2010 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Vol. 8

Marlton, NJ

Thanks everyone for the great shots on the last thread!

Had to start this with a photo from last year. We are beginning another heat wave here starting today, yippee (no not really). :-)

Please join in with your photos!

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

If you would like a look back at the last thread here is the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1121945/

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

Great photos everyone in that last thread.
Mrs. Ed, I wish you'd have been able to hold one of the hummers-it's quite an experience. I know last year when I was a banding volunteer it was a wonderful time to get to see and hold these beautiful birds.

Pelle, you started off with a great shot!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the new thread!!

A male juvie seems to have taken over the hummzinger.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Sandusky, OH

Quote from nanny_56 :
Burd, how do you know they will leave in 5 days?[/quote]

[quote="SusanLouise"]Burd,

Are you talking about your resident birds from the summer? I still don't understand. I can't predict when our migrant hummers will leave...they each have their own variable time. Additionally, surely you also have many migrants that will pass through too?! :)
We still have hummers here til around the 9th of October...and it's not even September yet! :D

The last 2 years Sept. 2nd was the last Ive seen of my Hummer's...I leave the feeder up for a couple more week's after-wards but have not seen "any" after that date. Neighbor's have same results.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Pelle and nanny!

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Burd, hope you have more later on this year! Last year I had them a week later than previous years.

What I'm really loving about this bird camera is that it monitors the population for me. I found I had this one this morning. While I have several shots of it on the feeder, I love how it is just coming into the shot here.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Beautiful start Pelle, lovely hummer shot.
Nanny, looks like he's getting his little ruby jewel on his neck.Cute
Mrs-Ed, that's a neat little tracking gadget. I might look in getting one, to keep track of what come to the feeders, when I'm not around. I might spot some new birds, I don't get to see.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

It's pretty fun Burn!

http://www.wingscapes.com/

From 1:14 this afternoon. An adult Male!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Sandusky, OH

Nice shots all! Pelle thanks for starting the new thread! Feeling the heat here also..low 90's for next 3 day's.

Nice shots Pelle,nanny, Mrs_Ed and Burn!

As far as my hummer's leaving on the same date every year...I,m thinking the RT range and my location could be correct (when they leave here) as it gets cooler up here "earlier" along the lake so Ive probably have had migrants that have already passed through. We shall see I guess.
Some shots from today.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

............2nd

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

3rd....

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

last.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Melbourne, FL

Amazing shots on those fast flyers, Burd.

Boy things are busy for you Mrs. Ed! May have to Santa for one of those cameras.....

Nice shots Burd!

I had my notes of when they left the last 2 years, but now I can't find them.

This is from back on like the !8th of this month...

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

Good one nanny!

I haven't seen a mature male here for over a week but one just came in and was quickly and aggressively chased away by this one who guards the feeder from the apple tree.

Thumbnail by pelletory

Nice one pelle!! I still have 2 mature males around. I seem to have more juvie males than anything else. Not very many females this year it seems.

Marlton, NJ

Hi nanny, I saw the mature male on the feeder this morning and no one bothered him so I guess he won the battle or the other one left. I sat for a long time with the camera but he wouldn't come to the feeder for me again.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice shots everyone! We still have about a few dozen at a time...down quite a bit but enough to keep me entertained. Unfortunately I lost all my photos from the past 10 days...my computer ate them. I have some from this morning to share as soon as I download them.

I hate that computer! ;)

No pictures but a funny story, I saw a hummingbird chase a nuthatch. The nuthatch couldn't be bothered and once the Hummie saw that the Nuthatch was on the tree and not after his precious nectar, he went on his way chasing off another hummer. LOL.

Sandusky, OH

Nice shots Pelle and nanny!

Quote from dellrose :
Unfortunately I lost all my photos from the past 10 days...my computer ate them.

If you didn't delete the photo's yourself then there probably still on the computer but in another location and recoverable. I,m sure you checked the recycle bin already.

Couple from today.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

this guy likes to hover around the feeder making it easier for flight shots...the adult male is in and out too quickly.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

last one.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Marlton, NJ

Very nice shots Burd!

Sat outside early the other morning tryin to get shots.....light was really good enough yet.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Nice shots Burd and Nanny! Burd...yes I checked the recycle bin and the pics aren't there. Maybe someday this monster will spit them up!

Mrs. Ed...Loved your story...I've seen similar incidents with the Hummers chasing House Sparrows and Goldfinch. Also thanks for hating my computer with me...LOL!

I had a terrible discovery the other day. I was checking a feeder and saw a strange silhouette under it. I was heartsick when I realized a little dead Hummer was being eaten by a praying mantis. I have had to relocate several of those suckers this year but this one was quickly sent to the happy hunting grounds in the sky! I tell this story so you all can keep watch...it is an awful thing to see.

On a brighter note...after high temps and everything drying up we finally have rain. Local flooding but I am not complaining and neither are the Hummers. They have been taking baths all day and I wanted to share some pics I took last month of a beauty bathing in the water sprinkler. This is just a sample at what is going on right now...

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

It is so cute the way they fluff their feathers and lift up their head.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This one used the leaves to help with the washing.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

can't forget the top of the head!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Last one...just too pretty!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is a shot to make you laugh!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Excellent shots Rose!! Love the bathing sequence and the last one!

I finally got a pic of the mature male Hummer, wish there could have been more light.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Glad he is more brave than other mature males.

Thumbnail by pelletory
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Pelle and your little male is a beauty.

It is still raining and I am sure enjoying the temporary grounding of the Hummers.

Here is a shot from yesterday when I had the sprinkler going. Not very good focus but I liked the water drop on the beak.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

And this is kind of cute with the two little butt puffs!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Oh Rose I love the water droplet, it almost looks like he's balancing it.

LOL on the two little butt puffs!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Love the cuteness of your two shots Rose.
Pelle, nice little male. Glad he's braver then the others.
I got home around supper time tonight, and the hummers are usually very active at the feeders around this time. Haven't seen any around. I'm hoping they haven't pack their bags yet.
This is from 3 days ago.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Sandusky, OH

Nice shots nanny,dellrose,Pelle and Burn!!
dellrose, agree with Pelle the water droplet is a nice capture!
Well I said the 2nd of Sept. would be the last day...around here they say they leave on Labor Day which is the 6th this year. I'll keep you posted.

Marlton, NJ

Nice shot burn!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.