What's happening in your neck of the woods friends, Sept./10

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Time for a new thread - new month, new season and the other thread is getting pretty long.
Happy September.

We came from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1121758/

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

New month, new thread ^_^

Well .. the 'F' word arrived overnight. Jack Frost did NOT however, come to ground. The rooves got painted a silvery white but the gardens didn't get touched .. yet ..

Busy day ahead, thinking I am going to HAVE to make salsa now to use the tomatoes. Just listening to the furnace humm along .. soon I'll look out the windows and see SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully not til LATE November though !!

Have a splendiferous day everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, many of us are up and at it...thanks Ann for the new thread...if the rain ever stops I'll get out and divide some hosta's as well, you've given me the nudge to do so...

How are the reno's coming along..keeping to schedule and budget? Wedding on Sunday, that is rather unusual? Hope you've sunshine for it..

I've a grandson that has done the same Ann, he's been in hockey since he could walk now he's decided to give it up for a year..nope, too much money spent to register and equipment..I cannot believe how much money it cost..lordy I've 3 grandsons in hockey, don't know how parents do it these days! No wonder they say it's a multi-million dollar business .

"M" don't think it's as bad here as it is up there..shock to the system isn't it. You'll be well stocked with canning/freezing this winter and yes, won't be long..

Yesterday on my run to Meaford you could see the orchards ladden with apples, yet to soon to purchase but Oct. 3 is the start of scarecrow festival and craft show, I'll be able to purchase bushels then..was saying to Cathy, hard to believe we can say 'next month we'll have snow'..often happens mid to late October...

Puddling around here, sewing/painting/cleaning/washing, flitting from room to room always something to do..tummy is saying feed me right now so off I go

Waving to all

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh no M that doesn't sound good.. NOT THE "F" WORD, next thing you know it will be the "S" WORD!! I'm just not ready for that yet... Summer is just way to short, and winter wow that seems to last a lifetime...
jen

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Its the R word here- rained all last evening and most of the night, just spitting now but probably more later.

A normal Sunday for me - a shift at LH this afternoon and nothing I need to do the rest of the day except maybe a bit of sanding. I might go to Home Depot next week and see if I can rent a slightly bigger sander .

Victoria Harbour, ON

Jen, how's our little one? Bet she's growing a mile a minute..are you getting into a routine? Know you usually have company on long weekends, do you have a full house?

Judy, you must be up at the cottage enjoying last long weekend of summer...

Liz, while cleaning the other day came across you humangi and pattern for a dog/bear...guess they weren't sure what exactly it looked like..

Well almost done my rock, gabbed with my mom for awhile, yikes, going on the 17th and didn't she tell me FIL is coming as well, I won't get too excited because each time we've made arrangements for him to come he's cancelled out..

Hungry, got some mac/tomato/cheese leftovers so going to warm that up then finish my rock..

Told mom what my rock was and she quickly said to do another..told me I wasn't nice..drats...guess I'll have to keep it..lol

NO Salsa .. going to wait .. got caught up with laundry and hanging it out then took Piper for a wee walk .. had a minor disaster at the very end of it .. he got tangled around the base of an Evergreen .. he paniced and I had to scramble (Sciatic back and all) under said tree to TRY and retrieve him without injury to either of us .. scared the beejeebers outta both of us .. but .. we both seem to have withstood the shock .. I NEVER plan to use the CORD type of 'extendilead' again, I'll go with the ribbon ..

Everyday we get another room tidied, by Friday the house should be 'in order' .. or some semblance of that LoL
I am so NOT a housekeeper, Lorna, 'bless her heart' , is a wonderful help.

Off to clean a planter .. Betty .. I betcha your rock looks awesome ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

We're on the same track "M", cleaned and filed all my paint books by theme, took me over 3 hrs...

Because that young lady will be living here for 4 months, thought I should get everything out of that closet, now it's under beds and downstairs closet

Have a few drawers I should be cleaning, good reason we call them junk drawers..lol..

As for the rock, well doubt anyone from the swap would be on the Canadian thread so I'll give you a peek..

Won't be sending this one though, I wanted to do something whymsical, something easy and quick and now guess it will sit in my garden..have to find a name for him though!!! lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

WHOA!! Hmmmmmmmm .. not sure whatcha should call that lil guy !! My gosh Betty, what a GREAT job .. looks so flippin REAL !!!

