Where's Earl going??? Guesses

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm betting outer banks looks like it's going to be a big one. Unfortunately I'm supposed to be in NC this weekend, this might be a problem.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I have no clue why they think it's going to take a 45 degree angle and move up to NC...I'm calling northern SC and I'm not pleased to guess that either...stay safe Core!

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

According to our weather guy, we are right on the dividing line between the 40-70 mph winds from the inner banks to the upper Neuse, when they back off to 20-40. He also says he is not expecting a large surge. Hope he's right.

Our boat is hauled out at Bock Marine near Beaufort NC and it's smack in the middle of 40-70, time to take the canvas off. Our trees are all in good shape, just have to tie down the deck furniture and we should be good to go. We've had 70 mph here and it doesn't budge the Chinese egg pots on the deck.

Got the Honda 2000 generator off the boat so if we lose power we can run a fridge and a few llights.

I hope we get a good drenching - we could certainly use that.

Entlie

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I had a generator set up once when a hurricane went by, very useful. I was the only one with lights for a ways. Had enough power for a few lights a fridge and a stereo. Gas grill so everything went fine. I do have to say I was picking up pine "pieces" for a week after that storm.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well I've got tons of Coleman gas canisters for the lantern and stove so I'm all set .. Earl had better start turning to the North soon or we're in for trouble!

Your talk of generators reminds me of my dad in lauderdale a few years ago. They were without power for like a week .. I think it was hurricane Wilma and he absolutely hated taking cold showers so he had a whole house propane generator installed. I'm thinking that doing that probably assured lauderdale never getting a hurricane again .. anyway .. he called me to ask me what the weather was doing .. he said it was horrible they had no radio or tv to keep an eye on the weather .. I said yes you do .. in fact you have 2 radios sitting in the garage! Lol.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Only problem with the whole house generators is they're expensive and you aren't likely to use one for a long time. I think they automatically run once a month so you know whether it's ready to go when you need it or not, that's problem number two, a generator not run is most likely not going to work when you need it.

Funny thing is i live about a mile from the ocean and have never gone more that 12-18 hours without power but my friends in Orlando didn't have power to they're house for almost two weeks when some hurricane went right over the middle of Fl. It was a neighborhood by neighborhood thing and they just happened to be on a street that needed a lot of work to get the power going again.

Earl has that destine for the outer banks look to it. Hopefully it stays out to sea a couple of hundred miles.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

My dad can afford it .. I usually rent a generator if it looks like something nasty may hit .. you can get a 6500 watt for 200 dollars a week. That's powerful enough for a fridge, computer, few lights and tv.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.