September Weather

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

58°F High 75°
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 52°
Pressure: 30.08 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Through 11am: Partly to mostly sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 50s. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph.
Today: Partly cloudy. High around 75F. Winds ESE at 10 to 15 mph:

I'm runing late this morning.

Chrissy, it seems like we still have to Doctor ourselves. I'm glad you got thru to them about your asthma. Yay on no cavities!!

Pepper, love the spider!

Adina I really enjoyed all your pictures! Nicholas is changing so much already. I love the sleeping picture with Mom! You will be a great Grandma. Half of it is trying to listen to everything they say. My eyes glaze over, but they're too young to notice that right now, LOL! I really hope the job hunting works out for you. When you sell your house, do it in full bloom. Your Zinnia bed is my envy!

noonamah, Australia

Been getting some cloud here, rain though is in short supply. It'll come, but sooner would be better. The minimum this morning was 22.2C (72.0F) and the maximum this afternoon was 36.4C (97.5F).

Early morning light at my place a few days ago - clouds of unfulfilled promises.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Crissy: sounds like you to need to change doctors--find an old grampa-like doctor. You will stay out of trouble that way! LOL
Pepper: that wooden spider would cause nightmares for an arachnaphobe!
I'm not exactly an arachnaphobe but I do not like spiders!!
Adina: Nicholas is precious and such a sweet face! Loved all the photos of him and those of your gardens, too,. It seems a shame to go off and leave your lovely new home but I understand perfectly your desire to live close to your DD and Nicholas. Good luck in finding jobs for you and Cece. Do you speak Italian, too? It seems that Europeans are all multi-lingual while here in the U.S. we just think everybody should speak English so we won't have to put forth the effort of learning a foreign language. We Americans are spoiled!
Tropic: it still amazes me how hot it is over there in your "winter"!

One of the local TV weather guys this morning said that Little Rock-the capital city which is 30 miles south of me--had 3/4 inch of rain yesterday at the official weather station at the airport. I rather imagine we got that much, as well, although I don't have a rain guage. The ground has already pretty much soaked it up--like a sponge! Even so, there are flash flood watches out across the state.
Current conditions as of 7:55 a.m.
Partly Cloudy
Feels Like:
77 °F
Barometer:
29.95 in and steady
Humidity:
94 %
Visibility:
10 mi
Dewpoint:
72 °F
Wind:
ESE
Sunrise:
6:46 AM
Sunset:
7:24 PM
The Northwestern part of our state is getting lots of rain this morning from the effects of former Tropical Storm Hermine. We are overcast but no rain--it may not make it down to the central portion of the state where I live. Still, the clouds do keep things cooler. It is very humid, though.
# Today: Rain showers in the morning with thunderstorms developing for the afternoon. Humid. High 86F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
# Tonight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Humid. Low 72F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Adina those pics are awesome and yes, I like the zinnia bed the most too! Nicholas is changing already, he is adorable! I agree, try to put your house up for sale in full bloom. I know, your thinking, "In a perfect world!" LOL

I was running late this morning too, did not want to get out of bed!

The tornadoes fizzled again, thank God, and I had the strangest thing happen when I went to bed last night. I laid down flat on my back because I wanted to watch some TV, but it was killing me to do so with this rib muscle pleurisy whatever it is, but it moved from the far right side kind of under my bra strap to the bottom of my rib cage in front. I was in so much pain I rolled over onto my left side and things started moving in there. After it all settled down I rolled back over onto my back and the pain was gone! I can still feel it but not near as bad. The inhaler is already working, I'm not all itchy in my bronchial tubes and I can actually laugh a little without coughing myself to oblivion. It's just borderline Asthma so that's good.

That's a nice pic Tropic, makes me want to take a vacation lol

LOL Mau, no I'm not changing drs, we both go to him so it's all good, thank goodness Dave's not the jealous type!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Okay, then, Crissy--if your Dave is agreeable with it, then I am too! (not that you need my permission--LOL)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

½" of rain in the gauge at 8AM & still raining now.
50 some degrees. Feels cold!

Might put a damper on market today.

I guess it's time to work more on cabinets.

Yes, I do need your permission! LOL Dave's always telling me he was born on a day, but not yesterday! LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOL! That's a good one!