I am so :0( !!! Piper has taken and hidden (and likely CHEWED) one of my good black dress shoes !!!!
I have searched HI and LO .. under the beds .. makes me So angry .. BUT .. I'm the one who took them off (in a rush) and left them at the back door !!
Someone wiggle yer nose and make a few months pass by !!! LoL .. wouldn't it be grand to have your pet taken and trained and returned to you ... I'd never do that though as the journey to bein a 'good wee doggy' is a journey meant for owner and puppy .. so .. I shall hang in ..

Supper is done .. roasted some Elephant garlic .. it was so sweet !!! May not be able to get near me for a few days though LoL

Dishwasher is hummin away, think I'll take Piper and Lilly out and then head for a shower and bed .. lots on my agenda for tomorrow.

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" you should have know better, poor little Piper getting into mischief for what, for someone who doesn't put her shoes away...awwww

Just kidding "M"..puppies do know how to get into everything though..

We had several hours of sunshine today which wa snice, didn't go out though..Rita, Cathy's mom dropped in and brought me another pair of jeans to shorten (tradeoff for her and Cathy coming to look after my critters) lol..said her umbrella turned inside/out due to high winds, shortly after she left it poured again..just one of those weekends..

No news from the young lady coming to stay, guess it will be tomorrow..as for Jeff and the boys, think they are having a grand time at the cottage and forgot to call to let me know that they weren't coming tonight..who knows, it's only me who goes to bed at 8pm..they still might arrive..

Finished all I had set out to do today, lordy my back is killing me, can't recall lifting anything, not sure why it's paining, think I'll take a few pain killers and head to bed..

Looking forward to a relaxing day tomorrow...

Hope you've had a sunshine day in your neck of the woods..

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

No betty this weekend its just us.. My brother in law that usually comes down works for staples and this is there busiest weekend all year, so hes working.. Alli is great and yes were getting into a great routine, hubby has gone back to work this past week so it was a bit of an adjustment for us all..

we went to walmart to get some rubber-maid bins to store my canna and elephant ear bulbs for the winter.. I was happy to get them but sad that its coming to an end so quickly.. We still have a month maybe 2 before i take them out but that just seems so close..

anyways good night ladies
jen

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty - if you were closer I'd commission a rock for my garden. Probably would cost a fortune to ship.

Were out all afternoon and evening. My church organist, who has a finger in every musical pie in Ottawa, got married this afternoon. She and new hubby are both divorced Catholics. The ceremony was held in a decommissioned Catholic church which is now used a lot for concerts and still has the original altars and murals - a designated heritage site.

There was a 7 piece orchestra and the Ottawa Bach Choir singing both a cappela and with the orchestra. The orchestra played for a lengthy time before the service began. The music was lovely. Here's one pic I got. She's absolutely the only person I know who could pull off wearing a dress like that for a second wedding. :-)

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

Betty the rock is very cool - you are talented for sure! Would love to have something like that in the garden.
Beautiful day in NB today but only 4 this morning when I got up so we will be the next ones hearing the "F" word.
Harvested my potatoes yesterday, guestimating I got about 25 - 30 lbs. Nice potatoes - only threw two away that were bug chewed.
Going to the gardening store today - all this talk about spring bulbs makes me want more. Also looking for a couple of bags of crushed stone or rock to put at the bottom of the new deck - need something to step off on to - maybe a couple of patio stones too. I'll see what I can find.
Then laundry and get myself ready to go back to work tomorrow - yuck! Even a three day weekend just goes way too fast.

st.george, NB(Zone 5a)

The spiders were busy in the driveway last night.

Thumbnail by growum

Gosh Ann, she is absolutely STUNNING !!! And the building is amazing .. beautiful wedding ^_^

It is +1C here .. and I do think that there WAS frost on ground .. will see once I get into the garden. Did cover the Cannas though .. they have yet to bloom.

Have baskets of apples from our trees to putz with, will likely make apple crisps, freeze them, and cook as needed. Worked well last year.

Hope everyone enjoys their day !!

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Stopped in at Home Depot this morning to see about renting a belt sander for a day or two to finish getting the glue off the floor and the gal there said why dont you use Glue Buster? Explained what it was so I went and bought some( not cheap of course!) and also had to buy some Methyl Hydrate. Started on a small bit of floor - it is a gel spread thickly, wait 15 mins and scrap off. Well - what a great product! The glue just came up in sheets! I just have one last big bit to do and then some small bits around the edges and then I will just have to sand off the old finish.

Pretty cool this morning - my outdoor therm was 4 degrees on the north side of the house.Some areas of the city had frost on the roofs I think.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Progress report- most of the glue is off- little bits and pieces left which will come off when I start to sand off the finish. The outer areas are where I sanded the glue off. Looks better already!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oops that was the wrong pic!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Carol - that looks like good progress.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

very nice - would love to see the finished floor (hint, hint) lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Rained most of the evening and probaly al nite too and still. Well the moisture is good this time of year especially for the trees.

