September Weather

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

"But now in September the garden has cooled, and with it my possessiveness. The sun warms my back instead of beating on my head ... The harvest has dwindled, and I have grown apart from the intense midsummer relationship that brought it on."
- Robert Finch

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1123624/

YES!! Right now it's 59 with a heat index of 65, today's high is projected to be 85 with a heat index of 87! Wooo Hoooooooo!!

I'm going to go do some weeding

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

53°F Feels Like: 53°
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 50°
Pressure: 29.98 in
Visibility: 9.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 5 min
Through 11am: Partly cloudy with temperatures rising towards the low 70s. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
Today: Mostly Sunny, High 78°
Chance of Precip: 20%
Wind: S at 17 mph
Dyson Dark and Kiska Cool. It's going to be a great day!!

I'm not so far behind..... here! I know where all of you are :o)

Tropic, cool pigeon!! I like the way you deal with mosquitos by making them fish food!

Pepper, the butterfly lady made me smile too :o)

Marsue, cool Turks Cap! I think the Eupatorium in your Picassa photos is Boneset instead of Joe Pye Weed.

Thanks for the new thread Chrissy! I love the way Robert Finch puts it :o)

I've been weeding and cutting back the Phlox and the Daylilies. Boy, does it feel good to make a difference and I can see just how much room I have to move things around. It would be nice to cut more, but the Goldfinches ahd other birds are eating the seeds. Those I did cut, I stood up in the weed patch across the road.

We had a good time at my other neighbor's 50th anniversary party yesterday afternoon.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

That is indeed the perfect quote to start this thread!
Blissfully cool at 44 degrees after going only to 75 yesterday. Yes, it was football weather when the UK Wildcats beat the U. of Louisville Cardinals yesterday afternoon.
It will be warming over the coming days into the 80s, but should remain less humid. We could use some rain.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

54º & sunny. A bit breezy.

Market yesterday was crazy once again. The 3 of us had a hard time keeping up. We sold nearly everything we took along.

Today I plan on getting Daylilies & Iris planted. Both came from DG members at nearly no cost. Sure hard to complain about membership price on here when you can get plants so reasonable. Lot nicer plants than you can buy anywhere.

Sunfarm, any thoughts of popping over to the KY Round Up on the 18th ?
We are going to be there Wednesday & stay until Sunday.

I am sure happy for all the sports announcers. They once again have collage football to mull over. They must goes crazy in the off season! LOL!

Better see about breakfast.
Bernie

noonamah, Australia

We've been getting the weirdest weather. Still the dry season and the past few days have been real wet season instead, hot humid and rainy. I was driving out today and ran into a storm. Suddenly couldn't see anything so edged off the road while I still knew it was flat ground. Was worried someone might plough into me from behind. Trouble is there was lightning crashing all around. So close that the thunder was virtually coming with the flashes and streaks. Felt like a sitting duck, not that you're any better off in a moving vehicle. Just feels better.

Humidity last night varied between 96% and 99% and the minimum temperature was 23.9C (75.0F). Today the maximum got to 33.6C (92.5F). Heat index got up to 42.2C (108.0F). No rain at my place but there was lots all around.

This weather is one or two months early. I don't mind the rain, especially as everything's so dry now. But it makes me wonder what's next. They're saying our first cyclone will arrive before Christmas. Not impossible, but unusual.

We have a couple of pigeons with a 'top knot' like in that last photo. This is an Australian Kestrel having a bite of lunch. Looks like a reasonable sized dragon lizard (Agamidae), most probably Bearded Dragon, Pogona minor or P. mitchelli. Took the photo last week on the way home from holidays.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Nice quote, Crissy! Thanks for the new thread!
BP: thanks for the information on the Eupatorium--I'm going to check that out because I was told that it was Joe Pye Weed. All I know is that the bees and butterflies love it! LOL
Sunfarm: you all really did get cool--wow!
Bernie: have a great time at the KY RU!
Tropic: that is a neat photo of the Kestrel with the lizard but I rather imagine the lizard didn't think it was so neat!

This morning felt "plumb fall-like" (translation from Southern into English= "a lot like Autumn" LOL) It was 54F on my back porch at 7 a.m. --low humidity--felt even cool enough for a sweater--almost!
We're headed back up into the low 90's for tomorrow so Autumn didn't last long.
# Today: Sunny. High 88F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
# Tonight: Generally clear. Low 58F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.

