A FEW OF THE RED GUMS IN MY AREA.

Merino, Australia

Took these photos yesterday and thought some of our overseas friends may like to see them. Just a few of the old red gums . Such a lot were cut down by the early settlers but there are pockets of them left around. Sadly a lot tend to die slowly as they are left standing in solitary splendor in paddocks where cattle etc can ruin them . Our long dry periods also affect them as they like a drink more often than they get in drought times. There are a lot around that are really gnarled and even bigger than these I took pictures of, but I could only get those along the road where I could see them.
Maybe not the biggest and prettiest trees but I love them and their individual personalities.
I am not sure of the correct botanical name but I know they are Eucalypts, maybe E. camaldulensis.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Even the dead ones make a statement .

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

With age, some of these can get very large around the base with lots of gnarly roots above the ground.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

I often see some that should be dead but they survive in lots of odd shapes. The eucalypt is a wonderful survivor . I have seen great trees fall over then simply keep growing upright branches from along the fallen tree. They will quickly generate lots of new growth after fires .

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

This one definitely has personality. You can see by the dry grass , it was taken last summer. No dry grass here at the moment with all the rain.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2010 9:07 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

I took this photo years ago but he is very similar to those around here. Just shows how big they can grow and he is not the largest I have seen in this species.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
barmera, Australia

Beautiful Pics Jean. Brian will probably be able to ID them. Colleen

Brisbane, Australia

I do love the gum trees and eucalypts. I have 32 perch yard with white gums and ironbarks that grew by themselves, so I left them. Over 30 years old now, and home to birds and possum. They will stay standing as long as I am alive, anyway. Though I've had to fight for them on occasion. They are not close to houses and young yet to be dropping large branches.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.