LOL Yea he has a whole bunch of them. I should write them down so I can remember them as he says them. I should get out of my pj's and go check the rain gauge.

Out of all the rain we got yesterday and today, we got 1/2 inch here at the house.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Drizzly for the most part all day. Occasional showers but mostly just a cold drizzle. Temps hit mid 70s I think but now we are low 70s maybe high 60s. Been a bit chilly all day.

Heart of the Jungle ee and switchgrass.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

56°F High 73°
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 52°
Pressure: 29.96 in
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 3 min
Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the upper 50s. Winds E at 10 to 15 mph.
Today: A mix of clouds and sun. High 73F. Winds ESE at 10 to 20 mph
Showers this evening then thundershowers developing overnight. Low near 60F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%

Tropic, what a beautiful picture! They do look like rain clouds, so I hope sooner than later for you too. I noticed the last rain we got did not save my Astilbes and if I don't get out there and water, I'm going to lose a couple. I think I need to mark and move them so I can keep them watered better.

Marsue, I always imagine every root underground soaking up the rain as fast as it comes too.

Wow, Chrissy, that is strange. It sounds like you had a fluid mass that moved. A half inch rain sounds good to me!

Bernie, you were getting the rain!

Pepper, either that's mighty big grass or baby EE's :o)

The sun is out and it's cold and breezy this morning. I think I want yesterday back!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Pepper: good photo of the switch grass and ee's.

Yeah, BP; we are never satisfied are we? Remember how we could hardly wait for summer to arrive this year because of the bad winter and when it arrived we were complaining(down here in the south) about the heat and now we are wanting autumn to hurry up? LOL
We are back to hot and humid again. :o~
# Today: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Hot and humid. High 93F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
# Tonight: Isolated thunderstorms this evening, then skies turning partly cloudy after midnight. Humid. Low near 75F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

spathes on the Big Dippers

Thumbnail by marsue
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Thundering at the moment. We don't need more rain!

Getting ready for market. Found a bunch more small pickles. Some ladies will be happy.
Nice bunch of butternut & acorn squash also.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I am a week behind on this thread, so I won't comment much, but it sounds like everyone is getting rain, except me, of course, but that is to be expected.

Our weather is usually pretty constant at this time of year but lately it has been all over the map. It was around 100F over the weekend and then very cloudy and no more than 70F on Tues and Weds. We went hiking on Weds and closer to the coast it was misty. Someone in San Diego County said that it rained, but I don't know if it was real rain or not. Weather is supposed to be more "normal" this weekend - sunny and high 80s.

Hiking pictures are here if you care to look. http://cubits.org/dayhikes/thread/view/34478/ We still have a few flowers going.
(Tropicbreeze, this is my dry season, too, though obviously we have ours in the summer.)

In the middle of this picture you'll find a windmill and water tank. This is a park now, and not a ranch, so it isn't pumping water, but it still spins and groans. We were probably a half mile away from it and could hear it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

No you guys up there in MN don't need more rain! You've had a wet one this summer. Kinda weird because at the end of the year last December AR was 200% above normal on rainfall, now we're like 8" short on rainfall, whatever percentage that comes out to.

Kelli nice to see you!! That's a neat picture, makes you wonder what went on there and when, kinda takes me back in time.

Neat picture Pep!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Got any good boats for sale ? Raining off & on all afternoon. Yard looks like a lake. Puddles are overflowing into other puddles. Ground can't hold any more.

We've been picking between showers. Watermelons, basil & Glads left, I think.
Supposed to be nicer tomorrow. Sure hope so.

I need to get out there in the morning and pick some tomatoes before they all ripen on the plant!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

We are getting a bit of the rain today. Just light showers so far, but we have hope (and forecast) for more. Mild temps, with a high of 72 yesterday and only about 10 degrees cooler than that this morning.

noonamah, Australia

No rain in my corner of the planet. From the look of the sky these days it probably doesn't even know what that word means.

Marsue, winter officially ends here 31 August, so we're almost 2 weeks into spring now.

Crissyr, I like my morning views, even more when there's a lot of colour in the sky.

Billyporter, unfortunately those rain clouds in the photo are now only pixels and memories. Have to wait for the next lot to turn up.

