Move or not to Move.......Help????

West Chester, PA(Zone 6b)

I have a very old hydrangea.....it has been growing in front of my porch for at least 50 years, so my husband says......anyway it is very old and big. It used to be shaded from the afternoon sun, but we had to cut down a large Rhodi that shaded it this spring. I know we have had a very dry and very hot summer here in PA., but the poor thing would shrival up every afternoon when the hot afternoon sun would beat down on it. It still flowered nicely and would recover by evening, but the sun did it's tool on the poor thing. Usually I can dry some flowers, but they are gone now. It is so big I am afraid if I move it I will loose it.....Should I take the chance? I know it is not going to do well if I leave it there, at least not like it should. What do you all think????? I need advice, Please!!!
Terri

I did water it alot trying to help it.......

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Take cuttings immediately in the hopes they'll root for you so you'd have some back-up insurance.

Now is not the preferred time to move a hydrangea. Most people wait until they go dormant and I'm guessing that might be November for you.

West Chester, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the advice pirl. There is a branch that rooted itself already, so I do have that for back up. What is the best way to take a cutting??? I am kinda a novice when it come to Hydrangeas.....As far as waiting until NOv. to move them.....NO problem....it will take me that long to decide where I am going to move it to. LOL I can never make up my mind with flowers....I am Always rearranging......

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's some help on cuttings but disregard the time frame since June and July are gone!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7977612

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.