September Weather

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Very pleasant early this morning; Local weather guy tells us the ragweed pollen and mold count are high. :o((
# Today: Mostly sunny. High 88F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Partly cloudy. Low 58F. Winds light and variable.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

61* and feeling pretty nice! We'll have a high of 81*, 10% chance of rain and NNW breezes. MMM MMM MMM!

I am ALONE with my thoughts today. The boys went home late in the evening yesterday. We were all ready :o)

Ric, I had to bookmark Flickr since there were so many to look at. Gorgeous pictures on those I did peek at!! I think the Question Mark is fast becoming my favorite, along with the Buckeye, since I have them here. I'd love to have the Pipevine. Thanks for the link to Frank and Jim's cause.

Marsue, so true. Usually all you have to do is think about them and you're planning on when to get them next :o) I love that tree basket!! Bright red was the color to add.

Bernie, whole corn fields are starting to disappear this week. The harvest is on!! We were getting rain, but now we aren't and the ground is cracking open. I haven't seen that happen in years. We just don't have the clay for that. MY Dad will get bottomless cracks in his gumbo every year. We will all enjoy your pictures of Daylilies next year!

Kelli, we have a few groaners around here, so it was the perfect word for them! I think your hiking pictures are fantastic documents and are valuable in case things change in the years to come. We are over do for a polarity flip. Not that we will know unless Scientists tell us it happened. But, the world is getting weird anyway.

LOL! Bernie would be busy no matter where he lived! (I had the same thoughts myself.) Your wife is a lucky woman with a beautiful kitchen! Almond really didn't fit in did it? I like counters I can reach in a step or two. I am so jealous of the windows over the sink!!

Really, there is so much to look at in one of your far ranging pictures. It's not plain and drab.

Pepper, I'm glad you're going to be heading out with new brakes, especially with winter coming. The pasture behind the Catholic Cemetery looks like that and has Boneset. It's where I got mine and be danged if I didn't get a volunteer Goldenrod too. Nice serene picture. I can see the grasshoppers jumping, hear the insects droning, feel the sun....

Marsue, I feel for those with allergies :o(

Have a great day all! I get to mow!!

(Zone 7a)

BP, giving a hug!!! I know how you feel with that empty house. (((((hug)))))

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
Looks kinda like "crop circles" in the center of the photo!

I think that what you are looking at is where people have cleared brush away from their houses and/or stables. The fire department recommends, I think 200 feet cleared around buildings, though a lot of people don't do that. You know by now that fire dictates a lot of why things are the way they are here.

Nice kitchen, Bernie. We have oak cabinets, which is how the house was built. Some things about the house are kind of cheap, but the kitchen cabinets are nice. (House was built in 1964, so even the "cheap" things probably aren't that bad compared to newer houses. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet the little niceities are few and far between in the non-luxury houses.)

Pepper, I like your field pictures, but for some reason, they make me kind of itchy. ;-)

Was hotter than expected.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on September 13, 2010
90 °F
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 35 °F
Wind: 8 mph from the ESE

If this article needs a picture, I've got the perfect one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malibu_Ozarks

Thumbnail by Kelli
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Warmed up today to a toasty 85 degrees. Storms northwest of us that might give us some rain tomorrow if any of it holds together.

This is a plant in the pasture. I should have climbed the fence to get a closer look at it but I took the pic at the time of day when skeeters are out in full force so was trying to hurry up. lol. I don't know what it is but it sure is pretty.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We've done remodels on kitchens from the 60's & 70's. Most have really nice cabinets but lousy doors & drawers. So we just put new drawers & doors on the old cabinets. About ½ the price & look great when done.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL, Kelli, at the photo for the "Malibu Ozarks". Enjoyed the article, too--who knew?
Pretty wildflower, pepper.

A nice day today. My next door neighbors have a new little Schnauzer. Her name is Bonnie and they have had her about a month. They also have another dog named Boo. Friday and I were visiting with them this afternoon and I took this picture of my neighbor, John and his daughter, Michelle, with the 3 dogs.

Thumbnail by marsue
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL Kelli! Look at all the roads on those mountains. I think your right, I think it is 200ft, funny how people don't realize how safer it would be for them if they would keep their property cleared, fires happen all the time in the hills, it's so dry it's unreal.

Nice pic Mau! Me And You And A Dog Named Boo!

Who remembers that song?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Here you go, Crissy! :o))
http://www.metrolyrics.com/me-and-you-and-a-dog-named-boo-lyrics-lobo.html

[/quote]the photo for the "Malibu Ozarks". Enjoyed the article, too--who knew?[/quote]

Even I didn't know. I have never heard that phrase before, but it's not like I hang around with the Malibu crowd. I just hang around in their turf. ;-)

Quoting:
funny how people don't realize how safer it would be for them if they would keep their property cleared

Some time I'll have to get a windshield video of Red Rock Canyon Road. It is a narrow, almost one lane, barely paved, deadend road through a thick oak woodland with various houses - from hillbilly to millionaire - along it. It is quaint, but a firetruck nightmare and a brush fire disaster waiting to happen.

