does anyone know?????????

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7b)

My neighbor has some of the most beautiful red camilia trees and he has offered me a few cutting to root. I told him I would love to try but don't want to lose the plants. Before he cuts them, does anyone have any ideas on how to root them and how long it takes? Thanks for all the help you can give,
Jackie

Saint Helen, MI(Zone 5a)

Jackie,
Is it Camilia japonica, Camilia sasanqua or Camilia sinensis? There is a big difference in when and how to root them.
Sari

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Sari,
I don't know. The only thing I can say is that it has dark green leaves, grows about 7-8 foot tall and is covered with hugh double red blooms that look like roses from a distance. Does that help?
Jackie

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Hi stormy19,

The japonicas generally will bloom early spring and have very large leaves compared to the sasanquas which bloom fall to early winter and have smaller leaves.

Dirr only addresses japonicas, and cuttings are taken from current years growth anytime between May and November. Take the cutting at the 5th node, use a rooting hormone, and sterilized medium for starting your cuttings. They need to be kept evenly moist under mist or using a poly-tent (plastic bag). Place in a shady location. I believe sasanquas should be similiar to start just be sure to remove any flower buds on the sasanquas.

Sally

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.