O Shamo chickens, have you seen those?

(Zone 6b)

The sites I pulled up are mostly in the UK. Apparently they are quite popular there. Fierce game birds that like to fight. lol They look mean too, but for some reason I really like them.

They are not grown until they are two years of age. Let them grow slowly it says, give them plenty of exercise, or their legs will be bad.

Lodi, United States

We had Shamo...just plain Shamo...they were wonderful. Tall, fierce looking and very smart. Not aggressive toward people.

I miss the Shamo...and I want an Asil.

(Zone 6b)

http://www.afn.org/~poultry/breeds/shamo.htm

from this website:

"SHAMO in Japanese means "fighter", which is what the Shamo was bred for. The origins of the breed, however, are not Japanese, rather we find Shamoid-type gamefowl in Thailand, India (Asil gamefowl), Taiwan and other parts of tropical southest Asia (Malay). ...

The O-Shamo, the largest, and the Chu-Shamo, next down in size,...

The O-Shamo and the Chu-Shamo are birds of upright carriage with very powerful and protruding shoulders, hard feathers, long and powerful shanks. Even the shoulder backs of the birds display body-builder type musculature. Shamo are pea or walnut combed, pearl-eyed and have large and powerful beaks"

(Zone 6b)

This site has some pictures. Are they cute or what? Ok maybe cute isn't the right word.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/Shamo/BRKShamo.html

One man says his O Shamo can grow to be 3 feet tall. Is that for real?

The bottom of the page shows the chicks. How sweet!

(Zone 6b)

This site has dozens of pictures of them. Some are quite beautiful.

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/orchardpoultryfarm/index.html

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I loved the Shamo we had.. I'm sorry they are gone. Great mousers! I've yet to see any more eggs for sale.. I miss my shamo pair.. :(

Bridgewater, ME

They remind me of something left over from the dinosour age

(Zone 5b)

Well that's just great, after seeing the pictures now I WANT ONE!

Is this a chicken that can live with other breeds of chickens?

Lodi, United States

Not really...although ZZ's were totally mellow with the others while they free-ranged at my place. Some books say they can't be kept with other chickens, other books say they are not bad with other chickens, but you absolutely can't keep them with others of their own breed. Asil (a similar breed) are reported to start fighting with each other as very young chicks.

They were created purely for fighting (and now showing), but like a lot of the game breeds they are very good with people and a lot smarter than most chickens.

(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll have to be content with looking at their. So far, knock on wood, my Girl's all get along well.

THe Asil and Shamo are so cool looking - but I know enough to know -- I don't know enough to have them, and so far we only one coop. The harmony we have with the chickens is worth having some self control when it comes to adding different breeds.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Those chickens remind me of the wild turkeys that are in the corn field every morning.
Cute but rubber chicken looking
Lavina

(Zone 6b)

Look at this rooster. Is he gorgeous? http://www.bidbird.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=976179723

I have no interest in this bird other than to admire him.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I want these sooo bad.. I just can't... I emailed the guy and he said he'd send extras... I also talked to a very experienced breeder and he said you can't tell the difference from an Asil or Shamo.. and they are often called one or the other.. or just Thai Game Bird.

http://cgi.ebay.com/O-shamo-game-fowl-hatching-eggs-6_W0QQitemZ250738580060QQcategoryZ46532QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D2%26pmod%3D250734549714%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5587782584067160173

(Zone 6b)

I like them too, and I don't know why. I was thinking about them today, up to three FEET high. Can you imagine trying to put one in a pot or a roaster? It takes three years to grow them to adulthood too, or so I read.

Guess I'll have reached adulthood if I ever kill and eat one of my own chickens.

That lady in Florida wants a LOT of money for hers. Maybe we should watch her auction and see what happens.

Oh, on birdbid.com when I bid I didn't know if I should pick auto bid or regular bid. So I bid regular bid at the very last minute. Think that was wrong, because I paid what I bid, and nobody bid against me after I bid. I didn't know what to think about that.