Quoting:
Who remembers that song?

Yep, it's like Ric in his younger days - but maybe that was on a different thread.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Mau, what a lovely picture! Friday is so cute!
Sally, I know how you must feel! It's hard being a grandma! Your plant seems to be a rudbeckia.
Bernie, wow, your kitchen looks great! Love those cabinets! I also have white!
Tropic, love those birds, great pic!
Ric, I can't wait to see those pics on Flickr. Your Bfly pics are awesome!
Nice weather today, warm and sunny. 70F seems great for September!
I have 10 more days before I'm leaving to my DD's...yiippeeee! I just received the papers with Nicholas' birth ceritifcate and will have to go and make a Romanian one for him...such a mess with these papers!
Picture of the moon a few nights ago.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Adina!!!! Waving!!!

That was one of my favorite songs when I was about 3 or 4, I also liked another one, can't think of it right now... something about a dealer and a dog named Jig and a cat named Kalamazoo. Also gotta love that Rainbow Stew!

Della and the Dealer by Hoyt Axton!!

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/axton-hoyt/della-and-the-dealer-239.html

Mid 80s and sunny today. Rain came thru the overnight hours and we have a slim chance of rain tonight and a very good chance of rain tomorrow.

Sweet Autumn clematis blooming in the tree.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Didn't have a Dog named Boo.... but I had a cat named Bo....lol!

Kelli I have to agree.
Many of the roads we traveled in the Malibu area and Tijunga were amazing packed w/ foliage.
Course now many of them are burned out........

I'm taking Butterfly and Moth shots faster than I can ID or Edit them.
But it's a 'make hay' situation.
In a few weeks they will be gone for the Winter.
My ID Book.... Butterflies of Ohio came yesterday and it's helping....
Here's what I have so far...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157624771528203/

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Crissy: I had three cats (mother, daughter, granddaughter) named Rootbeer but never one named Kalamazoo! LOL
hooray, Adina! You get to go see DD and Nicholas! Get us lots of that sweet baby sugar! :o))
Pepper: that clematis likes the tree! LOL
Ric: great job with the butterfly pics--you are getting quite a collection!

No hint of autumn around here:
# Today: Abundant sunshine. Hot. High near 95F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: A few passing clouds, otherwise generally clear. Low 69F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Augusta Duelberg salvia--I had Henry Duelberg, too, but he didn't make it through our hot summer. Got both of them at the RU in May.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Our friend, Sunfarm (KY Sally) needs our prayers, folks. She is facing a difficult time ahead of her and needs our prayers for strength, encouragement, wisdom and grace. Please remember her in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

57* and chilly. I hope we get rain today!

Celia, thanks for the hug!

Kelli, reading about the phone prefixes reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, LOL! They can keep their expensive property!

Pepper, it might be Canada Tick Trefoil. One is Canada and one is Illinois. It's showing up all over here now. I dug a plant years ago down the railroad tracks but when I transplanted it a few years after, I lost it. I just got another plant last fall, but it's not the deep gorgeous purple I once had.

Bernie, I hear you on good cabinet framing. I always wonder why my heavy dishes haven't pulled my 1963 cabinets off the wall yet.

Marsue, the dogs are adorable and so are your neighbors :o)

Chrissy, I remember the song :o)

Kelli, I'd love to see a video of the Red Rock Canyon Road! Smiling over Ric :o)

Adina, it is, and it's called Prairie Sun. I grew them from seed and they are perennial for me. I love them!! I don't envy you the paper work. Is the one for Romania so he can visit? Smiling over the moon! Wasn't it a neat one!

Pepper, we were in another town and they let their clematis grow ion the ground along a sidewalk. It looked really good. I like it in a tree too!

Ric, I agree, get pictures while you can! I'll get back to your pictures. Maybe I'll confirm what I have that are unnamed!

Marsue, Root Beer is an interesting name. All my runts were and are named Petey.
I love salvias!

Sunfarm, you ARE in my thoughts!

Missing Dyson.

I looked up while mowing and saw pelicans on the move.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks, all. I am having surgery tomorrow and will be away from my computer probably until the end of the month. I ask not for prayers of healing but for the grace to accept the reality that my breast cancer from last year has metastasized and to have the wisdom to make the right decisions about those things that are within my control or influence.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Sally-sun)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Oh Sally lots and lots of prayers are going up to you!!! Big big big (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))) too

Currently storming. Has been raining off and on all day. High was probably in the 80s though it felt more like high 70s.

Sunfarm, big hugs to you!! Good luck with your fight. I sincerely hope it all works out for the best for you.

