted lettuce in the rain!! The lovebugs here crawl in right through the tiniest crack under the door! Samantha

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Samantha - So glad you finally got rain! It's amazing how fast the grass and stuff will rebound once they get a little help with mother nature. The lovebugs seem to be thinning out. I really don't mind they too much but I hate those sand knats and biting flies. Seems like when it cools down just a bit so I can go out and work in the yard, I get eaten alive. So much for living close to the marsh. Other wise, I wouldn't trade coastal southeast Georgia for anything!!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Flipflops the love bugs haven't bad for a few years, when the love bugs have a good year they are annoying. They just sort of float around getting into everything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

This year in deep south ga we didn't haveas many as usual. it sure was nice as they are everywhere. I hope May will be the same. Elaine

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

The lovebugs are all gone but the sand knats are back!!!

Atlanta, GA

They live in elderberry trees, FYI--technically they are red elderberry beetles. The baby ones look like large chiggers. My parents have them almost year-round. I have seen an insecticide specifically for them at Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowe's, but haven't tried it personally. I've also heard they can be driven away by mixing a small amount of dish soap with water and spraying them with the resultant mixture, but again, I haven't tried it personally.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Dish soap will kill most any bug FYI. Just mix with water and spray.

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Hi Flipflops, i don't think i saw very many or if any in 2011. I hope all of this dry weather will keep them in check for 2012. Those bugs wreak havoc on cars! From paint damage, visibilty, and radiators clogging up causing over heating...........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.