(Zone 6b)

She also has these gorgeous whites she calls Pakistani Aseels. They aren't quite as strange looking as the OShamo. http://www.bidbird.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=976179721

She has another one she calls a Blue Brazilian rooster. You can see if you click on other auctions from the seller. He's pretty too. She has boards all around his cage and says she has to keep him separated from the other roosters.

They are known to be fighters aren't they? There are videos where they fight, but I don't watch. Doesn't appeal to me. Guess it's more of a man sport.

What's wrong with me? I can't keep collecting chickens, especially if I can't sell them. I was thinking the other day, wonder what will happen to my chickens if I die. Not that I'm expecting to die soon, but the thought ran through my mind. Guess that'll be someone else's problem.

(Zone 6b)

Z I wrote to that lady on bidbird. Here is her reply.

HI karen YES THEY ARE HUGE PRETTY COLORFUL TO LOOK AT AND GENTLE. TO PEOPLE BUT YOU CANT LET ANOTHER ROOSTER OUT OR ITS SOUP TIME. nOT TO WORRY I ALWAYS HAVE THESE. I COLLECT RARE FOWLS. GOT bLACK COPPER MARANS/ LAVENDER ORPINGTON THINKING ABOUT THE SILVER SUSSEX OR CORONATION SUSSEX CANT DECIDE WHICH IS PRETTIER. WELL THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT. EMAIL ME WHEN EVER YOU ARE READY I GOT EGGS TO PUT IN THE BATOR AND I DO SELL HATCHING EGGS TOO. HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY. GEN

She also said that bird is 33 inches high!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I ahve seen pics. They are pretty wicked looking lol

Ferndale, WA

ZZ's is right, the Shamo is a name given to the Asil by the Japanese after importing them from Punjab, India. The Japanese are very good at what they do, and they usually invest heavily in those things of great interest and as they develop they rename them and often leads outsiders to think they are a different breed. We have a guy in our area who raises them but they are the smaller breed of Asil and I have talked with him many times. His birds only lay eight to twelve eggs a year. They are very expensive. He showed me one pair he was selling for six hundred bucks. I was in shock for a week. They are beautiful but I don't like how he raises them. They are chained to a dog igloo and can only go about six feet from the pen. I understand why they are so expensive once I realized how few eggs they lay. He also said the larger ones lay a lot more eggs than the smaller breed but still not many when compared to regular chickens...Hay

(Zone 6b)

The illegals that have the horse lot next to mine had a rooster they paid $800 for. They are into fighting roosters. So far no one has bothered mine, but then, mine are not fighting birds.

Which might be something I need to consider if I do finally get some pens built out there. What I want is a long rectangle that is 7 or 8 feet high, something I can walk inside and is enclosed, then have the runs outside and on top covered with wire, also 8 feet high. I may need to reconsider and put some kind of solid wall all around, and put the chicken wire on the top of the runs. Just to keep the birds a little safer, where no one could easily see them.

This chicken dreamin is spensive.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I heard a story about how this local breeder had to raise his birds under lock and key with a camera in a remote location! Super high $ show birds.. I could see how theft would be so easy.. but wow.. those must be nice birds!

I was worried about the ones I had being in the public eye like they are... I actually thought they could be stolen! Very popular around here.

(Zone 6b)

My daughter just had Christmas packages stolen out of her car. I'm going to try and set up a surveillance camera for her.

I don't celebrate the holiday myself, because of the pagan history in it, but to steal a little boy's toys is low down.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh no! That's too bad L_F_J Sorry to hear that.

Fresno, CA

I just thought I add this here. Was browsing through www.thugon.com/chickenweb/chickenindex.htm and saw some o shamo there. Looks frightening as they are so big. Would like to have a pair if anyone knows where I can get some.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I knew a guy who raised Asils. Mean buggars. He fought them. The chicks begin fighting each other at a few days old. Survival of the fittest I guess. The roo has to defeat the hen before he can breed her.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.