Fall Crops Are Struggling

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have turned up all of my raised beds and replanted tomatoes in all of my earth boxes. We have never had heat like this linger this late in the year. Every day is over 90. I have tried to grow another summer green bean crop, tons of cukes, 'maters, squashes (winter and summer) and still save room for the "true" fall crops. I hope they will have time to mature.
It seems as if I need to rethink all of the planting dates and the varieties to use. Anybody else with very bizarre weather? It feels like July.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

LOL! I think every body in N. America is having bizarre weather! While the east coast has suffered with high temps and lots of rain, we on the west coast, are still waiting for summer to happen. We got a few days of 90 degree temps in Aug. Waiting for the other shoe to drop....

Pine Island, FL(Zone 10a)

The weather in this part of the state (lower left) isn't too strange right now. Still too hot, too rainy and humid to do any serious planting . I start seedlings and take my tomato cuttings (from the survivors of this nasty-hot summer) around the 10th of September and start getting them into the planters as soon as the weather stays below 90 for a solid week (about mid-October). Have to keep them shaded pretty well for about 10 days, and protected from tropical storms for a little while. It's nice enough today I can start cleaning up the planters, boxes, etc. Sure love it when hurricanes are say....800 miles away (and not coming much closer), because it sucks the moisture out of the air here and makes it pretty nice. Summers in SW Florida are for the birds.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I know what you mean about the heat. I've been confined to my home for the entire summer except to go to the store for neccessities. It has been extremely hot with constant 90+ temps since June and because of my health my doctors forbid me to go out until late (6PM or so) in the day but then that is mosquitoe time and with all the rain we've had they are to plentiful so here I am. One advantage that we have here in the southeast is the NE and E winds which provide a constant breeze and some times stronger that bring cooling relief in the shade.
I'm hoping to be able to set up my EBs by Oct 15 or so though I will have to buy my heirlooms from a local nursery. This is a first for me as I've always grown my own but again because of the heat I could not do so this season. I hate paying $3.50 for each plant but so be it.

There isn't any image? Must have hit the wrong key! LOL

This message was edited Sep 21, 2010 11:05 AM

Thumbnail by Tplant
San Angelo, TX

I'm a new gardener and this funky weather in West Texas is what I'm learning with. Thank goodness for experienced folks that assure me that this is not normal or I'd give it up.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ha Ha, Real gardeners never give up. We just keep at it until we find what will do well for us, in our environment. There's always hope for next year!

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Well said, OCCCAROL!

Quoting:
"Real gardeners never give up"

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: Yep, I keep trying again and again and again, maybe I will get it right this time round right? LOL Finances have kept me from my fall garden; but, that's ok as I needed to refurbish everything and can look forward to my Spring/Fall garden. My tomato sickness is taking over again. LOL I decided to only grow 20 this Spring, now it's up to 30, everyone here is laughing and saying, "she'll be up to 70 again come Spring"
joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.