Lime Sorbet petunias. They have been blooming non-stop all summer long.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sally you are in our Hearts here!
((((Sally))))

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

66°F
High 69°
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 61°
Pressure: 29.76 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 46 min
Through 11am: Mostly cloudy with increasing winds. Temperatures steady in the low 60s. Winds WNW at 15 to 20 mph.
Today: Overcast. High 69F. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph.

I didn't get any farther with the apples than to move them to where I can get at them. I DID get things watered because I knew we weren't going to get any rain, and we didn't. I've also got all but the iris cut back. But only a few more of them to go. DH cleaned a half bucket of walnuts. They might be good this year. They sure weren't last year.

Sunfarm, I've already been praying. Leave that to us and concentrate on the things you need to do. My heart is with you!!

Pepper, I'm glad you weren't in the tornado area! Beautiful petunias!

I've been meaning to get a picture of the neighbor cat's mouth. The side view was what I got so far :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Praying for KySally today and in the days to come.

Pepper: beautiful petunias--I'm going to have to find some of those next year!
BP: we came up with the name "Rootbeer" for the cat because of the color of their fur--it was actually multi-colored but the the main color was the color of Rootbeer. We called the cat "Rooty" and then the daughter was Rooty, Jr., etc. LOL Speaking of cats, all I can say of your neighbor's cat is "Yike!".

Somebody needs to tell our weather that summer is gone!
# Today: Isolated thunderstorms this morning. Skies will become partly cloudy this afternoon. Hot. High 94F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Some clouds. Low 66F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph.

Friday went to the groomers yesterday. Those bows lasted about 30 seconds after I took this photo! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
noonamah, Australia

Sunfarm, best wishes from Down Under, hope all goes well.

Kelli, I understand the US used to have one native parrot, but habitat destruction brought about its demise. I finally got some of my bushwalking (trekking) photos up. It's the first time I've put anything up on that site, just hope I didn't muck things up. The link:
http://cubits.org/bushwalking/articles/view/643/

Now I've started, there's lots of other walks for which I'll have to post photos.

Henryr10, liked all those butterflies, some great photography there.

Minimum overnight temperature went down to 23.7C (74.7F), and today the maximum was up to 36.8C (98.2F). That was at my place. The official weather station about 5 kilometres down the road from here recorded a maximum of 37.6C (99.7F). It continues to rain south of us, but nothing here. Although the weather bureau expects a little rain by the weekend. Fingers and toes crossed!

An unusual situation. With all the rain in the desert, I took this photo of a wasp with a spider. They were both in water and although the wasp had got the better of the spider, try as it may, it just couldn't get the spider out of the water. But it refused to give up.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Neat photo, Tropic! That wasp really wanted that spider! LOL

(Zone 7a)

What a great picture! Nice find, TB.

Sally, many hugs and good thoughts headed your way.

Mau, Rootbeer is a great name. I'll have to keep that in mind as a future goldfish name. Friday looks sweet, but yeah, the bows are a little too much "Lord Fauntleroy". http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/clothing/boys/fauntleroy/index.html

Quoting:
reading about the phone prefixes reminds me of a Seinfeld episode

Back when Seinfeld was on, I didn't watch t.v., so I never saw that one, but I've heard that where there are a lot of area codes in a smallish area, there is area code snobbery. For example, out here, 818 is uncool, and supposedly it is even used as an adjective, e.g., "You are so 818." I've never heard anyone use that in real life, but maybe they do in the 213 or 310 area code. BTW, I live in the 818 area code and I am "so 818" and not ashamed of it. ;-) As far as a series of numbers goes, I think 818 looks better than 310. 310 looks fat. (As for the not watching t.v., where I lived at the time, I couldn't get any t.v. reception without having cable and I didn't want to spend the money. That's all.)

Weather today should be seasonal - sunny and around 90F.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That's interesting about Little Lord Fauntleroy, Kelli. I have heard the name all my life but never knew the history of it. Definitely no bows for Friday! LOL

Also, funny about the area codes. Arkansas for many years had just one area code but acquired two more area codes as the population has grown in certain areas (mainly NW AR). No snobbery here, LOL!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the comments on the Butterflies.
Mau got me back into them again.

I just got my first bifocals (nearsighted and don't wear glasses to read) and they are giving me fits on the 'puter.
I'm not a touch typist and that parts OK anyway.
The are Progressive (no line) and it's the transition area that's really going to take so getting used to. Plus my screen's wider than the focus area.... errr..... lol!
I think I'm going to get another pair for online and driving.

Ric, my mom has those types of bifocals and has had them for many years. She still isn't used to them and has to move her head around all the time to be able to use them. lol

Cloudy and coolish today. Rain in the area but mainly scattered sprinkles.

