YIKES - One fell through the cracks

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I planted some potatoe vine this year and it was very vigorous. So vigorous that it covered one of my succulents. Luckily, when I realized what had happened the succulent was still alive and well.

Problem is.... I have no idea what it is called.

Nothing in my tradelist looks even close to it.

Help.

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Maybe some type of ice plant?

(Zone 7a)

It does, indeed, look like an Ice Plant of some kind.

Hobart, Australia

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and excited to make my first ID! :)

What you have there appears to be known by the deligtful name of 'pigface', it is native to my area and goes by the more dignified latin name CARPOBROTUS ROSSII. I have the same kind with pink and one with red flowers. I also have another pigface of a different cultivar with white-blonde flowers I took from cuttings on an island we vistited off the coast of Tasmania, although it hasn't flowered yet, perhaps too much shade in my garden or needs more time to establish?

Here's a link all about pigfaces http://www.apstas.com/carpobrotus.htm

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

J79 - those photos look exactly like it. Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Has your plant survived a winter outdoors? If so I don't think it's Carpobrotus--looking at the entries in Plant Files most of them don't appear to be hardy in your zone (including C. rossii which is listed as zone 9). There are a ton of plants with the common name iceplant and many of them look rather similar, especially when we don't have a good picture of the flowers on yours. I think it's more likely to be something hardier like Delosperma cooperi http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1928/ You might consider posting this on the ID forum too--there are some folks over there who really know their succulents and would probably recognize this one.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

My first thought was that your plant is obviously an ice plant, I agree it looks like delosperma cooperi, (trailing iceplant) as I have that one and others. But I had never heard of carpobrotus & they sure do look similar! Good luck figuring it out.

Hobart, Australia

I guess I wouldn't doubt pigface's hardiness too much, it survives Antarctic winds in coastal Tasmania which can be extremely harsh and cold, and we have frost too. I'm still sure it's a pigface! LOL

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm going to keep an eye of the little one and take some photos of it next time it blooms. Yes, it has survived the heat and cold of zone 7a Oklahoma.

Its a mystery but I'm sure the DG pros will figure it out.

Dawn

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You could repost the picture you have on the ID forum--there's a good chance someone could ID it based on that.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I'll do that but I want a better photo of the blooms. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.