What to plant in late summer/early fall (Like, NOW!)

Cambridge, MA

Hi,

On a quick trip to my Home Depot, I saw some interesting plants for sale. However, as a beginning gardener I am wondering what is safe to plant now.

I have a shaded area in my yard that now sits empty since my day lilies died (probably from lack of watering this hot, sunny summer).

I was intrigued by Liriope spicata and Heuchera Venus, beautiful plants for shady areas. However, I know nothing about planting in fall.

Can I safely buy and plant these? Are there other suggestions for perennials that can be planted in late summer/early fall in a shady area? I am looking for something that will offer color/shape through the fall/winter, if possible.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Fall is ideal for planting perennial, shrubs and trees. So go ahead! Water as needed.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Agree with Victor, also fall is best time to plant bulbs

South Hamilton, MA

But eastern MA needs rain so badly, I am afraid to plant, except for bulbs.

Thomaston, CT

Heuchera is very hardy....I would plant it now...also hostas & ferns for the shade garden. I just planted a fern a few weeks ago, & it's doing fine despite the heat.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

don't be surprised to see those daylily come back - hard to kill them! i agree with planting in the fall - one of the best times - hopefully we will have some rain to ease up on the water bill.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Spring flowering bulbs and bearded iris are usually planted in the fall. Shrubs, roses and trees do really well planted in the fall as everyone has said above. Tough perennials like DLs and hosta also. Myself I do not plant a lot of perennials other than those unless it is a large and well established plant with a good healthy root system and don't forget to mulch (keep it away from crown of plant) to keep the soil temps consistent over the first winter particularly. Good prices can be found this time of year and if it is a good sized healthy plant it is worth a shot specially now with the temps cooling and hopefully more regular rain. Good luck with your garden.

South Hamilton, MA

In this climate bearded iris whould be planted by now. Oops still have 2 to plant. If we get some rain, will move some of them around which I like to finish in Aug.

New Boston, NH

The fall is my favorite time to plant it gives thing a big boost on next year,the draught is letting up and when it is going on I make major effort to water any new plants.With the sever draught we had this summer speaking to folks knowledge about artisian wells the held their water very well ,I was panicing about watering and speaking to these folks who actually open their wells and measured the levels were surprisingly high.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.