My moon vine is blooming! Hooray!
Here's a link to more photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/Moonvine?authkey=Gv1sRgCPPujuDdlY6x1gE#

Thumbnail by marsue
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

marsue, you're not that far away either.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

I just "killed" a computer virus which came from my DD on Yahoo Messenger. It was like a online message from her with a link to a website and a question in English "Is it you in pic?". I was so stupid to click on it, although I got no answer from DD ...then she called to say it was a virus and not to click on that link...grrrrr! My DS sent me a message too with the same request, not to click that link, but it was too late. I didn't have an antivirus, but I figured my laptop should do something about it...and it did, it has a protection, but not an antivirus, so it said I should download one from Microsoft. I did and it killed the virus...uh, what a relief...thank you, Bill Gates!! Now my DS says he has to find one for DD's laptop too. I guess it's once a year I get such a scare...like last summer when I deleted all my pics...that was disastrous!
Mau, what a gorgeous bloom ! I had a few seeds and sowed them in spring, but I guess I took the plants outside too early and they died...ugh! Thanks for posting the pics so I can see what I lost! Your other album is beautiful too!
Sally, how did you cut back the daylilies? Did you cut their leaves? Dyson dark and Kiska cold sounds awful weather!
Crissy, thanks for starting a new thread...wise words!
Tropic, what an unusual pidgeon!
Bernie, more irises? Wow! Have a great time at the RU!
Sun, funny about the football weather!LOL

It was sunny and warmer today 25C=77F, but the nights are cold 10C=50F. I took lots of pics today in the garden. Posting one from the balcony.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I know, Bernie, but I am going to Mississippi for the Mid-South RU in October so that is probably all the RU I can handle at this point in time, especially with the cost of gasoline, etc. I would love to come to one of the KY ru's one of these days. You folks usually camp out somewhere, don't you?

Adina: I am glad there was no major damage to your computer from that virus!
I'm also glad that you enjoyed my photo albums. Maybe you will have more luck with the moon vine next year. You have a lovely view of your flowers from the balcony--very nice! :o))

It's been a lovely day here. Friday and I were just outside on the back porch, enjoying the nice weather while sitting in the porch swing. There is not a cloud in the sky and the breeze was blowing softly--very pleasant! :o))

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

It is a KOA camp ground, but also has cabins to rent. We get a cabin. Some bring their campers or RV's, or even pup tents.
It's on Lake Barkley, place called Prizer Point.
http://www.prizerpoint.com/

I got my Iris planted. Ground worked up for daylilies. Kind of wet, so will let it dry until tomorrow.
I have a couple rows of Asiatic lilies that I planted for cut flowers, but that didn't work out. Now I need to dig them up & spread them out. I may have some extra bulbs!

This message was edited Sep 5, 2010 6:53 PM

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Bernie, The KY RU sounds like fun, but I am in eastern Kentucky and the distance is just too far for me to travel. It may actually be closer for some of our Arkansas friends than it would be for me. Another nice day for us here, not even hitting 80 degrees.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

67°F Feels Like: 67° High 83°
Past 24-hr: Precip: 0.08 in (est.)
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 53°
Pressure: 29.80 in
Visibility: 10.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 0 hrs 53 min
Variable clouds and windy with scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

We had flashes of lightning from the South at 8:30 pm and rain at 3:45 am. There's 2/10's in my guage, the wind is softly blowing and it's on the edge of chilly. Ahhh beautiful!

Bernie, good to hear you still have garden to sell. I agree, we send and receive nice plants!

Tropic, wow! Now that is a storm! I hear you on wondering what is next. Love the hawk picture. He's a beauty! Quite a tail on the lizard too :o)

Your welcome Marsue. I have it and Joe Pye Weed in my "wild" area. Yes, the bees do love it! LOL over climbing the ladder! What a wonderful flower! I've never had one, but think about planting it.

Adina, we've all been there. It just teaches us that curiosity does kill the cat. We went ahead and bought McAfee with our package and have been happy with it. I deleted all my pictures too. SIL was able to recover quite a few, but not all. I sure learned a lesson that day. I grabbed a handful of daylily and cut all the leaves off within 6'' or so from the crown with scissors. Laughing, it does sound like terrible weather, but right now after all the heat, it feels mighty nice :o) What a neat balcony picture. I'd love to stand there gazing at the flowers!

