Lily dividing.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I have lilies I planted a few years ago. They were very thick this year. Now that the season is about over, how do I handle dividing them. Can the bulbs be stored until spring or do they need to be planted this fall?
All comments are welcome.
Bernie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Bernie! It's best to plant them right back in the ground, if you're able. Dig up the whole clump, separate them and plant them out as you like ~ they'll barely miss a beat.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

ahhhhhmen.I just finished mine.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I tried digging up some of mine, but quit after I thought I might be doing more damage than good.

It appears they go rather deep in the soil, alot deeper than I ever planted them and surrounding the mother bulb there are lots of tiny baby bulbs. I ended up pulling out the stem from the mother bulb and now there is a big hole in the center of the mother bulb. Will this hurt the bulb? The baby bulbs are so tiny, how long will it take them to get to blooming size?

Any advice would be welcome.

Debbie

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am not any way an expert ,but have had the same experience digging lilies.
I used to use a spade,The result was either a curved stem cut off so I couldnt find the bulb ,or half a bulb.
Those baby bulbs take a few years,I think.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

The removal of the stem from the bulb naturally produces a "hole" in the bulb. Nothing to worry about. If you are replanting immediately, it would be best to wait a day to do your required watering to settle things in. Let the open wound caused by stem removal get a dried skin over it to help prevent disease. I must admit though, that I don't always follow my own advice here. This is just precautionary, and merely an added layer of protection against bulb rot.

We have all damaged bulbs multiple times when digging. Myself, it happens just about every year with something. I grow many species lilies, and their stems tend to wander more in the soil before emerging. Hybrids not as much. Most of us have tried to teach ourselves to begin digging way away from the lily stem(s).

I never use a spade. A round pointed shovel is my preferred implement. Your aim should be to try to get under the bulb and lift, rather than push and lift from the side. This way, as you pry the shovel, you can watch the lily stem, and determine if you are actually lifting the bulb. Done right, the stem should move, but not in relation to the soil around it. You should be removing a shovel-full of dirt, with bulb, stem and stem bulblets intact and pristine. Then break the clump apart to extract the components.

There is a mix of logic and physical science here. Take mental notes, and you'll be surprised how they benefit you in the future.

It is not uncommon for dug bulbs to be deep than when you planted them. In fact, it can be more of a rule.

Depending on the type of lily, a large stem bulblet might even bloom the next season. Usually though, stem bulblets bloom in the second or third season. Mother bulb divisions will bloom the next season.

Rick

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great news and tips Rick

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Wow....thanks for the information. Guess I'll give it another try and be more courageous.

Debbie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Even if you completely cut through the heart of the bulb (which I have) allow it to heal as Lefty mentioned, then replant. It took a few years but the remaining scales produced little bulbs that eventually flowered. It can't hurt to try. :)

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Just another reason as to why I really like Dave's...always so much help when a question is asked.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.