Ask and ye shall receive...maybe

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

This vine is already growing behind the carport, (shown previously) and with a little encouragement, it might do the job. However, I cannot find the name of it On the other hand, I like vine ID just before my carport picture.

I photographed every vine on our property, but this one is already nearby.

Help with id, please?

Linny.

Thumbnail by Linny1
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

have you seen a flower on it yet ?
Leaves make me think Passion Flower incarnata

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1189/

could easily have been a gift from a bird.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Martha, I think you nailed it!!!!

Yes, Martha, as Kay said, you nailed it. I went back out and took a closer look, and it is definitely a passion vine. No flowers yet, and I am sure the former owners took steps to destroy it, so it is not big yet, but will be surely.

Thanks,

Linny

And Linny, it will spread everywhere, by underground runners, so you'll have lots of it to trade.

As Kay said, it will spread, and can pop up anywhere, but I have several different one's in the ground and they get knocked back by freezes, or the butterflies nibble them to the nubbins ! If it is indeed incarnata, they are fragrant ( nice for a vine that you have over your carport) and nothing a pair of sheers and a mower doesn't keep in check

Thanks so much. I plan to run strings from from the plant up to the supports on the carport, to give it something to climb on. Any thoughts on fertilizer, what and when?

If I put in a trumpet vine on the other side, will they duke it out?

Thanks,
Linny

AlI can advise is that if this carport is anywhere near your house, DON'T plant trumpet vine there!

thanks, Kay. I agree... but it is at least 100 feet away, and near nothing else I would be concerned about. I've had so many good suggestions, I think something else will win out.

Appreciate all the input.

Linny

I don't think I'd put Trumpet vine on the other side..Vine "Over load " ...........

If you like the trumpet vine aka Campsis radicans, I'd like to suggest a Bignonia vine - it doesn't spread underground and has nearly the same bloom as Campsis. Here's a picture of one of my Bignonia capreolata vines (I have 4):

Thumbnail by KayJones

I'm with Kay on that, I think I have the same one "Tangerine Beauty" and it's very well behaved. I've got the native one two and we've not had a problem keeping it in check but it's on a pole where it can't reach tree's or other plants and it can be mowed around. The hummer's love it tho, so we grow it.

mjsponies & Kay, gotta check this out. Ok, Ok, I surrender. No trumpet vine.

Yesterday, I ran a string for the passion vine to climb on. Not sure that it will be the final winner. Depends on how aggressively it climbs that string.

Thanks all,

Linny

Thanks,
Linny

Linny,
Were you meaning to attach a picture????????;-)

LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.