Please identify this fungus?

Melbourne, Australia

Found near Algonquin Park in Ontario - looks great but no idea what it is - can someone help please?

Thumbnail by sulkyrob
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Could it be an Amanita?

Keaau, HI

Looks like Amanita muscaria, Fly Agaric.

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for the responses June_Ontario and Metrosideros. I've photo'ed the red version of Amanita muscaria in the past - does it come in yellow also? Are the colour differences geographically based or sub-species based?

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

The field guide to Mushrooms of Ontario and Eastern Canada says, "Yellow and orange-red varieties dominate in the Great Lakes region. Bright red varieties are absent around the Great Lakes and rare in eastern regions." The book also pictures two other Amanitas that can be orange or yellow, A. flavoconia and A. frostiana.

Keaau, HI

At a closer look, the volva of Amanita muscaria consists of a series of scaly concentric rings above the bulb, which I do not see on the above mushroom.

There are several species which look similar to A. muscaria including A. gemmata and some species native to Australia.

Without more details and the help of a key, it is hard to determine which species it may be.

http://www.anbg.gov.au/fungi/mycogeography-nearby.html

http://www.eticomm.net/~ret/amanita/mainaman.html

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks again.
At the risk of complicating the quest (!) the red version I mentioned was found in Australia and was confidently identified as Amanita muscaria by an Aussie expert.
The yellow one in question now was photo'ed near Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada. Looking at images of both muscaria and gemmata my layman's eyes lean towards muscaria still. Without any other keys is this a reasonable conclusion?

This message was edited Sep 12, 2010 8:21 AM

Keaau, HI

On the above mushroom, I don't see the scaly concentric rings (volva) above the bulb, which are consistent with Amanita muscaria.

I missed the Canada part!

There are many similar looking species in Canada. Maybe one of the species that June is suggesting.
Need to have more details / photos to determine a species.

Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Metrosideros - no more photos or details unfortunately. The photo was taken while on a hike and we have moved on elsewhere now. Given your direction and June's earlier help I'll settle for A. flavoconia but understand that may not be right!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.