considering an outside vermicompost system.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Hi I have been vermicomposting for about 3 years inside in my laundry area and I love it but I just don't seem to make enough vermicompost to feed all my veggies and plants, I do all my composting in a rubber-maid tub and there is only so much compost I get, so I am thinking maybe the answer to my dilemma is to just get a bigger box and try to do it outside close to my veggies. I am wondering if any of you have tried this, it does get pretty hot here during the summer months and we do have a few freeze days during the winter months. Also I am not sure why but the vermicompost that I always collect is always wet and mushy and a pain to separate from the worms, I do keep adding newspapers to dry it out but still I think maybe the laundry area just gets too humid. Any suggestions or ideas on how I should do this. Also I have chickens and was wondering if I can feed the worms the chicken manure.

Thanks

Collierville, TN(Zone 7b)

I also use a rubber maid type box. They have been outside since April. I sprinkle with water every few days. I dried it out once but they recovered pretty quick. I did a "split" and now have 2 boxes for more compost. I add rabbit manure and they process it pretty quick. They really whent thru a lot this summer. a couple water mellon rinds too. Chicken manure may be too "hot" unless aged a bit. That would be a great cycle if you could go from chickens=>chicken manure=>worms back to chickens. Slightly wet and well done compost has a glossy sheen to it called black butter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.