What's my name?

Linden, TX(Zone 8a)

I posted this flower on the Texas gardening forum but no one could identify it. This plant actually came from Arkansas via a friend in NE Texas who does not know its name either. As you can see, it has a dalia looking bloom and has rough leaves like that of a blackeyed susan.

Thumbnail by Frostykay
Mentor, OH

That is a beautiful flower. I have no idea what it is but will definitely follow this to find out. It sure does look like a dahlia.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

My first guess is that it a Dahlia also, but the flower could also look like a Mum..but it doesn't have the Mum leaves. Hope more people respond so we can all find out what it really is.

Athens, PA

It looks very much like mine - Helianthus multiflorus - Perennial Sunflower and the leaves appear to be the same as well.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

looks like a dahlia to me

Linden, TX(Zone 8a)

Carolyn22, Helianthus multiflorus is the name. I looked at more pictures and that is definitely my flower. Thank you, Kay

Athens, PA

Kay

you are very welcome! ^_^

Austin, TX

I want that perennial sunflower....I'll go on a hunt.

Linden, TX(Zone 8a)

Good Luck. I've never seen it in a nursery and it is sterile so no seeds available. I've gone through practically every seed head on my plant and not a seed to be found. I did root two, but still in the process of getting the plant established myself. I've noticed this fall that it is not the nice compact plant that it was in the summer. Taking on the sprawling native look of its parents. But I still love it. Maybe next year I will have some to share. Kay

Delphi, IN

Try Bluestone Perennials, if you haven't found a source.

Athens, PA

I was lucky enough to get mine at a plant swap. It did start out as a 'nice little plant', however, it is now about 3 ft tall. Next Spring, he is going to the back of the garden!

Tuckahoe, NY

I got some from a Bluestone sale some years back. It clumps up fast, and could be divided easily to make jillions of plants in short order if one wanted to do so. Its a good reliable summer bloomer, gets about 3 or 4 feet tall, may flop if in good soil but is easily staked if needed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.