Kelli, I've been looking at some of your hike photos. It's inspired me to get together some of my photos to put up on cubits. I'll post a link when I've uploaded.

CountryGardens, check the floating markets in Bangkok, you might get some good ideas from there ;O)

Overnight minimum temperature at home of 21.0C (69.8F) and maximum today of 37.9C (100.2F). Our cloud of a few days ago has disappeared leaving us with bright blue skies, and a sun with quite a bit of kick. Can't see any rain forming up in the near future unfortunately. But to our south, in the desert country, they're continuing to get way above normal rainfall. And down in the south east of the continent, following a severe drought for the past 15 years and horrific bushfires last year, this year they're under flood waters. The farmers aren't game to complain though just in case it all suddenly disappears.

Galahs (Eolophus roseicapilla) from my visit to the central desert a couple of weeks ago. Although, Galahs are common all over the country.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Tree Flamingos! LOL!
Lovely birds!

Foggy here now.
We had another brief but nice shower.

Temps will be in the 80's now.
I doubt we see 90° again this year.
Good riddance!

Ric

Rain all day yesterday then last night around 8pm an electrical storm rolled thru and not even 30 min later knocked out our electricity for about an hour or so. Since it was pitch black outside we decided to go drive around and see who had power and who didn't and get some ice cream while we were out. When we got back the power was back on.

Today it was foggy early this morning then sunny and high in the high 70s with a nice breeze. We spent the day in Des Moines for my neice's birthday party and just got home about 15 min ago.

This morning I had to move my truck and for some reason my brakes are locking up. We don't know if the back brakes are finally needing replacing after 4 years o if something else is wrong. It sounded like an old lady with nothing better to do other than complain this morning. LOL. We will be working on it tomorrow along with my dad's truck since apparently it's doing the same thing. I just can't win right now. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

55°F
High 82°
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 50°
Pressure: 30.06 in
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 32 min
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures rising towards the low 70s. Winds light and variable.
Today: Mostly sunny. High 82F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.

Marsue, I just can't believe we're heading into winter. Summer, and I use the term losely, went too fast! Gorgeous picture!

Bernie, I think you have had the best garden out of all of us!

Kelli, smiling over the groaning windmill. Love the picture!

Tropic, that's what I need! A spring home to ''snowbird'' to :o) Smiling over the floating markets. Now that is extreme weather. I couldn't be without rain. Ooooh, pretty birds!

Pepper, I like your way of ''riding the storm out'' :o) Hey, sounds like a good song title! Awww Pepper. I hope both trucks are quick fixes and then I'd run and trade them off. Wow on the zinnias!

The boys go home sometime this afternoon. Till then, I won't get much done.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

A disappointing 0.06" in the gauge this morning after the frontal passage. We needed more than that. Forecast temps look pleasant but wish we could get more rain before late in the week.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rain's spotty here too Sunny.
We got maybe .2" yesterday morning.
And judging from the forecast we won't be seeing much more till Thursday or so.
Highs in the low 80's so that will help the watering.

Pep it used to be trucks/cars rarely had back brake problems.
Change shoes every once in a while, turn the drums at 100,000 or so but that was about it.
It was usually brake lines back there.
Now w/ 4 wheel discs and ABS they seem to go out all the time.

I'm finally getting around to organizing, editing and posting all the Butterfly shots from this year on Flickr.
So far I'm up to 25 different ones in the Collection.
Hopefully the two field guides I bought will be in soon....lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, we're needing the fall rain too. I have cracks in the front yard again.

Ric, I hope you link us to Flickr. 25 is an impressive amount. I don't have that many in my pictures yet, but I am getting new ones just in my own yard.

What on earth is that plant? It makes a neat picture. Nice detail on the Monarch!