I'm glad I mowed yesterday. The oldest Grandson is having his Birthday today, so, cake and ice cream after dinner :o)

We were cleaning the last of the grapes when a formation of 4 planes flew over. I ran for the camera, but they were gone. I went back to cleaning grapes and here they came back. I ran crazy circles in the yard and road trying to catch them circling around. I didn't get the neat pictures I could have, but I did get a few.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Another

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

My favorite, and my desktop picture now

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

And last

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Another cool morning here at 45 degrees. Should go into the 80s today, but still tolerable.

Awesome pics BP!

Nice moonflower Mau!

Adina glad you got rid of that virus! I've had them wipe out my whole hard drive before, not a pleasant experience!

Nice Kestrel Tropic! Looks to be about the size of our hawks.

We're having just the best weather this weekend!! I went to Lowes the other day and got a Fireball Luna Hibiscus and a Morning Star Althea, I'll show pics tomorrow when I can download them at work. Me and DH Dave walked up the road to check on our friends who we see all the time and haven't seen them in a couple of months, noticed their 5th wheel is gone so they're on a long trip. Walking back down the hill we stopped to talk to some other neighbors who we say hi to now and then, she has offered if we give her our peaches, plums, and muscadines she will make us jellies! What an awesome trade!! We must have talked to them for an hour, then they came down the road to our house and talked for another hour. I love knowing the neighbors.

I guess it's supposed to get hot again this week, but not as hot as it has been. We all need it to rain down here!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

BP: those are some good pictures of the planes in formation. I have probably asked you this before but can't remember your answer: Where do those planes come from?
Cheer up, Crissy! We are supposed to have a 50%--60% chance of rain on Wednesday! Oh, happy day! (if the weather folks are correct, that is). It is always nice to meet your neighbors and get to know them better, isn't it. I talk to the neighbors on either side of me and occasionally to the one behind me when she is in her yard when I am outside. (We talk to one another through the fence like Tim Taylor did to his neighbor Wilson on the TV show, Home Improvement. LOL) but it is not like it used to be "back in the olden days" when everybody in your neighborhood knew one another.

Our short burst of autumn has given way to summer again. :o(( I'll be glad when it cools off somewhat and stays that way. Autumn and spring are my favorite times of the year--you can have summer and winter! LOL I'll be glad to get some of that rain that "they" are forecasting--it is so dry that my lawn crackles when I walk across it. :o((

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Another relatively cool morning at 53 degrees after a high of 86 yesterday. May have a few showers overnight, but we really need the substantial rain predicted for the end of the week.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Eeek. Where does the time go!

60* and chilly. The wind blew and gusted last night, and I saw lightning and heard deep rumbly thunder, but we got no more rain.

Thanks Chrissy! Wow! An awesome trade is right!

Marsue, I'm not sure. They were over here last year too, split off and did a bit of an air show for us. They didn't stay as long this time. They just split off, circled, left and returned a short time later to head back the way they came. My former neighbor and I did the fence talk too. I miss that. At least we know the new neighbor that bought the house and kind of know the new neighbor farther up the alley.

I'm watering for my neighbor today. They just had the anniversary party and now are going to re-visit their dating places. I thought that was so neat!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hooray. it's raining! We are getting the northeastern edge of Tropical Storm Hermine although we don't have the heavy downpours and high winds like the folks in southeast Texas are experiencing. This will make pulling weeds so much easier. I also have some torch lilies that I want to move and separate so my task will be easier with the ground being softer.

Current conditions as of 8:03 AM CDT
Light Rain Feels Like:
77 °F
Barometer:
30.1 in and steady
Humidity:
94 %
Visibility:
3 mi
Dewpoint:
72 °F
Wind:
S
Sunrise:
6:45 AM
Sunset:
7:27 PM

Forecast:
# Today: Variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms. Humid. High around 85F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
# Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms. Humid. Low near 70F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Big wind today. About the same as Texas hurricane, except we don't make a big deal about it.
Cool today, 50 some.
Same old thing, getting ready for market. Still lots of veggies around, because of nice rainy, hot summer.

