What's in flower in September

Clifton Springs, Australia

The year is racing away...so post your September pretties before Oct. gets here.
This is my first "Matilda" poppy for the year.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
barmera, Australia

A pic of the white flowering Budleah.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Plum blossoms herald the first day of Spring ^_^

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

Dianne you beat me to it. Its raining nonstop here but flowers are appearing everywhere. The daffies , of course, brightening the day. I love the flowering currant ( ribes).
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

My native hibiscus (alogyne) is never without the odd flower even through winter and is now full of buds .

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Thanks to DG friends, I now have a name for this lovely plant. Velvet Groundsel..
Surprisingly , with its large soft leaves,it is not bothered by cold or heat . Looking really nice at the moment. The flower sprays last for along time.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

I have often wondered what that plant is called Jean......a very pretty thing it is too.

Here is my M.stellata....just a little one yet
It cost me $12 last year....they are fairly slow growing but worth it.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

And another Poppy.....lovely mixed colours this variety. "Matilda"

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Jean...the reason that I beat you to it was because I thought that Monday was the 1st.....duh
The Ribes was one of the first plants that I ever bought......didn't do well with it though.
Our blossoms here aren't that advanced, Chrissie.
Colleen....is your Buddleia perfumed?...it certainly flowers well.
Here is a bit of everything.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Lovely spring flowers everyone. Gorgeous poppies there,Dianne.The colours just jump right out at you...
This is a weed,I know,but a pretty one:0)

Thumbnail by brical1

This is for you cestrum...hmm a rose a geranium or an oleander? lol!!

Thumbnail by brical1

No guessing what this is...first for the season...has spent a good part of winter in the mini greenhouse..have brought it out now,until the next frost hits

Thumbnail by brical1

Thumbnail by brical1
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hello everyone, lovely blooms for spring. I was away for a week and came home to a riot of colour, thanks to the Azaleas and verbena. I haven't photoshopped this, but did have the camera set in museum mode by mistake, but believe me, the colours really are glowing!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
barmera, Australia

Beautiful everyone. It would have been lovely to come home to that array of colour Sue. Yes Dianne it smells like honey and the bees love it. This is it's first year, I only planted it last year and it didn't flower. You can have some cuttings when it stops flowering if you want. Anyone else too. I also have a huge mauve one at the front that I chop back every year and it grows to about 10 ft. Beautyiful perfume straight in my bedroom window. Colleen

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Great spring flowers everyone....Sue your gardens are stunning.....

Thumbnail by MyaC
West of Brisbane, Australia

Quote from brical1 :
This is for you cestrum...hmm a rose a geranium or an oleander? lol!!

Doesn't matter, it's pretty!

I agree!
Bay Buds on my big Bay Tree

Thumbnail by

oops forgot to say hi Sue!!!!!!
beautiful as always!

Hibiscus Rose Scott

Thumbnail by brical1
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Chrissy, long time no see. I hope all has been well with you and yours. Thanks Mya for complimenting my garden. That shot was taken purely to capture colour, but it is actually more spread out than that with lots of empty spaces. Am almost ready to make the complete change from cottage to tropical. Its just hard to forego the foxgloves, bulbs, verbena and curry bush!
Judy, thats an awesome hibiscus. Do you get the little caterpillars that strip the leaves? So what was the flower? Rose geranium or what?
This is Aechmea 'Aztec Gold', of course, I'm recycling pics from the bromeliad thread, just incase you haven't been there. No fragrance Cestrum!
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Ah, you're ahead of me Sue :-)
But are they any broms with fragrance??

Spring is in the air this morning...lovely garden Sue.
I haven't got museum mode on my camera,what does it do?

Lovely variety Judy.
Can't wait for Frangipanni pics Mya.
That must be a lovely tree Chrissy.

Jean....did you get a flower on your M.stellata? it might be a bit young.
I remember it was an orphan.
Here is M.soulangiana

Thumbnail by Seachanger

It's drizzling here all grey and wet.
Love all the pretty pictures!
Look at this ...the picture does not do it justice the lilac colour is beautiful soft but intense. This is a label less butterfly bush( label gone missing while I was away) that I grew from one of cestrums cuttings, it's over 6ft tall and about to riot into bloom. I bent over to look at the pretty lilac colour and found a lovely soft fragrance even in the rain. I know why they call these "Summer Lilacs" now mmmm ^_^ and the lush leaves are pretty velvet too.

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

No Dianne. The buds turned out to be leaf buds which are opening nicely, but the bigger magnolia buds look like one may be a flower bud. Have to wait a while yet .
Jean.

My buddleja is growing by the side of the house, behind the tank, so I'll have to go and check to see if the flowerbuds have opened. It is B. salvifolia which I remember you saying you had once and it grew *huge*. The fragrance to my nose is of old-fashioned talcum powder, very different from the typical 'honey' smell of most buddlejas. Tough as old boots in both heat and cold. Surprisingly, it's available in the nurseries and Bunnings too. My plant came from cuttings of my parents' plant which itself was a cutting from a bush growing in front of a neglected old house in Melbourne ...

I love it ! thanks so much. ^_^ every single different cutting took, all in water to start them. Silver Anniversary is in bloom too but the rain has browned the blooms, it's a darling thing too.
Can hardly wait to see the rest bloom later.

