Small blue morning glory.......

Claxton, GA(Zone 8b)

A friend of mine gave me one small mg plant. I planted it beside a pine tree on a small trellis. It has since taken over the trellis, a large pine limb, a fence, a bench and a larger trellis! It's blooms are small but the seed pods are rather large with up to 6 seeds per pod. Any ideas on the name? If you have a large area you want covered fast, this is the one! :)

Michele

Thumbnail by southpines
(Zone 7a)

Looks like Ipomoea hederacea - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53528/ .

I agree about how pretty this one is, as well as watching it around other plants. Mine used to be a demure trickle through an old yew hedge, but where we've been able to saw out some of last winter's snow/ice damage (an unheard of 80" in Maryland), it is giving the remaining yew hedge quite a trouncing - seems to grow faster than we can saw grrr

karen

Claxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Karen, I compared them to my hederacea but they're a bit smaller - must be some type of variety, though. I do agree that they will take over but they are pretty. :)

Michele

(Zone 7a)

Michele,

I think there probably are a few varieties of I. hederacea out there - hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in here.

There has been some success crossbreeding I. hederacea with other Ipomoea species - http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/Asagao/Yoneda_DB/E/species/hybrids.html .

If my memory is working, Atenkley once posted that he thought he had discovered an unusually rust-resistant vine of I. hederacea - how wonderful introducing that disease resistance into I. nil would have been - haven't heard any follow-up.

Karen

Mesilla Park, NM

I wonder if this is thumbellina? did the flower hang down like little bells? I've got a photo of the ones I grew a couple of years ago, I'll look for it and see if it has a photo of the leaves.. I think the one I had, had cordate leaves, not tri-lobed. Thumbellina is the smalled morning glory I think.

Do you have a photo of the sepals or seedpods? Try to get a photo of those if you can, that will help with the identification. Great looking flower too, nice baby blue.

Waving a big hello there to Bluespiral.....

A.

(Zone 7a)

Hi Gourd - good thinking about asking for a side-ways picture of Michele's flower so we can see the sepals for ID

Claxton, GA(Zone 8b)

I'll see what pics I can get in the morning - different angles and the pods. Thanks so much!

Michele

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.