Looks like a plant virus to me!

Arlington, TX

This tree is 4 years old and was repotted this year in good soil. It has always looked ragged after the intensely hot summers here but comes back full force each spring. It is dropping leaves and to me this looks like a virus of some sort. Not too different from what I have seen on veggies etc. Any hope or ideas on what to do and what it is? I grew JM in MI, in the ground in semi shade and never had any problems with them. I see people with these trees here in TX so I know they can do well. I don' t think its root bound as I repotted this spring. Small branches are bare but not dead and appear to have leaf buds. Could this be the result of a prolonged heat wave and too much water? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheryl

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

The whole set up.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Milford, DE

The stem looks good to me. I am wondering if it is to close to the house where the house is generating not only a lot of heat but the white siding looks like it could have given it a sunburn. I would suggest moving the plant to a shady area and see what happens.

Dave

Arlington, TX

Had not thought of that but it has been in that location for 4 years now and this is the first time its really bad. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade there, thats why I picked that site.
C

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Looks like heat and sun ... this has been a horrible summer I don't know if it has been worse down there but I don't see this as anything but sun and heat burn from whatever the cause... not a virus... Plants in pots seem to be very susceptible to this it is very hard to keep them watered and cool in extreme heat... This looks pretty typical . if you are using a west coast soil blend that the water flows right thru you will get this in a severe summer.Davidsan

Arlington, TX

You know I did repot with better draining soil as the old soil was water logged and soggy at the bottom. I bet having the water move through more quickly allowed it to heat up more. Yes, we had quite a heat wave here, months of 100 + temps and no rain and not much cooling at night. Well temps are down so lets see if it does ok. Wonder what I should do for next season, might have to move it out into the ground.
C

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.