Bought wood for trimming house windows. Also floor joists for our deck/porch. Want to get outside of house finished this fall.

Sunny today, 75F, very nice and warm. Strong wind last night here too.
Mau , so glad you got rain!
SallyBP, Happy Belated Birthday for your grandson! What presents did he get? Great pics of the planes! I had to giggle about you running in and out for the camera!LOL
Crissy, we were there too, had to clean-up the hard disk once and lost all from a virus. Can't wait to see the new plants you bought!
Here's the sky while I was waiting for the sun to come out from the clouds so I can get a picture!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This is what I wanted to photograph.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Marsue, I hope you are out dancing in the rain! I couldn't believe how hard our ground was too.

Bernie, laughing!!! Big wind here too and I won't bother to set up the chairs till it's done. I'll bet you get all your jobs done AND start a new one or two :o)

Adina, we got him a flying dinosaur like the one on the set of sheets he picked for himself :o). I think it's a new movie. I never thought I'd be one of those Grandma's so out of touch with the youth. Ha! I am! I love all sky pictures. Each is worthy in it's own right. And the yellow bloom is beautiful!! I'd say you have mastered your camera!

It's 70* sunny, windy and not bad. I think we're removing the bedroom air conditioner later. It will be nice to get my window back. We need the sun now, and if not, I have shades and curtains to close.

This was the moon yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I forgot to add a link. I've been talking to Dinu and he linked me to his water saving article. It's the right time to review choices with a lot of drought going on.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1802/

Hi all! I have to regret that I forgot my camera this morning! Better luck tomorrow, right?

Yes, it rained!! Supposed to rain a bunch more too, oh how do we need it. When did Hermie crop up, I missed the whole thing.

Nice Adina!

That's interesting BP.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm back!! I've been without internet for almost a week. Finally got it all fixed and now have it back. Playing catch-up on here!!

Weather has been pretty nice with a day here and there in the upper 80s. Otherwise high 70s to low 80s. Tomorrow Hermonie starts getting closer and we get chances of rain for a few days.

While I've been without internet I've also been without my truck for a few days. Ignition went out Friday when I was on the way to work. Luckily my dad was home so he drove me to work then went to shop to find out what was wrong. He finally got it fixed today and tomorrow I pick it up. So things have been very eventful around here!!

Have a few new pics to download to comp and will start posting them when I have time again.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

RAIN HERE TOO!!!!!!
At least a 1/2 inch!
First significant rain in 25 days!

Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

50°F
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 46°
Pressure: 30.15 in
Visibility:1 0.0 mi
Time Until Sunrise: 1 hrs 22 min
Through 11am: Sunny with temperatures steady or slowly warming to the mid 50s.
Today: Sunny. High 74F. Winds light and variable.

Crissy, I hope you get all the rain you need! Maybe someday you will need a set-up to catch the rainwater like Dinu.

Pepper, if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all :o) Sorry about your truck and computer. Hope it's all fixed now!

Ric, 1/2 inch is a good rain!

It looks to be a good day for us. I'm slowly cutting back plant stems that I don't want to re-seed or that the birds won't eat. It's looking pretty bare in spots :o)

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Only 0.02" in the gauge from last night about 9PM, but we should get some of Hermine's leftovers Friday and possibly Saturday.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bernie: I think BP is correct--you will not only finish the exterior of your house but you will find other projects to complete! :o)) I think you are the kind of man who doesn't like to be idle.
Adina: nice shot of the clouds and pretty yellow flower, too! Is that a zinnia?
BP: interesting link--he has certainly done his homework!
Pepper: welcome back--glad the truck is fixed--hope the internet problems are solved, too. Did you ever notice how the cable and/or internet companies never pro-rate your bill when you are out of service? GRRRRRR
ric: Hooray--you got some rain! I don't think we got as much as 1/2 inch yesterday but it is raining again this morning--not much but we will take it. We have a 60% chance of more rain today but "they" are saying it will be mainly in the western and northern parts of the stae--which leaves me out. :o(( Still, there is hope. . .

# Today: Rain showers early then thundershowers for the afternoon. Humid. High 86F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
# Tonight: Variably cloudy with scattered thunderstorms. Humid. Low around 70F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 40%.

Rain Rain Rain Rain it started raining at my house at 7:30 this morning and all the while I was at the dentist and dr it was raining!!! Oh how we need it!!!.

