Cutting Fabric

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I picked up my nephews' quilts that had been long-armed last night. I was telling Pat, the owner of the LQS, that my seams didn't all meet up for my D9P and that I probably needed more practice. She mentioned about keeping uniform stitching margins and I shared that I didn't think that my seam allowances were the issue..... I'm pretty good at 1/4 inch allowances. But I had found that, though measured, not all my pieces, in this case 5 1/2" squares, were of equal size. She asked how I was measuring and I said that I use the rulers on the cutting mat. She replied that she always uses a ruler, not the cutting mat as the mats are printed in mass and not all the spacing between measurements are true. That would explain a lot. Has anyone else had this issue? I am not sure how I would coordinate the ruler for measuring AND cutting at the same time since I have depended on the mat's lines for guidance.. But I guess it's practice.

Thumbnail by FLStu
This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!