Do I have a rebloomer?

Spicer, MN

I was so excited to see this stalk with budding Iris the first week of Aug. This was an Iris that didn't bloom this Spring so am not sure if it would be labeled a rebloomer???

Thumbnail by husker11
Spicer, MN

Update: As the days went by, I realized that the buds were too plentiful and close together. It was deformed/mutant...but it's bright color and smell gave me sweet joy. Would you believe it's name is, 'Cornhusker'?

Thumbnail by husker11
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Now that name was just for you Huh,. Still nice to have that bright color this time of year. That is funny though LOL.

Castlewood, SD

2 cute... & the bright color is pretty fitting too, ;-)

Spicer, MN

I think that was a 'dig' Ayrica! That's alright...just wait & see. :o)

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

What do you mean it's a "mutant"? Sure looks like a cob of corn to me :0) ! I think I'd be glad for any iris bloom this time of year!

If they are going to rebloom, does it take a few years before they will or do they rebloom the first year that they have bloomed in the summer? I planted several last year and they had nice flowers this summer but no signs of activity yet. Wondering if they usually needed to get bigger first?

Castlewood, SD

just a little nudge..lol I'm tickled that you had one bloom for you this late, deformed or not, still looks pretty, & definately brightened my day !! Thanks for posting it ! 8-)

South Hamilton, MA

According to Chuck Chapman (from Canada) there have to be a certain # of leaves before rebloom will occur. It is different for each cultivar.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Very Interesting info. I will tuck it away in the memory bank.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info. Mine are probably too young yet. Hasn't been the best summer anyways with torrential rain every few days.

South Hamilton, MA

send rain here, please.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Be glad to send some rain! Can I add a few slugs also??

My little girl and I have had to make nightly "slug hunts" with the Epson salt. At least the plants benefit from the Epson. We actually have what we called the "slug mecca trail" along the side of our retaining wall. There is this path going up the hill with at least a hundred slugs every night. Yuck! You'd think with nightly salting of every area we find them we'd make a dent in the population.

According to Schreiner regarding reblooming irises. Those that are do not go dormant during the summe, unlike non rebloomers. They also require extra feeding and moisture to produce additional buds later in the season. I have never had them rebloom in my zone 4. Our season is not long enough for them to set additional buds. They may rebloom from zone 5, and ofcourse further south.

Like husker11, I had one iris---Fall Fiesta---bloom late summer because it missed its usual blooming time in June. This happened the year after it was purchased. Never did it again. Resumed blooming at its usual time.

Spicer, MN

That's interesting...I'm in Zone 4 also so won't buy a rebloomer on that fact alone. I've wondered if 'rebloomers' generally have smaller blooms so they don't spend their energy all at one time. '???' I did have an Iris called Matrix that rebloomed for me back in Oct., 2003. I was just starting to become an addict. That probably put the 'nail in the coffin'!

Dancingbear, could you send us a picture of the 'Wall of Slugs'? That has never been a problem here as far as I know so is hard to visualize. Too bad you can't sell them as 'fishbait' like leeches & nightcrawlers...or escargo.(sp)

Years ago when I lived in Massachusetts, I had slugs. Somewhere I read to try using powdered lime or plain wood ashes around plants. Slugs don't like to cross ash or lime since it sticks to their body. Perhaps fine sand will work the same.

If you are not against insecticide, try Sevin in a powder form. I know it works great on pill bugs and earwigs which I tend to have after watering.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.