It's one of those truly old-fashioned plants that just keeps on going. I'm glad it's only the label that disappeared in your absence and not the plant itself!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Dianne, I love magnolias. I put tow in about 2 years ago, and although they struggled for a bit, they both produced half a dozen flowers each this year! They've gone to leaf now, and I didn't get any pics. Think they were m. soulangiana x.
I was putting yellow flowering Budlejahs on the shelf at Bunnings this week, and although lovely to look at, the fragrance (odour) was a bit reminiscent of cat pee! I had the purple flowering one here a few years ago, but it gave in to the humidity and the saturated soil during the floods.
There are fragrant bromeliads, the most noteable one being Tillandsia cyanea, or Till. lindenii, both very similar in appearance with a smell like cloves. They send up a flower spike in the shape of a paddle (hot pink in high light) and it sends out one blue/purple bloom at a time. The fragrance is strong enough to fill a room.
This is a pic of Tillandsia lindenii last July. I still have flowers going now on my current plants which means it flowers for around 4 months. (May-aug) You can pick these plants up at markets and department stores on occasion.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

I'll have to keep an eye out for it ... but I won't be convinced until I smell it for myself!
Is that yellow buddleja B. madagascariensis? Although it's orange, not yellow. But that's the only buddleja I've had that smells of cat pee. All my yellow B. x weyerianas have a faint honey smell ...
Bugger, now I'm going to have to go to Bunnings tomorrow LOL

Sue, I love the Tillandsia cyanea...I have had a few over time but I can never get them to flower again....they usually kick the bucket.
The colour is amazing.....
I think that I am going to get flowers on my Phalaenopsis.....first time that I have ever had a flower the 2nd year...it must be the situation.
The African Violets love the bathroom too...they are continually in flower.
I might try another T.cyanea.....it might like the bathroom too.
I am waiting for our nursery to bring in the Hoyas...... I want one like Mya's H.Macgillivray.....the company that sells them on Ebay, supplies my nursery, so I will wait.
Here is a flower from my Donut peach....it's going to be loaded soon.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Christchurch, New Zealand

winter hazel, just coming into flower

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Coffs Harbour, Australia

To be honest Cestrum, I didn't look at the label. They looked really lovely though and would have all been sold by the end of the day! You would not believe how quickle people were buying plants when I was there. I wonder if all the Bunnings stores get the same plants? I would think that mine and your climates would be similar enough to warrant that.
Dianne, the trick with Tillandsias is to give them air circulation. Tillandsia cyanea is easier than the usual little grey airplants, because its in soil. When the flower finishes, put it in a basket or something and hang it from a tree, or under an open pergola, somewhere it can get rainwater, fresh air (not cold southerlies) and quite bright light, even full morning sun, then just ignore it. Sometimes it might take two years to get another flower spike, but it will reward you by forming more offsets and eventualy you will have a multi flowering specimen. If it is intoo much shade, the paddle will stay green.
I just nursed a Phaleonopsis through winter by leaving it dry. My first time keeping one alive too, and yes, it looks to be forming flowers on the original spike? I normally would have cut that off, but glad I didn't. You and I sound like we have the same taste in plants. I have a cabinet covered in african violets. I have to move them alittle so they don't get too much sun as it changes position through the seasons, but a once weekly water with african violet fertiliser keeps most of them looking good. I'm convinced the soil mix plays a big part in their performance, as a couple are struggling after I planted them in brom mix because I was having a hasty day. Your peach blossom is gorgeous. I have a dwarf peach which has much darker blossoms. I usually lose the fruit to two hungry dogs who have gourmet tastes.
Theresa, I am not familiar with winter hazel, but the colour of the bud is quite nice. Will you post an open one too?
We've just had a couple of nice showers, which will be good to settle the dust, as the highway upgrade has started and there are roadworks everywhere. Can't comlpain. One mans dust is another weedwomans topsoil!
Sue

Sue, there wasn't a buddleja in sight! I ended up buying a small pot of Tulbaghia simmleri 'Perfumed Lady' (see http://rareplants.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=1010&strPageHistory=related ), which is supposed to have perfumed flowers. I figure even if the perfume is faint, the plant itself will look good next to the Tulbaghia violacea 'Variegata' I bought last week at the Glebe Garden Club Expo (see http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Tulbaghia_Var.html ). The leaves of the one I just bought don't have a noticeably garlic odour when rubbed, unlike the variegated one.

They also had in stock the Radermachera yunnanensis 'Fragrant Empress', which I already have, and a lovely blue hydrangea that looked a little like the old-fashioned lace-cap hydrangeas rather than the pom-pom flowerballs of the more common types. The plant was compact, barely 30cm, but I don't know if it would retain that size when planted out. There were several pink ones but only one blue one left, a beautiful shade. You'd think for $18 they'd identify the plant instead of simply listing it as 'Hydrangea species'! Anyway, I always thought of hydrangeas as cooler-climate plants and as I'll have my hands full growing on my cooler-climate Calycanthus and Dombeya seedlings, I reckon I don't need to add to those. But the shade of blue was truly lovely.

Oh, I also bought an orris root iris, which is supposed to have scented white flowers :-)

cestrum,I guess I'll have to send you a couple of these then to keep your others company. :0)

Thumbnail by brical1

Stinky or scented, Judy? Just out of curiosity because I'm not planning on adding to that collection LOL

Why cestrum,scented of course! :0)

NO! NO! NO!
Get away from me, you evil person LOL

Hmmm,I know your poison!!lol

Yes, it's all too obvious, isn't it LOL (But is it scented???) Actually, I don't know what colour the flowers will be because the label says 'This species has scented pink or white flowers' although the pictures show a pinkish flower. So they're covering their bases!

Here's my Rhodoleia (silk rose), a splurge purchase from Bunnings (naturally) that has been moved around to its (hopefully) now final spot--first into the ground, then into a pot, then a better spot in the ground. It flowers only once a year, hasn't grown much and is still rather straggly (but then, it's been moved from pillar to post) and the flowers aren't scented ... but I think I'll keep it anyway.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.