My cat Jazz is not well. He is showing the same symptoms his sister had last fall and I expect it is kidney failure.But I will not put him thru what she went thru the day I took her to the vet- stuffed into a c arrier, poked and prodded and xrayed and at the end of the day I have a little bag of ashes and a $900 vet bill! Even trying to get into a vein to euthanise her was traumatic for us both. So I wont do that to him ( and cant afford it either) He is spending most of his day on the sofa, not eating very lethargic although this morning early he did get upstairs and appeared in the bedroom - he usually comes up for pets so I got up and put him on the bed ( he cant jump up there now) and he settled down and is still there. I got some moist food yesterday and did get him to eat some tiny bits but he is not much interested.
He is just about 14 years - I got him and his sister Chelsea when they were 10 months old.
This is Jazz (lt) and Chelsea in the cat cradle in the kitchen window.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol, hugs for you my friend, it's so hard to know what to do for our furries when the time comes, I'm sure you've made the right decision! Jazz has had all the love a kitty could want, now he needs the same love to let him pass on with dignity!

You are doing a fantastic job with the floor..anxious to see it finished as well..can't do much anymore re projects that it doesn't cost a fortune, imagine if you had to pay someone to do it?

It's cold here today, brrr, raining and windy, even had the micro furnace on..imagine, yesterday could breath from the heat/humidity..calling for below normal temps all this week..

Lordy my gardens are all but finished, soon it will be time to put all the garden art items away for yet another year, usually I do it Thanksgiving weekend but it's normally freezing then and I regret not doing it prior to then..

Just spoke with my sister Sharon, the Orangeville nurse that went missing last week body parts were found on Sharon's road, just down from her house..yikes, she's nervous about that...

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

(((Carol))) - so sorry. But you're absolutely right to let him go with dignity. And let's hope just maybe there will be a miracle.

Betty - was that the body found over the weekend? Do they have an ID yet?

Need to get lunch and get in to the FC to volunteer. BBL

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol - it's a tough call for you, however I know you'll do what's best for him.
Bless you for being the furry owner you are.....

Feel for you Carol, but stand by you re your decision .. when Smokey's time comes, we will do the same ..
The floor looks super !!

A dismembered nurse !! Good grief ... will have to go to the Star to see if I can pick up on that story ..

Had the windows measured today, will have 3 new ones installed within 5 weeks .. I was quite pleased with the price.

Have been having fits here .. Lorna's parents are due on Friday and Piper and Lilly were diagnosed as having FLEAS !!! I have been washing anything and everything that is washable that they have been on or near and vacuuming like mad .. they have both been treated with a drug called ADVANTIX by Bayer ... but I am beside myself here .. the vet feels Piper's litter had fleas as the dogs are not near any other dogs etc .. sheesh .. won't even tell ya what the diagnosis and treatment cost !!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to make and freeze some apple pies .. MORE ...

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Could they be 'sand fleas' "M"...

Yes, they confirmed the body was that of the nurse..terrible for the family to get such news..

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/09/07/15272976.html

I'm frozen here..brrr
guess tomorrow I'm looking for longjohns

I just read all about the nurse on CNN .. how horrifying .. her poor family ... man's inhumainty to man !!

Cool here but so lovely and sunny .. was able to make pastry and with the help of many hands have 6 apple pies to freeze ..
Frost is actually being predicted, so, there goes the flowers ..

Guess I should be thinking up something for supper .. puttin on my Betty Crocker hat ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

"Betty" Crocker hat? LOL Hey Betty - do you have one of those???? LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

NOPE...big NO..lol..you know me and cooking just don't mix but I do great pies, if I lived closer "M" I'd be helping you with your pies for the freezer...coming shortly is the pumpkin pies, should make life easier and pick up pie pumpkins and cook and freeze pulp then come thanksgiving I'd not be rushed..

Blooming cold here this morning and it's still raining and blowing like crazy! Just went through my closet to find winter clothing, imagine, could wear shorts on Tuesday and now a coat would be in order.

Must run, have a coat of finish to put on the rocks I've painted before leaving for work so off and running,

Gab later

FRENZIED about sums ME up right now .. I think if we can't have '7 36 hour days a week, we should at least be afforded MAYBE 2 ^_^

Had a wee 'set back' today .. had the chimney sweeps in to clean (obviously) the chimney from the wood stove .. not the usual crew came .. welllllllllllllllllllllllllll .. seems the one fella went up on the roof to do whatever it is they do with that brush thing, and the other fella was to I guess be the watcher in the house .. his cell phone rang (the watcher) .. he reached to answer it .. the brush came down the chimney .. and .. OMG .. the wood stove door was open as was the tarp they place around the hearth .. needless to sat I have/had a mess to deal with .. but I did not pay for the clean out, and they are going to have my sheers and drapes cleaned .. course, with company arriving tomorrow .. well .. what can I say ..

