Fawns in Canon City Colo

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

This is my parents yard in Canon City. These pictures show 3 (4?) fawns, I never could get them to all pose together. They are past the little cute phase, but you can still see a few spots. I stopped photographing when one of the Adult Does showed up, my mother warned me that one of them was protective to the point of being aggressive mean.

Thumbnail by pollengarden
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Two in the Orchard

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure if this one of the original 3, or a fourth one. They started out with 5-6 fawns this Spring.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

For sure their hearing must be exellent . Look at those huge ears. I've never seen a deer with ears so big.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

This type of deer is called Mule Deer, you can guess where they get their name. You are probably familiar with White Tail, they have smaller ears but bigger tails.

Yes, we have whitetails here. I had heard the term muledeer, but never knew what it stood for. I mean, I thought it was some type of deer for shure...just never thought about such big ears. Looks more like rabbit ears to me, but a rabbitdeer would really sound strange.
Thanks for sharing your pics!

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture of an adult doe from last year - the big ears aren't quite as goofy looking as they are on the fawn, but they are still big

Do they position them sometimes with one facing front and the other to the rear? I think it is so keen to see the acuity of some animals hearing abilities.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

These deer live within the city limits and don't have to worry about hunters or predators, so some of their survival skills might be a little rusty. I haven't noticed them guarding in two directions. It seems like they usually have a herd mentality, mostly facing the same direction.

When the fawns weren't looking at me, they were looking back and forth at each other. I assume if one had panicked and run, they all would have.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2010 8:12 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.