Do mulberry trees need pollinators

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a 5 year old mulberry tree an d it never gives me any berries, it's the only tree out there, and I wanted to know if I need to plant another one to get berries on this tree.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

No, they don't normally need a pollinator. Typically they are wind pollinated and some types will set fruit without pollination. It may be that your tree is too young. There are multiple cultivars in in three dominate species. Some species are quicker to bear than others. Any idea what you have?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

No, sure don't, it was sent to me in a trade way back when lol

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

They could have sent you one of the fruitless mulberries.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

oh, I didn't know there was such a thing, that's frustrating since I wanted a fruiting kind. but I feel your probably right jujube.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I would wait a few more years. Also, grafting is very very easy with Mulberry so you could just get cuttings of all different kinds of Mulberries and have a fruit salad tree.

I would get white, black and Pakistan mulberry cuttings. Get lots of them and expect a few to fail. The Pakistan Mulberry fruit is 4-5 inches long.

lee

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I was thinking of trying to find a pakistan mulberry tree this spring.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It definitely turns some heads when it is fruiting.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

know of a place on line I can buy one nex t spring?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I got another question maybe you can help me with jujube.

I got 2 goji berry plants and another that's suppose to be just for pollenation. Can I take cuttings off those goji berries and root them ? I was about to go out and do that but their full of blooms now. I couldn't believe it, I just got them this spring and they are loaded with blooms.

got them off ebay from someone.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.