Meyer lemon's cold tolerance

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello all,

I have a Meyer lemon that I keep outside in the summer. The forecast is saying it will get below 50 degrees Friday night. I can't remember where but I think I read that Meyer lemons can't take weather below that temp. I checked the USDA zones Meyers like and the zones can get a lot colder than that. What do you all think? Should I leave it outside and see if it's ok? I normally keep it out a few more weeks into September but I'm worried about the sudden chill. I have a Bearss lime too but I think they are a bit hardier or am I wrong about that?

I'll probably just play it safe and bring them both in but I'd like to let them enjoy the outdoors as long as they can.

Thanks!

Alfred Station, NY(Zone 5b)

Below 50 is OK, but you don't want to leave it out if it will get to freezing or below.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Good, then it can soak up the outdoors a little longer! Thanks!

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

I think I remember reading somewhere that all citrus plants stop growing when the temperature drops below 50 degrees which may be where you came up with that figure. But I think all citrus will be OK as long as it stays above freezing, just that the plant will not grow until the temperature is above 50.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

My Improved Meyers Lemon can handle low 20's before it loses leaves. It starts to get branch damage in the upper teens. If it is in a pot, then just bring it in if it gets below freezing or push it up against the house with the pot covered in a blanket. If you go below 26F in a pot, you are asking for trouble.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.