Installing a Wireless Network Adapter

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I'm running Windows Vista and I have an Emachines computer. I just bought a Ralink USB Wireless Network Adapter 802.11b/g/n Lan card. It's supposed to be plug and play. And I've installed the software for it. But I can't figure out how to set up the network or get online with it. The minimal instructions that came with it are no help and the on-board help file speaks a technical language I don't comprehend.

According to the computer, the card is good and recognized as a wireless network adapter. But I got a message that said "Plug a cable into the port Local Area Connection." Where is this port? This thing is supposed to be wireless and didn't come with a cable and I'm not sure I have any free ports. I do have a modem plugged into the computer. And I can connect thru my modem, but I want to be able to connect wirelessly with this adapter.

The instructions say I need one available PCI port and one available USB port. I've got the adapter plugged into the USB port. Where's the PCI port and what do I do with it? Am I missing some parts for this adapter? I was under the impression I could plug it in and configure it and be online in minutes. It's been hours and I'm about to pull my hair out. How do I make this thing work before I go bald?

NancyAnn

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser
This thread has 18 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!