Pep I am so sorry too for your troubles, I hate not having a vehicle, glad your dad was home and able to rescue you last Friday. Yikes!

The dentist took a whopping 30 minutes and no cavities! That's a first!!!

The dr did a COPD/Asthma test on me and I am officially borderline Asthmatic, which I told him that a coupe of years ago, diagnosed probably 10 years ago, but there were no tests to prove it, so now it's on record. He gave me a sample of Symbicort and sent me on my merry way. I was going to get a bite to eat but decided to come into work because every time I go see him I have to calm myself down! LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

going to work calms you down, Crissy? LOL Well, if you are going to have asthma, I suppose it is good to make it "official". Is that what was bothering you when we were at Charlotte's?

Hooray! We did get more rain--in fact it rained for at least 2 hours, maybe longer and boy did we need it. It has stopped now but looks like it could start up again any minute. This will surely perk up all the plants--not to mention the grass--and the weeds!! Hey, I'm not complaining--I'll even take the weeds! LOL

LOL Getting away from my hot dr calms me down. We're the same age and seem to have a lot in common so we get to talking about something we'll sit there and chat for 10 minutes, plus he's hot, so sitting here at work yes calms me down. I walked in about 10:30 and went to my office, one of the gals walked in my office and I was fanning myself LOL!!! I told her now that I'm away from him until the next ailment I can calm down!

Yes, it is what was bothering me and Yes, I still have it. I'm just glad I know for sure what's going on and that it's official now. Hopefully the Symbicort will get rid of it.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Pretty decent here but the humidity is up. Clouds started rolling in this afternoon but the sun broke thru a few times. Not too bad out.

Hermine will hit us but barely it appears. The worst of it should be south of here. Plenty of rain coming but not as much as first predicted.

Back of wooden spider at Powell Gardens. The Big Bugs exhibit is there til Oct 3rd.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Wow Pep, that's neat!

There's a storm that's been producing a tornado for 3 hours now headed right for us, it popped up at 4:30 just south of Washington, AR. I keep thinking that it's going to weaken but it doesn't. I've been chanting fizzle fizzle fizzle for a long time now.

Ok, it fizzled! Yes!!

This message was edited Sep 8, 2010 7:11 PM

And another tornado tracking the same path as the previous one, and at 10:00pm they put us in a tornado watch until 5am. I'm not happy.

I've finally finished the article...yiipeee!
Crissy, so sorry you have asthma, but it's good you have it officially so you can treat it. ..especially when you have a HOT doctor!LOL Stay safe from the tornado and keep us posted!
Mau, yes, it's a zinnia. I was in a "taking pictures" mood that day and everything seemed to be a good subject!LOL
SallyBP, I wonder how am I going to be as a grandma, if I'm ever going to be next to Nicholas and any other of my other grandkids...which I hope I'll get from my children!LOL
In the meantime I had some really busy days here, at work and at home. My boss wants me to work for all the days I'll be away, but I don't mind. He's nice to let me go as it is, without cutting off of my salary.
At home we had to search for a hotel where the Godparents will stay...we found a perfect one in Lugano. Andreea wanted us to help her with the search because she got discouraged by the 2 hotels in Campione, which had too expensive rooms.
Also, Cici wanted to start applying for a job for him in Switzerland or Italy, so we can leave the country and be with the kids. I had to write 3 CVs for him , one in Italian, one in English and one in Romanian. It seems there is a program in the European Union about getting nurses and medical doctors from Romania. So many of them have already gone and they are still more for leaving. The salary here is a disgrace and I can't blame them when we want the same thing. Life is too short to live it only for paying debts or just for buying food to survive from one day to another!
Anyway, we got an answer from the website we applied at, but I guess it was just an automatic one. Cici wants to call them and ask what if he is blind...massage is blinds usual job, but many employers don't want them around. I can't wait to hear what they will have to say.
Here's a link to my newest album with pics from my garden :

http://picasaweb.google.ro/adinamiti/GradinaSeptembrie?authkey=Gv1sRgCO7ep6n14O6FJQ#

And with pics of Nicholas :

http://picasaweb.google.ro/adinamiti/Nicholas3?authkey=Gv1sRgCN3Ur9-b68vM5wE#

Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.