New Tropicana Yellow and Tropicana Red

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Has anyone seen these two new varieties of Tropicana. They are in the current Fine Gardening. The yellow has green and yellow striped leaves. The red has dark red striped leaves. Can you believe the magazine had no source page?

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I can believe it .. lol

I have not seen the magazine, but the yellow (has orange in the flower, also) may be 'Tropicanna Gold'. I saw plants of this here at Lowe's in summer. Be careful though if concerned about virus as all the plants I saw carried it.

The original red was called 'Red Durbin' or 'Durbin Red'. Every plant I ever had of it was diseased, barely grew, and eventually just quit ):
As it has all but disappeared, if you find a source who says they have the red, it is most likely really the orange.

Olivehill, TN

I bought Tropicanna Black and also Gold last Summer at Lowes and until frost they looked good to me. The Gold multiplies like the original Tropicanna. What did you see on the Lowes plants ? Im just getting back into cannas, I lost all of mine during two moves. Im just starting my collection again. Im a canna NUT !!!! However, I dont want to get a virus started right from the get go.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.