I set one in the birdbath so I wouldn't have any more drowned bees. It worked, so I added more.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sorry.
Here's the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157624771528203/

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kelli, as always, I enjoyed the hiking photos. I keep expecting you to tell us that you have had a book published of your hiking pics.
Crissy: are we still 8 inches behind on rainfall after this week?
Bernie: wouldn't it be nice if the rain could be spread out evenly over the whole country? :o))
KY Sally: sure hope you get your share of the rainfall! By the way, I'm still holding your hand and squeezing it tight! (((((((((((((((Sally)))))))))))))))))))
Tropic: what pretty birds--love the topknot on the one to the lower left! I imagine with spring and summer heading your way, that your temps will be even higher!
Pepper: so sorry about the vehicle problems--sure hope you get them "fixed" soon! Those zinnias sure add a bright spot to late summer, don't they?
BP: It sure didn't feel like we are heading into winter around here--yesterday it was in the low 90's! "Cooler" today with temps "only" in the high 80's! LOL You will be breathing another sigh of relief when the boys leave only to be wishing them back again in a few days--that's the way it is with grandparents--and that is our privilege! LOL
Ric: I sure hope we can say goodbye to the 90's around here pretty soon! Pretty shot of the Monarch. You are going to be able to write your own field guide! :o))

It was hot and steamy yesterday after our rain in the morning. Still the rain was needed-at least in my area. We have had some rain every day since Wed.
This morning there are no clouds in sight. The plants have all perked up and are saying, "Thank you for the rain!" :o))
# Today: Lots of sunshine. High 87F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph.
# Tonight: A few clouds. Low 57F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, ric--I am gi-normously impressed (to use a phrase that my DGD uses)!!! I'm expecting a "coffee table" book from you, too! With each photo I found myself being amazed at the detail and clarity! GREAT job!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Mau!
I actually am working on it.
Or at least a Website or Cubit for Ohio Butterfly hunters.....

This just came to my attention.
Frank and Jim have gone out on a big limb here for an extremely noble cause.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1124902/

Ric

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

65º sunny. Beautiful day.

Rain is good, mud is about gone.
Our soil takes the water pretty fast. Most fields are well tiled here, so not much standing water. Looks like harvest of corn & soybeans will start in about a week.

BP, I thought you were getting rain every day.

Working on some garden gates for a guy in town. He fenced his whole yard with the white plastic pickets, so making gates to match. Will go put them on this afternoon.

Later I am going to plant some daylilies I bought from Badseed.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Tropic, I love the birds. Out here in a few canyons, there are some green parrots living in the wild. I don't think there are enough to cause an invasiveness problem and I like to see them.

BP, Lifeguard to the Bees, re: the groaning windmill - That is the best word I could come up with for the sound. It isn't a screech and it isn't a creak. Groan is probably a good word on several levels. That windmill has seen a lot, including brush fires, of course.

Mau, there may be a book coming some day. I've got enough pictures accumulated.

Bernie, I wish you lived out here. We would get you to build some cabinets in the kitchen. We have "breakfast area" but never sit there. We just pile the table with junk and have soda cartons and stuff for recycle laying on the floor. I'd like to have built in cabinets over there to stash the stuff. Maybe some day. It isn't real high on the priority list. I'd also like a new dining room table/chairs and a new range top but I hate to spend the money unless it is an emergency. (Every time I clean the range top, I hope it breaks soon so I can get one of those smooth top ones.) The refrigerator makes strange sounds sometimes, too.

Should be fairly seasonal today - high 80s and sunny.

Only two or three more months of dry season left to go!

Thumbnail by Kelli
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: how about a pic of the new gates?
Kelli: Looks kinda like "crop circles" in the center of the photo! Heh, heh, heh.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are on our second flat top electric stove. Old one was wrong color for our new kitchen.
It had been hit by a power surge one winter, so timer & clock didn't work. My stepson has it & still uses it. Everybody claims you can't use a flat top for canning, nonsense, my wife cans a lot on it. Sure easy to keep clean.

If I had a capable truck, I would do cabinets around the country. A lady in Nashville also would like me to do hers. I passed up on one in northern KY.
Might have to do that one of these days.
We did one last winter that was 200 miles from the shop & it worked OK.

Lots of work for this winter already!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Meant to add a picture. This is our kitchen.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

That is the old stove.
This is the sink corner.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Very nice, Bernie! I have white cabinets in my kitchen, too. I think they look crisp and clean!

Nice and sunny.

Got truck fixed. Back brakes basically fell apart so we had to put new ones on.

Some yellow flowers blooming in the pasture.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

A cool morning at 48; temps in the 80s this week, with rain to reappear Thursday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.