stump remover..

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

We recently had a LARGE cottonwood removed from our backyard. They left a piece of the stump, that I would like to get rid of (we will be putting sod over the area soon). We have been chopping away at it, but seem to get nowhere with that.
I am all for using the stump remover, but am worried about my nearby plants, and the soon to be sod. Is there one that works well, and wont hurt my plants and sod? I have never used stump remover, so I don't even know if any of them would actually do harm to plants and sod, but I thought I best check here 1st.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

If you want to put sod over the area anytime soon, your best bet is grinding the stump. The chemical stump removers are faster than doing nothing and letting nature take its course, but they're still not fast. Grinding the stump will have it out of your way right away so you can put in your sod. You can pay someone to come and grind it for you, or if you're more of a DIY'er you can see if someplace near you would rent them out.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Stump grinders are easy to operate and that's what I would do. I would get as much stump as possible removed because down the road when the wood rots you'll end up with a depression where the old stump is. If most of the stump gets removed you shouldn't have that problem.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thank you both. I never have had that large of a tree removed, and worried how far down DH would have to hack with his axe. It's great to know that the stump remover still will take a considerable amount of time (tho I didn't think it would happen over night, I sure was wishing). It was a 35 year old tree they ground (for the most part) the stump, but when I dug around the mulch that was left, there was about 10 inches of stump left. DH got out there with his newly sharpened axe, sucked it up, changed his angle, and went to town. :o)

I am not too patient of a person, and seeing the bare ugly spot that was left by the large tree (what was under it, and behind it included) has made me anxious, and I want to get it sodded ASAP. It's amazing how much you actually "see" when you don't have a green tree there blocking your view.

Thanks again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.