Don Juan in it's new home. It has already put out some new growth. The clematis I cut back is in front of it and it has come back with new growth as well.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yep the reviews are great EXCEPT for computer work and TV.
My vision insurance kicks in Oct 1st..... I'll get some non-bifocal ones then.
Otherwise they are pretty cool!

Ric

Kelli that's funny about the area codes! I lived in 209 and the people in San Jose 408 or Pleasanton 510 used to dog the 209 area code because they were 'valley' LOL!!!

Ric I'm nearsighted and still don't wear bifocals. I think I've decided that since I get motion sick I'll either get the lined bifocals when the time comes or just have two pairs of glasses. A gal I work with just got bifocal contacts, I need to ask her how those are doing.

(Zone 7a)

Crissy and Ric, I did the 2 pair of glasses thing for awhile. One to read and the other for everything else. Didn't work out so well. I have new lined bifocals now and they don't work for the computer so I just leave my old reading glasses on the desk. They work just fine for that.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

(((((((((((((((((Sallysun))))))))))))))))), thinking of you and sending prayers. Please, keep us posted.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Adina: Sallysun's DD will be sending out emails periodically to those who requested updates on Sally. I asked to be put on her list so whenever I hear anything, I will keep you all posted. Haven't heard anything yet about how the surgery went yesterday.

All you bifocal wearers, how about trifocals?! I've been wearing them for years--no lines, no problems. True, you have to get accustomed to them at first but then it is a piece of cake! I don't have a bit of trouble with them at the computer, either.

# Today: Partly cloudy. Hot. High 91F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Mainly clear. Low 64F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Still 50* and the sun is starting to shine behind the houses.

Sunfarm, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I sure hope you are feeling ok!

Marsue, I love the names people come up with for their pets. I'm still laughing over the placement of the bows. Is that a guy thing? LOL!

Tropic, how neat to have hikers on completely different turfs :o) How smart of them to preserve the island from overuse. Wow, really nice photos and you really know your plants! I can't believe all the ferns growing there, some I recognize as being sold for houseplants around here. I think a 3' croc could take a pretty good bite. We just watched Croc Attacks with the Grandsons last night. Naturally they talked thru the whole thing :o) The bay and beaches are so beautiful. I like that there are few people to distract from the peace and quiet.

Scary wasp and spider!! Good picture tho!

Kelli, ROTFL over the snobbery. Yep, that was the Seinfield idea :o) I'm with you on not caring and I respect those who do not TV all day.

We also have had our county divided into more area codes. Mine stayed the same. I was upset when they decided we had to dial more than 4 numbers :o)

Ric, you're doing a good thing by documenting the butterfliesflies. Welcome to the age of bifocals. I'm the opposite and it isn't any better. I have to tip my head back some to read.

Pepper, Don Juan is going to be a beautiful bush next year. I can't wait to see it bloom! Love the big blue butterfly!

Marsue, Thank you for offering to keep us all updated on Sally Sun. I'm feeling for her right now. I love sedums. MY neighbor decided to start getting all colors and has a beautiful red one. I just have Autumn Joy, Lynda Wyndsor, Purple Emperor and a pinkish no name.

I haven't identified this one yet.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Thanks you Mau! I hope her surgery went well.

I'm not in bifocals yet and I hope it's going to be a long time before that happens! I do think I'm staring menopause about 10 years too early.

That's a great pic Tropic! That wasp does look nasty, I didn't know they floated on top of the water! Yikes!!

I have a lot of work to do again today, plus today is my clean my office day! Woo Hoo!!!

DH had those progressive glasses and he didn't like them. I think he went back to the traditional bifocals with his last pair. I can see (or can't see, ha, ha) that I am going to need bifocals soon. The tiny print like is getting tough. In the morning, it is kind of hard to read the newspaper. (Later in the day is o.k.) I have never had good eyes. I have needed glasses all of my life but refused to wear them until I was in high school.

Tropic, neat spider picture and nice article. How much does a person really need to watch out for crocodiles? Out here, there sometimes are trailhead signs to warn you of mountain lions or rattlesnakes, but in 23 years I have never seen a mountain lion and I see maybe one rattlesnake a year. The things they show us on t.v. make it sound like Australia is dangerous, with crocodiles, stonefish, box jellyfish, and funnelweb spiders.

Crissy, for the past 5+ years I thought I was maybe starting menopause but after I gave up sugar and cut way back on the "good" carbs, the night sweats and junk like that went away. BTW, I'm "valley", too, just a different valley.

BP, how would you like having to dial 11 numbers every time you call? They have overlaid the 818 area code with 747. What that means is if you live in the old 818 region, you might have area code 818 or you might have 747. The way this works out is that if I call any number, I have to use the area code, even if I am calling another 818 number. (I hardly make any calls, so it is no big deal.) BTW, shouldn't 747 be a Seattle area code? Get it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.