My hibiscus this summer

Los Angeles, CA

Hi All,

I wanted to share some of my blooms I've had this summer and last with you other enthusiasts.

First up is white lightning

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 5:32 AM

Thumbnail by Gibberillins
Los Angeles, CA

Belle du Jour

Los Angeles, CA

Young at Heart

This message was edited Sep 1, 2010 5:28 AM

Los Angeles, CA

Long Tall Sally

Los Angeles, CA

Cinnamon Girl

Shes doing what she does best, sporting multiples :)

Los Angeles, CA

Time for magic

Los Angeles, CA

Rockets Red Glare

Los Angeles, CA

Heavens Scent

Los Angeles, CA

Wild Dream

Los Angeles, CA

Burnished Gold triplets

Los Angeles, CA

Haute Couture

These are both first and second day blooms, with the second day bloom being in front. This plant bloomed in the fall indoors.

Los Angeles, CA

Acapulco Gold

Los Angeles, CA

Black Dragon

Los Angeles, CA

Dragon's Breath

Los Angeles, CA

Sunkissed Blonde

Los Angeles, CA

Flickering Flame

Los Angeles, CA

Bonnie Lass

Los Angeles, CA

Black Dragon and Dragon heart

Los Angeles, CA

Vin Extraordinaire

Los Angeles, CA

Burnt Saffron

Los Angeles, CA

Byron Metts

Los Angeles, CA

Cindy's Heart

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

You have a beautiful collection. Do you raise these for sale or just pleasure?

Los Angeles, CA

Thanks peg!
For the pure enjoyment and heartbreak of them. I might start to do some small scale propagation on some just so I can keep fueling the hobby, it gets really expensive!

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Really beautiful collection....I am so envious of your Cindy's Heart...I want one badly but HVH does not have any at the moment :(

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

You must keep these in a greenhouse for the winter. ???

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Chris! Cinnamon Girl looks really happy and decked out with all her 'accessories'. Sunkissed Blonde is aptly named isn't she? And Vin Extraordinaire is simply gorgeous. I can't wait to get some blooms on my Haute Couture!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Awesome display Chris! Don't know which one I like best! They are all so perfect. Actually, I lied, I think I like VE best, but that doesn't mean that I don't love the others too! ;)

Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for the comments!

I wintered all these indoors in my apartment. Luckily I had some bright southern windows, in fact most of these blooms were taken on indoor plants!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Very nice well rounded collection. Good choices.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

And I have only a few, but am ready to pollinate and graft. I pollinated 3 of my blooms on my hardy hib this week. Can't wait to see if I get seeds. I've read all about grafting. I think it was Gibberllins that started that thread which was very clear. Hopefully I can get some root stock to start with soon.

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Correction to that last post....my bad. It was Bulpit007 that gave great grafting instructions, but Gibberlins is an expert too.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Hahaha, I gave you grafting instructions? R u sure? I just did my first graft on Saturday with the help from everyone here on DG. If I gave you any instructions, I would like to pass the praise to either Mike, Dee, Jon, or Patrick, they are the experts that have helped me. Thanks for making me smile though ;) Good luck with everything. Heard you got Heavy Metal. Such an awesome cv. I love that one! Let me know how you make out with everything!

Los Angeles, CA

Oh Heavy Metal :) That is one that I decided I needed recently. Geez where am I going to put all these plants! :P

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Bulpit007: Well, I am going to try your instructions anyway. I'll just have to trust thay they work.
I ordered some seeds from the Int. Hib Society so I am tryig those too.
All of you are slowing dragging me into Hibs as my specialty .....that is some day.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Hi Peg!

I hope the instructions work for both our sakes because I did a graft this Saturday on Silver Memories. And yes, we will drag you into this totally. I was interested in having 5 or 6 when I first started. And I went on HVH site and looked at the galleries and picked which ones I wanted. Then I found DG, and everyone puts up their beautiful photos and then you add this one and that one to your list and before you know it, you have 20ish... So, yeah, your in for it!

What seeds did you order? I am cross pollinating some of my own. I have a Belle du Jour X Saffron pod that is going to be ready pretty soon. And I also have a mystery pod on my Cindy's Heart. It is pretty big, but a bit wrinkly, so that may be bad. I have some pods on my garden variety, Belle X Baja Breeze & Saffron X Baja Breeze. I also have 10 pods on my hardy Lord Baltimore (if any one wants any of those)? The plant was blooming beautifully all summer, but nothing now that there are pods on it. Is that normal, for blooming to stop while pods are on the plant?

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Kristen, yes, it is normal for flower production to first slow down considerably, and then stop altogether as seed pods begin replacing the blooms on Hardy Hibiscus

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

I have pollinated my hardy which I don't know the name of. The hard part is I can only do that in the morning or late afternoon after I get home. This isn't giving me the be time of the flower's life to do that, but I will keep trying. The first pollination fell off this morning. It didn't take, but I did 2 more that I am waiting on. Hopefully my Hardy will continue to bloom all during September.
The Intl Hib Society has replied that they will send me 20 seeds for the $6 postage. That will be a challenge, but I have a greenhouse for the winter and maybe a little space on my kitchen window sills if I move the Rex Begonias out of the way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.