PUMPKIN pies .. mmmmmmmmm .. gonna have to be on the lookout for pie pumpkins fer sure .. be having a turkey dinner next weekend I am thinking.
Now there's a conundrum .. I am having a dinner party .. I think .. hmmmmmmm .. probably do a chicken with all the fixins yadda yadda or a prime rib .. so .. I start calling the folks I am asking .. one is now a Vegan .. STRICT one .. another is on a low cholesterol diet, one can;t have added salt .. sooooooooooo .. I decided that I willl simply take them all out for dinner and they can order from the menu .. easier for me !!

Cool evening .. maybe frost .. not sure ..

Take care

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

smart planning for "taking out for dinner", Marilyn! What an organizational chaos if you planned for every taste & preference.........

I think so Susan ... sign of the times these dietary restrictions .. back 'in the day' .. you simply went to a dinner party .. enjoyed the company .. can remember people smoking at the dinner table and afterwards in the living rooms, having a few drinks and driving home .. how times change .. for the better.

Have whipped and wiped the house back into shape .. just have a few odds and ends to tie up then off to the airport to pick up the company .. gonna be a busy couple of weeks, but, don't know if it's just me .. time seems to be moving at WARP SPEED here !!! 2 weeks seems like 2 days !!! Hmmmmmmmmmm .. I wonder if that might be called getting older LoL

Take care everbody, enjoy your weekend !!!

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Rain seems to have stopped but it was still rather chilly yesterday so no garden work except pulling beans and carrots and beets, some for supper, some to a neighbor.

Jazz is still with us - he retreated to my bedroom closet ( one of his safe spots when a strange dog is in the house) on Wed afternoon- I had been trying once again to get him to eat and it became obvious he just did not want me to bother him. So I check on him once in awhile and spend a few minutes scratching his head which he has always liked and there is a bit of food and water there. This morning to my surprise he was at the door when I got up and had gone into the bathroom and used the litter box! First time in almost 3 days!

Looks like it will be a good day to finish sanding the floor so then I can vacuum all the dust, will even have to wipe down some of the walls! Picked up the stain and varnish yesterday plus some paint for the woodwork which needs repainting.

Tomorrow is a busy day, Plant Share in the Morning and working a private event at LH in the evening and hope to sandwich in a quick visit with Ann who is coming down to dig some plants at her Moms out in Springbank.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yaaaaaaaaaay Jazz!! keep it up, little furry!!!! Could the sawdust be bothering him?

Victoria Harbour, ON

How wonderful, good going Jazz

Yikes been busy busy no time to gab...will have to wait a little while longer but just had to post to say how thrilled I am with Jazz's spurt of energy...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Susan I doubt it - he was stayingdownstairs in the living room pretty much the whole time I was seriously sanding and did not come back upstairs until Tuesday night and I have not done much sanding since them.

He has retreated back into the closet after his little trip out this morning. I do think he may have drunk some water, the dish seems a bit lower but no food touched.

My burning bush is looking rather nice this year!

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
News that Jazz is moving around and wanted to go out is good. I hope he rests up and gets himself back to on the mend.
Look forward to seeing you and furries on the weekend.
Marilynn I have found that Vegans are very good at picking out what they can eat and will fit in most home meals with no problem. I do know that taking a group out means you don't have to fuss either so enjoy your dinner!
Busy Betty ...go figure. It's not often that you don't have time to type! Wow.

Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hope you have a good visit, Ann ^_^

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

There is a chill in the air but they are calling for a fall sunshine day..let's hope so as I'm getting antzy not getting into the gardens these past few weekends.

Up early, drove into Midland yesterday to bring my boarder Rose to catch a bus to Toronto then went to pay for the sreens I purchased to enclose back deck and had forgotten my purse on the bottom of the backside deck stair..drats I'm so careless when it comes to my purse...they were closing in 1/2 hr. so back to Midland I must go this morning..saw multi garage sale signs so I might get to do a few of those at same time NOT that I need anything just a fun thing to do...

What do you all have planned for today?

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Allison has been on a backwards schedule lately.. She sleeps great through the day but at night OMG... last night i slept from 7am till 10am as you would Imagen i'm soooo tired lately..

Thumbnail by smurf428

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.